[RELEASE] OwnTracks for Hubitat Presence Detection

thank you!!!

so the 'null' is coming from an iphone 15 running iOS 17x whatever... like i said im not an apple guy.

So, since the device ID is 3 characters and I have /name/iphone then why would it not show up as 'one'. On my android it shows the name 'Jessica' on map and in friends list page.

EDIT: ok i misread by initials i assumed 3 characters but you clearly indicated the last 2 (ne).

Let me check that. Seems iOS sends out a "blank" message when the app is first opened. I'll clean that that up in the device.

Yeh, it's odd! Issue for me is both kids have the same initials (parenting fail 101....). :rofl:

Looks like iOS sends an extra trigger type that is different to Android. Let get that corrected.

Where are you having problems?

Ok, that's the issue. By default (for best battery) it's using cell/wifi. But if you are in a fringe area, that won't work well.

I'll expose this a lot easier in the next version, but you will want to:

• Advanced Settings - > Modify Default Settings
  • App Location Settings -> Source/power setting for location updates -> HIGH_POWER
  • Select 'Next'
  • Trigger a publish location from the phone by clicking the up-arrow button in the top of the mobile app

If you had enabled "remote configuration" in the app (the one on post #2 does this by default) it would have pulled this change in when you sent the location.

Hey @lpakula,

I wanted to share my perspective on the current states. For "Presence," I can easily choose between "Present" or "Not Present," as shown in the picture below:

However, when it comes to "Location," I need to input the information manually:

Considering this, I'm a bit uncertain about how "InRegions" would appear in the setup. Apologies for not being more technical—I'm not a developer.

Thanks for your understanding!

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Yeah, most recent version. I uninstalled everything and then did a repair from of HPM and then reinstalled. It looks like it's working normally now, I'm going to let it run just by itself and then add in recorder in a day or two, if I try to do much too quickly it's hard to tell where I'm causing problems. :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looks like the "Enable high accuracy reporting when location is between region radius and this value" was probably blank. Not sure, it should have pre-loaded defaults. weird one!

Ahhh ok. Looks like it would probably need to be in the location field then. I'll get that fixed up.

Actually, checking the code, as is it would work for you. The location field will display the region you are in right now, if you are outside that region, then it's the "distance from home".

If you are looking for a region map in webcore, that should work. Let me know if it does not and I can change something in the driver to support that better.

Anyone see this error before and know how to fix it? If not, I'll have to delete the HE app and reinstall. Every time I try to get into regions I get the following error.

This seems to work properly for me with Webcore.

1 Like

This is my error as well when I open Regions" in the HE app.

Checking into this.

1 Like

I wonder if I created that when I set up a region in each of our android app before opening the region setting in HE.

Looks like the "home place" is undefined. Did you create one, and then delete it in HE? I noticed I don't handle that properly in this version.

I'm not sure. I started this a couple of days ago and came back to it today. When I returned to setting it up it appeared that I hadn't managed to save anything so I started over. I'm wondering if I managed to corrupt the Hubitat install. I can't open configure regions at all. It goes to the unexpected error message.

This seems normal to me for Webcore. This is how I was setup in Life360 as well.

Please excuse the terminology, I'm not sure what everything is called. Presence is a Hubitat standard attribute. When looking in Webcore, any selection with the little house icon in front of it is custom, and Hubitat doesn't have built in support for it. The attribute is added to the driver, and can be used, but isn't a standard attribute. Some standard attributes would include presence, battery, switch, level, etc... Everything here with the little house icon is extra variables provided by the driver.

I believe all of the standard attributes in Hubitat have preset values which can only be selected. Presence is present/not present, level and battery are 0-100, switch is on/off, etc... Though with location, how would Webcore know what your regions are? And they are going to vary from user to user, so I don't think it would be possible to predefine a dropdown.

This is how it is setup using Life360+. Their variable was called address1, but I just did a simple if address1 is (Home, Region2, Region3, etc) then do stuff. If not in a region, address1 would display the closest address, rather than distance from home, but regardless if you are just looking for a region it shouldn't matter

Got it! The more I delve into it, the clearer your setup becomes. I'll keep exploring it for an extended period to figure out how best to work with the current configuration. Some of it involves improving my OwnTracks configuration skills. Appreciate all your efforts on this— it's leaps and bounds ahead of what I could achieve with the free version of Life360. Thanks again! :rocket:

I never saw a home place in Hubitat but I did delete what I thought was a duplicate with a 75 radius in my phone app. I had set the radius as 100 on the ones I created on the phones.