[Release] Kasa Camera Integration

This is a NEW Local Area Network implementation of the Kasa Camera integration. It supports the following types of Kasa Cameras:

• Kasa Fixed Camera
  • Kasa PTZ Camera
  • Kasa Doorbell

This supports most of the commands and settings available in the Kasa/Tapo phone application.

Upgrade from Version 1.0 is not feasible. Recommendation is do not update if you are happy with Version 1.0.

Functions: Camera Control, Motion Detection, Automatic LAN error handling (attempt).
Video into Hubitat: Not currently supported.
Limitation: Motion detect by polling LAN device. Average latency of ~3 seconds.
Requires: Your Kasa (TP-Link) Credentials. DOES NOT USE CLOUD.
Current Version: 2.0.0

GitHub Link: https://github.com/DaveGut/kasaCam_Hubitat/blob/main/README.md

HPM search: Kasa Camera.

3 Likes

Hi @djgutheinz - I'm looking to pickup another indoor camera and considering Kasa since I like their app (it's better than most at least) and like the fact that I can integrate their switches and outlets into Hubitat.

I noticed you tested with model KC115 but that one doesn't seem to be available on Amazon while some similar ones (EC70 and KC410S are). Any ideas if these are also compatible?

Also, are you able to get a still image off of these devices? That'd be my ideal camera - one where I can fetch a still image off of it every few seconds so I can add it to a dashboard.. anyway, I don't see that on this driver but figured I'd ask in case it was something that was even possible

Jeff, it is designed to work with any Kasa Camera (fixed or PTZ - doorbell nextl). I used the apk files to get a list of camera commands (in a single file) and use those.

Currently, the driver can not capture still images nor streams. There are URL's posted on the internet to capture those to a qualified viewer (what ever that means).

I am reworking the integration to be local for control of privacy mode and camera settings. Not unhappy with the results, it is working well right now, but some concerns remain. I am also trying to figure how to add the image capture capability to Hubitat (or at least provide the stream as a state or attribute for the user. Mid January is best guess on finishing.

I found this on HPM but noticed the description mentions a Samsung TV Remote.. I assume this is it but just wanted to mention that in case it confuses some :slight_smile:

EDIT: I should have first mentioned I got a Kasa EC70 and was just wanting to try this driver out.

It looks like the camera was detected - I haven't done any real motion testing yet. I do see this in the log FWIW

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'value' on null object on line 224 (method setCamPrefs)

Jeff,

You have the right driver. However, I am redoing the driver right now (mid-January) to be a LOCAL integration supporting the PTZ Camera, base Camera, and Doorbell. It is currently working great during test - but both interfaces hung (disappeared from the LAN). I think it was my LAN (40 devices on single LAN device). So I am adding an AI Mesh node to see if that helps.

It is next on my list - after updating the TAPO devices (done and in test).

Dave

I've had this driver setup for a week or so now but I'm not seeing any events. Could it be related to the NullPointerException above? I do see that show up in the logs about every 30 minutes.

I do get motion alerts from the Kasa app so I know the camera is working.

NOTE: no biggie if you're working on a new version of this - just wanted to figure out how I can use it in the future

That particular error should not be a problem.

The driver will not detect events without setting refresh rate to around 10 seconds. The events, once triggered, last a little over one minute.

perfect - thanks! Are you talking about the motion poll interval setting? I didn't change many defaults

Yes, Motion Poll Interval (currently off - so no motion detect).

just confirming that works - thanks!

1 Like

Any chance that this will work with a Tapo C225 Camera? Thanks

No, I am working on the Tapo Cams right now. Very complex security - so give me some time.

1 Like

No hurry I was just curious and thanks for working on adding them to the mix.