[RELEASE] Rachio Community (dashboard + hose timers)

Hi Justin and team,
great work!
I've just played with it a little but but looks very promising!
I want to brainstorm something with you, looking for input and thoughts on how to see which schedule is running on a particular day.

I have a fairly large system with two rachios. One for the front of my house and
one for the rear of my house. 25 valves of which 24 are actively used.

I could have configured the rachio to use a daily flex for all zones, but that would make my dashboard view difficult to read at a glance in the rachio app. So i created a schedule per crop type: Lawns, Bushes/plants, Hedges, Trees, Vegetable garden.
(note you'll find the reseed schedule, i'm reseeding/overseeding my lawn right now and i have a special schedule for that -but it only runs for two weeks of the year in the spring).

All schedule are of the type flexible daily.
In the app i colored each schedule so that they have their own color in the UI. This way i can look at the week at a glance and tell which schedules are running on which day. Without this all i know is that everyday a schedule is running. I do that because the lawns run most of the time and the trees run very unfrequently with the shrubs and plants somewhere in between.

Any chance you could do something similar in your rendering, i think it would be useful.?

This is a quick and dirty dashboard i made with each irrigation zone from the two controllers and the image with the schedule and forecast from the integration.

This is a picture of how the schedule view looks like in the rachio app:

Interesting idea. That would take a good bit of work to do. I might undertake it if there's enough interest in the community - perhaps others can chime in if that's something they would genuinely use.

To be transparent, in my old house i also had a rachio. It was much, much smaller and i just had 3 zones. For that house i used a single schedule.

The second i passed 5-6 zones per controller and i had three different crop types with very different root depths i found that it became necessary to use multiple schedules to visually see in the calendar which crop types would get irrigated in the calendar for that "at-a-glance" type of overview.

While i'm at it, i would like to place a custom label in the graphics if possible. like "front" and "back" rather than the long rachio name. Only useful for those who have more than one rachio, and honestly its a minor point.

FYI I'm going to look into this idea more. I'm pretty sure I can do it without too much trouble.

cool! thanks :clap:

Yesterday I had successfully installed the community package replacing the native integration. It worked like a champ. Overnight it lost connection. When I tried to reinstall to reconfigure, I successfully connect, authenticate, get the API key but on the next screen no controllers are shown in the drop down list. I tried over and over, rebooted the hub, even going back and successfully installing the native integration.

2021-04-25 07:34:28.770 pm [debug]rachioDeviceList(): [:]

2021-04-25 07:34:28.767 pm [error]No user Id found exiting

2021-04-25 07:34:28.762 pm [error]httpGet() Response Exception | Status: 429 | Data: [errors:[[message:1700 daily calls rate limit exceeded.]]]

2021-04-25 07:34:28.311 pm [debug] _httpGet(person/info)

Not sure if the daily rate exceeded error means it will configure properly tomorrow? Or if there is a refresh rate setting I need to adjust accordingly.

What the resolution to your issue? I have the same thing happening to me as my installed Device says null and I get the following error in the logs when trying to access the dashboard for the rachio. I have the Rachio 3 from Costco with 12 zones

So it appears the 12 zone Gen 3 is not supported yet, I added into the controller driver and the app by following the convention of the other models and it worked!

Sorry I am not skilled enough to do a pull request.

Nice. I updated github

1 Like

Awesome work btw!!

1 Like

So my rachio did not water this morning due to a wind skip. However, I am not getting the appropriate icon for that for today's date. See screenshots from Rachio and Hubitat:

Please turn on debug logging, and PM me with the part of the log that starts "Past Events are..."

I was hoping to rename each "Rachio - Zone #" to just "Zone #" to make it more Alexa-friendly, but the app keeps resetting the zones back to "Rachio - Zone #". Is there a way to change this, or do I need to make group names for each zone?

I'll include a way to do this in the next release.

1 Like

Release 2.1:

• Adds Icon Packs that include icons designed with the help of @Equis, a graphics designer. Choose between outlined icons or filled icons. Improved dashboard layout that is more compact, and more robust to varying weather conditions and dashboard configurations. See initial post which has been updated with the new design.
  • Customize device names, e.g., for Alexa
  • Fixes a number of bugs and errors in the logs

I have decided not to continue supporting the old icons and dashboard layout. If you do not wish to switch to the new design, you should not upgrade to the latest version. Hopefully everyone will see this as an improvement!

2 Likes

Looks like support for the 12 zone V3 fell out of the latest release for the Rachio Community app. Still there in the driver

Sorry about that. Updated.

1 Like

Release 2.1.4 reduces the text sent to the log, some of which had snuck into the log even with debug logging turned off.

@JustinL I just got my Rachio 3 twelve zone from Cosco. This community app is great, but the integration appears to be one way. That is saying that if I control my zones from Hubitat, I get all the controls and everything working in the dashboard that I created as expected.

If, on the other hand, I initiate my zones from the mobile app or the web cloud app I do not see any updates happening in the Racho devices you create. That is to say that if I turn on Zone three for 10 minutes in the Rachio mobile app, Hubitat never sees that zone as having been turned on. Ideally, I would want my Hubitat Rachio devices to follow the state of the zones whether the control is from Hubitat, the Rachio cloud web page or the Rachio Mobile app.

Any thoughts? Is the API send only from Hubitat and unable to read status from the Rachio controller or is there a setting I may have missed?

After a lot of testing, it appears that the API being used does not send push events from the controller. That means that if controlling the device from Hubitat, you must either poll the device every minute or so or just be sure to never use any of the Rachio scheduling features, their mobile app or the Rachio cloud web site. If all control is initiated from Hubitat, then Hubitat will know the status of the system. Otherwise, it would be necessary to run a routine polling the Rachio at least every minute 24x7 to be able to track the state of the Rachio controller from Hubitat.