[RELEASE] Life360+ (BROKEN)

FWIW, I don't use Life360+ for any automations, just a tile for the 2 of us on the HD+ dashboard.

To that point, mine has never not worked during all this, but I also haven't recently updated or rebooted the C8 (BETA 2.3.7.136) or allowed HPM to update the app/driver, or done any 2FA verification on the phone app. I have rebooted the phone (for other reasons.)

For me, I see the error in logging in the APP but child device locations are still being updated as normal.

Against my better judgement to leave sleeping dogs lie...

I simply looked at the app and it threw an error 403 on the app page and in the log.

Though, as you say, the child devices are still reporting.

Noticed the same this morning. Child devices are still reporting but I'm not able to login. The question I have to answer myself is, how reliable is the reporting in terms of how long will it work to use the information for any of my webCoRE pistons.

@zerosum74 I just tried your setup. Logged out my main Life360 account on the phone but it's still not possible to login with Life360+. No chance. Do I have to await an amount of time to get the API cleared?
And even if that will work, how did you add you new Life360 account to your circles without beeing logged in into the main account which is used by Life360+?

A lot of questions.......

Thanks

I didn't have to wait. Your main account doesn't have 2FA turned on, correct? Did you try a password reset?

I used my wife's phone to generate the circle invite code. I should have mentioned that.

1 Like

If you log out, you can't log back in.

Plus, no changed can be made.

Is this the end of the road?

I've added more details to this post.

More importantly though, I think some of you may have had your password reset by Life360. I don't believe resetting the password alone will fix it though. Logging back in with new password may in fact be turning on new enforcement of one device being logged in per sign-in.

Could be the end but I'm still hanging on since I did get mine working again following steps in above post.

No luck so far.

I logged out of my phone's Life account, reset the password and tried to login into Life360+, using the new password. No chance, I always get the error message.

Due to the password change the child devices stopped reporting :frowning:

To answer @djh_wolf question, to me it looks like this is the end of the road, at least at the moment.

That's true, but on the other hand, we don't know, what folks at Life360 changed in the meantime.

Hope dies last.

I'm pretending not to hear the violins playing. I already have my life(360)boat reserved.

2 Likes

The question is if Life360 really disabled to login from something different than their own app?

What's your backup solution if Life360 let us really down?

I had used Life360 connector along with the iPhone Wi-Fi presence sensor and the Hubitat presence sensor combined as a virtual presence sensor for a few years. When the Life360 Connector quit working I switched to the Life360+ for about a week. Now it no longer works.

Am real interested in other alternatives and looking for suggestions since the Life360 was the primary functional presence sensor.

I am am an novice so would appreciate as detailed directions as possible.

Thanks,

1 Like

More so that they have Cloudflare hosting backend and opted to use their bot detection...from how I understand it. If it was catching 100%, we'd be done already. When their system does detect activity, it prompts the e-mail I posted earlier.

I have not yet received the email, but cannot log in with my cell un-verified and logged out...

Take a look at

Alexa and Google home both utilizing virtual switches. Alexa more reliable of the two but I use both for redundancy.

The Hubitat app which works great for Android members of the family but is not very reliable for iOS.

HD+ app is a real winner for the Android (no iOS support) members of my family. Especially since they all have Samsung devices which @jpage4500 really has dialed in. Thanks Joe!

Smartthings arrival sensors w/battery hack in cars of iOS users. Should have bought more in hind sight.

iOS users with a homekit hub should look into using it's presence detection. I don't personally but have seen many posts in this community regarding it. Seems to be very solid.

Don't let the name fool you. It supports android as well. Static IPs a must.

Life360 was the rock though. It was (maybe still could be) the most reliable for both iOS and Android. Really like how @jpage4500 worked it into HD+ too.

I'm using combined presence app to work all the methods into one. I don't remember which one though and I modified it somewhere along the line.

As for Life360, even if I lose integration, my family will still use it for now. I'd love to let my feet do the talking since they've turned their backs to the smarthome niche but I'm not up to converting them all to OwnTracks at the moment.

This community has a wealth of info/ideas on presence detection for those who may not have done a deep dive yet. The general consensus has been for some time that there is no single bulletproof solution, thus using multiple layered methods has been a route many like myself use.

1 Like

@esanders1969 can you log back in on your phone? If not, it's because Life360 reset your password, If you can, are you using the most recent version of Life360+ (3.0.25)?

Losing Life360 eventually, unless they listen to their customers (I wrote them a note a few weeks back which seems to have been ignored) is unfortunate. We'll probably all need to move to other solutions.

But why can't the Hubitat mobile app be a reliable presence sensor? We don't need all the fancy LIfe360 features in the end. We need the existing Hubitat iOS & Android app to work reliably.

Why can't that happen? The limited functionality we need, a reliable presence sensor based on GPS & Wifi connectivity should be a tablestake of the platform. It shouldn't have to be augmented with third-party presence providers.

Sure Life360 (through 360+ and previous incarnations) offers some really cool features but in the end, I just need my hub to know I am arriving or leaving and whether others are so as to turn on/off HSM and run other automations

4 Likes