[RELEASE] OwnTracks for Hubitat Presence Detection

All lower case: enter and leave

You can also trigger on present and not present. You should only get a rule trigger when that state changes (which should match enter/leave, but if there was an issue where the phone didn't get the transition event, it would get the presence event on the next update to get back in sync).

Yep that is a weird one. Should transition region never be empty or how does it work. In home its Home.. In school its SCHOOL. When im between those places going to home from school it is...hmm... Is it still school but only the direction is supposed to change?
I think that earlier it reported place or address or do I remember wrong?

It used to show the address/place. Right now, it shows the last transition region/direction (so will never be blank). Gives you a snap shot of when that person arrived or left and at what time. Handy for things like "Bob left school 6 hours ago."

1 Like

Ok, that explain why my webcore rules did not work like they used to. :smiley:

1 Like

I have set this up. The initial connection seems to work as my name shows up as a member in the Habitat app.

But it is red with last location report 'none'.

In the log there is an entry which says 'OwnTracks: Received update' from user: 'Gavin'

And another entry which says User: 'Gavin' not configured. Run setup to add new member.

In the phone app log, the last message is green.

What am I doing wrong?

just a random feature request.. one thing that always bugged me with Life360 was you couldn't view it on a PC -- you had to use a phone with Life360 installed.

What do you think about adding a Hubitat webpage with the user displayed on a map? I did this with the Life360 app. It wasn't pretty but was fairly easy to add at least. Anyway, if you're interested in doing something similar the code is here

2 Likes

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your request, but for each member, you can display MemberLocation on a dashboard and it shows that member's current location on a Google map.

What you revealed is the warning isn't helpful! You need to open the Hubitat App, and select your name from this selection box, and then click "done" at the bottom of the page:

The app registered that you tried to connect, but you need to allow that user to have a device created.

Let me take a look. I haven't added (or broken anything) for a bit, so I am overdue. :sweat_smile:

But there is a member dashboard with that user's pin in a map. Or are you looking for something different?

Sorry for the delay... iPhone.[quote="lpakula, post:1360, topic:130821, full:true"]

Is that an iPhone or Android?
[/quote]

Can you check that phone's regions to see if there is only one "+follow" type region. Most likely "+60follow". If there are more than one, can you delete all the non "+60follow" regions?

It's not a big deal - I was just thinking of a way to view all family members from my laptop remotely. I don't know if there's a way to access the device page remotely. You're right though - I can just bookmark the Hubitat device page and click on view larger map link

I remember finding out a little while ago that any Hubitat app can create a webpage so I just added one that listed all of the Life360 members in a large google map.

It might not be worth the effort - just remembered it while on my laptop and didn't want to open the Life360 app... (I'm not sure how I'm going to get my family to switch away from Life360 exactly but hoping to someday!)

1 Like

Pushed a new version to:

• @gavin give more informative directions in the log when a new member tries to connect
  • Changed the member tile and regions in the app zoom levels to start at the house level for better detail.
2 Likes

Ahhhh I see what you mean. Let me play with that.

As as side note (something cool coming soon...:slight_smile: ) One can embed the recorder live map of all users, or the past history in a dashboard tile as well for easy access.

5 Likes

Now this is super exciting! Definitely looking forward to playing with (and hopefully not breaking) this!

2 Likes

Thanks for replying. I have done this but same result. I have selected Gavin in Family members to monitor and clicked done at the bottom of the page.

Still getting the error message in the log saying Gavin not configured.

Gavin still showing in red with pending, pending, pending. There is a location fix but no location report.

Most of the false location jumps are now eliminated but not all.
I think there might be minor adjustments that could help.
My sons problematic phone jumped 1km away from home without no reason. Old story but this is what it sometimes likes to do.

Presence changed "not present".
Transition Direction changed "leave"
Street address changed to something else
SSID: Stayed connected as it should because phone never leaved

Then after few minutes:
Presence changed back to "present"
Transition Direction stayed "leave"
Street address changed to home address

So did I remember right that presence should not change if:
SSID stays connected

And should Transition Direction change if presence changes back to "present" from "not present". When phone located itself back to home, transition direction did not change and it is still as "leave". Transition region is home.
I think there should't be case where presence is present, region is home and transition direction is leave.

@lpakula

Check ur PM

1 Like

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering about the reliability of the owntracks app on android. Do you need to keep that persistent notification or is it not necessary? I would rather not.
Thank you!

@lpakula, I have been incapacitated since my request for notifications. Apologies for the delay in testing and responding.

Thank you for adding the notification feature and implementing the suggestion that another user made for "per user" notifications. I still need to fine tune it with notifications of certain people leaving/arriving at certain defined locations, but that seems too complex to code into such an app so will create some of those specific notifications through Rules. WAF suffered last week when the whole family left together, and the home is in two Regions, and she said "When we leave home, I'm getting over a dozen notifications at one time. How do I turn them off?!?"

One request: please allow us to customize the text of the notification. If nothing is entered, or the customization slider is off, then your default would be used. A number of us use Pushover instead of the Hubitat notifications, and so I would like my notification to be, for example
"[H]^%user%^%user% %event% %location%." (and then code for a link to the tile)". i.e. "[H]^John^John left School " Pushover allows us to set the title of the message, the priority, and even include links. If we could format the date/time that would be great, but not a biggie.

I REALLY appreciate your work on this app.