[RELEASE] Life360+ (BROKEN)

I tried the same thing (also Android user) but didn't have any luck. The Life360 app doesn't respect user certificates so I wasn't able to capture any decoded Life360 traffic. If you have a rooted phone you could probably install the cert as a system cert to get it to work. I tried a few other approaches (fiddler, http toolkit) but all had the same result - couldn't decode the traffic with any of them.

Ok that's good to know. My phone is rooted so I could try that.

1 Like

Some possible good news on this front.. I was able to login and capture what was sent/received and it doesn't look too complicated.

I'm writing down the details now and will look at how to update the Hubitat app but I'm by no means a groovy developer so I might need some help in that area.

It would need to change somewhat as the flow I'm looking at is something like this:

• enter your phone number (there's a email login too but I just started with a phone number login)
  • enter a OTP code that you receive via SMS

For this case you will need to make sure your Life360 user has the phone number verified. I'd also recommend creating a separate user and adding them to your family so there's not multiple devices (phone & Hubitat) accessing the same user account.

Anyway, I wanted to at least give a heads-up that I started looking into this and there's at least some promise it can get back and running again!

8 Likes

rats.. I thought that was going well but apparently not as I was blocked while testing this. I was careful but clearly not careful enough!

<p data-translate="blocked_why_detail">This website is using a security service to protect
							itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution.
							There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word
							or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data.</p>
					</div>

I'll post what I learned here in case anyone else has an idea how to proceed:

step 1: login with phone number

POST https://api-cloudfront.life360.com/v5/users/signin/otp/send
{
  "countryCode": "1",
  "nationalNumber": "2223334444"
}

Just calling this API isn't enough as there are several HTTP headers that are also set. I'll post the ones I think are helpful below with some of the data changed (XXX).

Authorization: Basic Y2F0aGFwYWNyQVBoZUtVc3RlOGV2ZXZldnVjSGFmZVRydVl1ZnJhYzpkOEM5ZVlVdkE2dUZ1YnJ1SmVnZXRyZVZ1dFJlQ1JVWQ==
ce-id: 545eed0c-ba3c-40b2-8310-XXX
ce-source: /ANDROID/14/Google-Pixel-7/XX-41b1-4cf0-be77-XXX
ce-specversion: 1.0
ce-time: 2024-02-08T14:54:34.860Z
ce-type: com.life360.device.signin-otp.v1
Host: api-cloudfront.life360.com
User-Agent: com.life360.android.safetymapd/KOKO/24.5.0 android/14
X-Device-ID: XX-41b1-4cf0-be77-XXX
  • The X-Device-ID header is some unique ID for your device. I was going to just create one using UUID.randomUUID().toString() in the app.
  • the ce-* headers are probably the 'security' part of this.. I'm not sure where these values are created but they do change over time

Anyway, I was able to request the OTP code once in Postman successfully. But, the second time I tried with the same values I was banned so clearly that's not good enough.

I captured the other API requests but figuring out this one is the key to the rest...

1 Like

Hi,
Is this still not working? I noticed today Life360+ update in HPM so I had a little hope it is fixed (?)
all my devices stopped reporting since Feb. 5.

It works for some, but not for others.

For example, my log is full of error messages (a mix of 408 and 502), but the presence is updated correctly.

It seems that if you were logged in before the change was made on their end, then you are ok. But if you logged out and back in again it will fail. In my case I installed a C8-Pro and in so doing forced a re-login and it failed.

Noticed that as well, but still going strong for me. I don't rely on it anymore, so I'm just keeping it to see how long it goes before fully dying, for the fun of it :crazy_face:

1 Like

yes I do see too the error logs in my logs too

Mine just broke as well.
What do you use instead? Everything else I have tried is just not as reliable.

Google presence is rock solid my wife and I

Unexpectedly, mine still works after migrating from C7 to C8P a few days ago. The app says that I have a login error, but the values are changing correctly. Also, "LIfe 360+" no longer appears in the "Produced by" column of the Events page for the presence device.

1 Like

I'm guessing the migrate just saved and restored the access token which still works. I hope someone comes up with a fix but seeing how difficult Life360 made it I'm not holding my breath.

There's several options -- all with pros and cons (and their own support thread I imagine too)

If you want a Life360 replacement (ie: family tracker), OwnTracks seems to be a popular one. I'm planning on switching my family to this at some point

1 Like

Life360 integration is still working, for those keeping track :joy:

OwnTracks has been pretty solid for myself as a replacement. My wife's iPhone has been pretty solid after the initial bugs were worked out with IOS. Reports pretty accurately, and reliably. My Pixel likes to stop reporting every now and then, but a restart of the app (or phone) fixes it. Happened to me today when I left the house to grab lunch, and 1 or 2 other times in the last couple months of running OwnTracks. I think its more an issue with the OwnTracks app, not the HE driver. Though, I have been hearing rumors of an upcoming app upgrade for Android (I believe IOS just got one), so hopefully that problem gets fixed. If it doesn't, I will build out some logic in Tasker to just reboot the OwnTracks app daily to prevent issues from happening. Not ideal, but certainly doable on the Android side.

@JDC
What migrate process did you use from C7 to C8 Pro?

I would like to do the same process to retain usage of Life360 as long as i can.

Thanks !

This is probably overkill, but here are my own logs from the migration ...

OLD: C-7
NEW: C-8 Pro
OTH: C-8 Pro

-- OLD webCoRE backup pistons
-- OLD ZWave firmware update (ZWave settings)
-- OLD disable cloud/LAN integration apps
-- OLD cloud backup (5:37:54 PM)
-- OLD disable Zigbee, ZWave radios
-- OLD shutdown hub, remove power
-- WiFi reserve IP address from OLD to NEW MAC
-- NEW hub install
-- NEW migration #1 :: register [https://findmyhub.hubitat.com] do NOT migrate from cloud backup
-- NEW migration #2 :: FW update [https://go.hubitat.com if not prompted above, which it should be]
-- NEW migration #3 :: setup ["continue"] for cloud backup [do NOT select migrate!]
-- NEW migration #4 :: cloud restore via Settings|Backup|Cloud [select all, except for "Delete files"]
-- NEW reboot
-- OTH reboot
-- NEW Settings :: update Hub name
-- NEW Settings :: confirm IP, Zigbee channel
-- NEW test Zigbee, Z-Wave
-- NEW re-enable cloud/LAN integration apps
-- NEW reauthorize apps "Done"
"Done": AmazonEcho, EchoSpeaks, IFTTT, Kasa, Lutron, Presence (Geo/L360/etc), webCoRE, etc.
"all the way": Withings (internal MakerAPI)
-- NEW test Amazon, Lutron, LAN/cloud
-- NEW hub mesh: Settings>Hub Mesh>Sync Now
-- OTH hub mesh: Settings>Hub Mesh>Update
-- NEW AppCode: update OAUTH on each
-- WebCoRE: logout, login, migrate backups
-- MakerAPI clients: reconfigure cloud endpoints
Hub1: IFTTT, Withings (click through all)
Hub2: Geofency, Life360P, Locative, OwnTracks, SwitchBot
-- NEW test cloud
-- NEW migration #5 :: transfer subscription [my.hubitat.com > Registered Hubs]
** deletes old backups from cloud **
-- NEW migration #6 :: reload backups [Settings > Backup > Reload now]

2 Likes

This prompted me to look at mine. It stopped when I updated to the C8 Pro. Inexplicably it started working on Feb 17 and is now working.

Another anomaly I don't understand. I am using the combined presence app. I had included the native Life 360 app in there and it was latched on to present as of the disconnect. Yet my combined presence sensor has been switching on and off through the other sensors I have included. Not sure how that is happening.

1 Like

How are you using Google Presence? Through the google home integration in the Hubitat hub.

I think a lot of people have jumped ship to this great revamp of Owntracks.
Someone might have already mentioned it here.

I went with this:

Very happy with it. Admittedly we are all apple so lacking android support is not an issue.

I still keep Life360 because Sharptools has some nice integrations that still appear to be working. But to be fair I haven’t checked to see if that will persist.

There is also a HACS project in Home Assistant that works with Apple “Find My” but it requires keeping something running on your Mac. I think it can also track AirTags as well as all of your other devices - again in the apple ecosystem.