[RELEASE] OwnTracks Presence

Ahh yeh, no, the mobile app won't support that. You can install the Owntracks Recorder locally, and have the locations push through to it, and then you can see past history, speeds, etc:

Ah cheers. I struggled to see how to even install the recorder to be honest. Dockers etc... All new to me.

Thankfully Life360 is working again, and I can continue to pay the £2.50/month which to be fair, is awesome value.

Probably should start your own thread to discuss the new app. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, if the changes are significant (and sounds like they are) best to open a new [Release]... thread and include link back to this thread which your app was developed from.

Excited to try the new app... :slight_smile:

Happy to turn this thread into a reference for the new app if people want that extended functionality. Let me know and I can update the first post!

2 Likes

Sorry, finally got it all into Github. Here is the link to the thread to support it:

4 Likes

Been trying to get Brian's original working. Set up 3 devices for 3 different users (all Android) . Set up the apps exactly the same except the user in the host URL. Getting full detailed updates from my phone, but not my wife's or daughter's. Same phone and service for wife and I. Different phone but same service for daughter's.

Suggestions?

@lpakula I'll check out your new app. I was starting to look at OwnTracks today as a fall back for the semi functional Hubitat Presence app, WebCore Presence and Life 360. I use Presence Combiner for them and I have issues on different phones with each and every one of those. LOL! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I have a full blown server at the house and can spin up anything I need so I was actually looking at running the MQTT Broker but need advice from anyone that has done this on how to get that to talk to HE. I'd also like the ability to set up several locations and push notifications so I know when the kids leave school or we leave work etc. Would be nice to change thermostat settings based on those presences as well.

1 Like

Very basic Q's, but I assume you've enabled location and turned off battery optimization on the other phones? Checked and triple-checked the Host URL? (I'm sure you have, but just covering basics.) :slight_smile:

Basics are important! :slightly_smiling_face:

Just trying to push manually now, so hadn't looked at the battery optimization yet, but will. The URLs are all the same except for the user, which matches the users in the HE devices.

Stupid me... Noob mistake. :shushing_face:

A space got added to the end of the names in the device setup. :man_facepalming:

I installed via HPM and I could not get it to translate the info received from the phone to the virtual presence sensor. Deleted and reinstalled manually and it worked. May have just been an error on my part.

I've updated the first post to highlight @lpakula 's integration that has simplified enrollment compared to my basic integration.

If you're coming here to ditch Life360, please look at this first: [RELEASE] OwnTracks - :gear: Custom Apps and Drivers - Hubitat.

3 Likes

Thank you I did the install and set up one phone with this newer version seemed to go with out issues. quick question is user still required after webhook? it seems to make its own virtual presence device. Is there a way to test with out actually leaving the area to see if it works proper? logs seem fine.

in terms of testing, if you're using android, you can give yourself developer privileges, and then use an app to fake your location. I use "Fake GPS Location PROFESSIONAL" which seems to work fine (and is free). there are lots of online guides....

Not sure if this is where I ask the question? Is there any other information to put in the copy and paste Host line or is it a straight copy and paste from the App in Hubitat? In the previous app we had to insert the user after location is this also true for after webhook? My log is showing the user but not showing when phone departs or arrives.

New app and work being done here:

I was just about to post here with an issue with my Weasley Clock - the Owntracks Presence often seem to show "on" but not always "present". also, I seem to be able to get more than one on/present without an off/not present in between....
But is the collective opinion that I should move to [RELEASE] OwnTracks for Hubitat Presence Detection - #181 by zerosum74
first, and then see how I go? I'm a little torn - things pretty much work right now, so a migration is a touch scary, though it does look very good!

Here is some iOS info I gleaned from the owntracks manual that might help you:

For the case that your battery goes low...

And if you want to automagically change your mode from significant to move:

I do have Geofency but for some reason it just stopped working