[Release] Magic Home Wifi (Drivers) + MagicHome Manager (App)

Are you sure your IP and port are correct? The only time you’ll see this issue is when a device isn’t on the network, the settings are pointing to the wrong address/port, or the network is blocking the connection. Maybe something is stopping the connection?

All the drivers/devices use the same connection protocols, but I guess you could try a different one?

1 Like

Ahh. Got it to work. Followed your suggestion and looked at my router to ensure my RGB controllers are on the network. It appears that they were on a Guest network which is why they were not able to be discovered by the driver.

Thank you for the hint. I have it working now.

1 Like

Have been playing around with the driver and love how it works. Kudos to the developer!!!

Did run into a strange scenario (actually was brought up by @tim in the #339 post), but I couldn't find an answer to it. Hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction.

Scenario 1: When RGB lights are in the ON position, sending a preset "presetRedFade(96)" will start fading red in and out. :white_check_mark: Works as expected

Scenario 2: When RGB lights are in off position, sending exactly same preset "presetRedFade(96)" will turn on LED strip to the color/preset/setting that it was at before it was last turned off. However, does NOT switch to the preset that was sent to it. :x: Not as expected.

Any ideas are welcomed.

2 Likes

Aw shucks, thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll take a look at this. I am going to rewrite that section in 0.90 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

happy holidays @adamkempenich. Thanks for all your amazing work on these drivers this year. I've got two magic home LED working pretty well and remaining stable for the most part. Just need to do the occasional power toggle on one of them.

I learned a ton in this thread over the past year and just wanted to say thanks and wish you the very best in 2020. So does my wife, since she can now activate pulsating red lights in the man cave by telling Google "The basement is too loud."

3 Likes

I’m glad it’s working! I’ve been thinking a lot about where to go with this driver in 0.90 over my trip, and I’m excited to get back and continue development :slight_smile:

Hahaha we have a dinosaur lamp in our living room that has something similar—when we say “It’s dinosaur time” the light turns green and Jurassic park’s soundtrack starts playing :crazy_face:

Is it possible to use this without having the device connected to a cloud server? I want true local only control, as i really don't care for the free man in the middle access these devices are pirvy to when connected to the cloud and when i delete the device from the magichome app it resets and i can no longer connect to it.

Yes!! That’s exactly why I made this driver :slight_smile:

Add your bulb to your WiFi network with the MagicHome app, but don’t connect your lights to a linked account. I’d also recommend blocking Internet connection for them, and making them local-only.

In the MagicHome app, you can go into each device’s settings and disable Remote connection.

Or, add them to your network using the old app.

1 Like

I've been playing with the MagicLight 7 watt bulb and have discovered that it is only 7 watts when in White mode. In RGB mode it is only 1 watt. Hardly enough light to light up a room. Same is true for the 11 watt bulb that is 1.6 watts in rgb mode.
Are all the Magic Home lights like this or just the MagicLights?
Can someone provide all the bulbs/devices by all the manufacures that will work with this driver? I am assuming that this driver will work with any device that can be controlled by Magic Home.
TIA
Jim

Hi, Jim!

No—not all the lights are like that. I’ve noticed the newer ones skimp on LED power, and are considerably less-bright than my older ones.

Which lights do you have?

There are too many to list. But, any WiFi bulb or controller that works with the MagicHome app will work with this driver :slight_smile: I haven’t touched the WiFi <> Bluetooth bridge, and don’t really plan to.

I just bought a BERENNIS RGBCW to see if it has the same problem.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GGWNQT7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do your drivers work with Magic Home smart plugs like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Assistant-Shortcut-Schedule-Certified/dp/B0827L1KYG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=25FJ5GG8SXOFM&keywords=magic+home+outlet&qid=1579584589&sprefix=magic+home%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-3

BTW, I've noticed my MagicLight bulbs sometimes disappear from the Magic Home app but still work on Hubitat. Not sure what it means but its interesting.

@adamkempenich
I have this drive installed and they function as expected, but I see this all the time.

They are on network and I can control them, just dont understand why this keeps comming up, and I have 8 of them installed (RGBWW) so I get this alot in the log.

That’s debug information from a hotfix, (and a glitch in logDescriptionText, where you see null...).

Nothing wrong, just info saying that the driver isn’t stuck in an infinite loop :slight_smile:
I’ve fixed it in version 0.90 (in development, still), and will push out a quick patch today on GitHub to take care of it.

1 Like

I think those are the same bulbs, with a different brand :frowning: id expect the light output to be about the same.

What the heck? When did those come out?

I’ll order some to test and develop :slight_smile:

Yup. That app drove me nuts. It’s so inconsistent. I’ve really focused on keeping connections alive in my driver—there’s no acceptable situation for a light you've paid for to not work, in my mind :slight_smile: That’s why the driver constantly checks to see if a device is on the network.

That's the mark of a really good developer! Keep up the good work.
Any chance the driver for the plugs will be in 0.90?? Not trying to rush you or anything... :wink:
I'll let you know about the BERENNIS RGBCW when I get them. Can anyone suggest a (cheap) RGBCW bulb that does RGB properly?

Depending on when I get them, yes. It may even be the first one from 0.90 that I release :slight_smile:

WiFi? Zigbee? Z-Wave (if so, there goes the cheap part!).

Sorry, I meant Magic Home bulb that is almost as bright in RGB mode as it is in White mode.

The BR-30 “11w” bulbs are pretty comparable in brightness. I can go take an exact measurement as I happen to have one right next to me! I think that there is a also a 9W version—I haven’t tried the new versions of that one, but the old 9W bulbs were pretty bright.

Interesting. If you're talking about the MagicLight version:

The one I got measures 7 watts in White mode but only 1.6 watts in RGB mode. I wonder if it's a new version. :=(
Oops, I got confused between the two bulbs. This one measured 11 watts on CW and WW as advertised. But only 1.6 watts in color mode.

60 kLux at 100% WW/CW
30 kLux at 100% RGB White
10-20kLux R/G/B at 100%

(Measured no contact with bulb)

I’m not sure what that equates to in Watts, unfortunately. It was this bulb:

Zombber White and Color Ambiance WiFi Light Smart LED Bulb, 11w ( 80w Equivalent ) BR30 Floodlight, E26 Dimmable Bulb, No Hub Required, Compatible with Alexa, Google Home Assistant and IFTTT for Party https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BW54FH3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3y7jEbK0F4RMZ

Which I’d presume was the same one as you got.