[Release] Join Api Notification Driver

@stephack How can I then use the Join Devices within my app code to send text messages ONLY NO PUSH (from parent device) to phone numbers saved on the Join devices preferences

Hmmm..good question. I know when I tested using the Join Api page, the title needed to be left blank to prevent the push. I dont think my app will allow this so I will have to experiment and might need change some code for this option.

Quick test succeeded. You would just need to remove the Title from the driver.

If you plan to have some message sent via push only, some via SMS only, some with both and dont want to create multiple instances of the driver....then you should use the online templates as follows:

Create a Join driver with Title and SMS left unset and use one of the inline message templates below.

For standard push use this template

messageHere[T]titleHere

For sms only

messageHere[S]9876543210

For both

messageHere[T]titleHere[S]9876543210

Im using it within my app like so

input "joinApiDevice", title: "Select JoinApiDevice", multiple: true, required: false

what would my line of code looks like to use the joinDevice?

joinApiDevice."messageHere"[S]1234567890

Your input would have to be set in one of 2 ways.

Would need to be the following if you would like to choose from a list of ALL notification devices:
input "joinApiDevice", capability.notification, title: "Select JoinApiDevice", multiple: true, required: false

OR

This, if you want to only list Join API devices:
input "joinApiDevice", device.JoinApiDevice, title: "Select JoinApiDevice", multiple: true, required: false

Once you have the input with Join Api devices selected, the command to send the message would be:
joinApiDevice.deviceNotification(message)

Where
message = "yourText[S]1234567890"

Is there any particular reason you are writing your own app vs using Rule Machine or Notifier App to send the message?

Yes its messages based on an api call to get data, do actions on hubiat (or set actions for future running) and notify me via sms/push

@stephack is there any chance you would consider integrating this with Hubitat Package Manager? The hype is real that app is great!!

It's just as simple to add this driver to your hub using the built-in IMPORT feature within the "New Driver" edit window. Just click IMPORT and use this URL. I don't believe there has been a change to this driver in over a year. HPM might be overkill for this one...especially since the author really isn't using Hubitat these days. :wink:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/stephack/Hubitat/master/drivers/Join%20API%20Driver/Join%20API%20Driver.groovy

2 Likes

Well it just seemed to make sense to get it in there with everything else. I love this driver and figured it would make it more convenient as well as expose new users to it as it would show up in searches.

Feel free to ignore my request :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the request @cwwilson08 but as @ogiewon mentioned, I don't think they would be any value added especially for such a simple driver. I also don't want to add any complexity to my existing apps/drivers since it would be difficult for me to troubleshoot. I planned to add ABC and a couple of others but because of my "migration" it would only make my ability to continue support that much more difficult. Simpler is better for me at the moment...but who knows...maybe one day.

1 Like

fair enough

What are you using these days?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.