[RELEASE] Inovelli Device Drivers

The settings have a description on the device page. It seems like you might want to turn down the dimming speed settings to make them faster. Param 1-4 maybe change to 1? You would have to play around with them to see what you like.

You can also adjust the "Button Delay" to 300 or 400ms if you are using scenes or to 0ms if you are not.

2 Likes

Great, thanks

So I realize I'm still unclear on these settings. If smartbulb mode is enabled - meaning load is always on - what does disabling remote control do? Or to put it another way, in SBM, what does remote control do when it is NOT disabled? Does it change the internal state even if the relay is kept at full?

Don't disable remote control. That will make it so you can't control it via Hubitat. Just adjust the "Button Press Delay" and Dimming / Ramp speed settings (1-4) to your liking. The "Button Press Delay" is kind of hard to explain. It is how fast the switch responds after your finger presses down the button. It is a waiting time where the switch tries to detect if the user is going to do a double, triple press etc. The smaller that setting the more responsive the switch is.

Hi all, I have these (I assume gen 1, but not sure honestly how to check): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1BMMGH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm migrating from SmartThings. When I added my Inovelli switches, they were auto tagged to the driver type: "Inovelli Z-Wave Red Scene Dimmer" - which sounds correct to me. However, I started searching for custom drivers and found this thread. Are these identical to the ones that were by default tagged from Hubitat? Or should I add updated ones from the github and select them for some reason?

Additionally how can I tell what generation I have?

I guess the only way to tell for sure would be to take out the switch and look at the back, but the driver you mentioned is for the Red Series Dimmer (LZW31-SN). If Hubitat matched the device with this driver on pairing, that is likely it. If you have a long LED bar on the right side of the switch and the commands to use it for "notifications" (effects) works, that is certainly it.

Inovelli sometimes refers to these as "gen 2," with their original procuts like the NZW31 and NZW31-S being referred to as "gen 1." There are not (currently?) multiple generations of the Red Series, a term that was first used when these products were introduced.

As for the driver, whichever meets your needs! Inovelli's custom driver (and others) offer more features, like a way to generate events for all taps up to the 5 the device supports, whereas Hubitat's will max out at double taps. You can switch drivers to test things out if you want, though you'll probably want to decide before you automate too much, as they generate button events differently.

1 Like

Hi Eric - I have a couple black series dimmers that I want to use to control smart bulbs. All I really need is on and off. They are Gen2 and I have the latest firmware installed (1.57). According to what I read on the inovelli site, with this firmware I should be able to get scene functionality at least for 1x and 2x taps, and hold /release, but I'm not seeing that in the Hubitat UI. I have the latest community driver installed. It does show that the device has 8 buttons, but when the paddle is tapped it does not show a button pressed - all it does is turn on and off or change the level when held.
Is there a parameter I need to set besides the dropdown for smartbulb mode?

Hi there, firmware 1.52 has this feature but it was removed as storage was necessary for some other changes. You can flash back to firmware 1.52 though if you would like.

Black Series Scene Control with New Firmware - howto? - Switches / Firmware Discussion - Inovelli Community

Hi - I flashed back to firmware 1.52 and the parameters Pushed, Held, and Last Event appear now - but they don't actually change after paddle presses. I set parameter 52 to Smartbulb mode (in preferences) but the switch is still turning off the relay when I press the bottom paddle.
I made sure to press Configure after any changes.

Hi @hokfujow, can you please try a factory reset on the device. I believe some of the configuration parameters may be saved incorrectly in the firmware after downgrading.

Also, do you see anything in the logs when you press the buttons?

Will try the reset. I'm seeing conflicting information on the right way to do that. Click Config 8x? Hold Config > 20 sec? And should I exclude from hubitat first?

That generation of devices you hold down the config button for 20 + seconds until the LED turns red.

Hello Eric -
I noticed that my Inovelli Red Dimmer Switch is reporting non-zero power when all devices are off. This particular switch is in smart bulb mode and controls a circuit with Hue bulbs and a shelly dimmer controlling track lights.
I've bound the Inovelli to the track lights via hubitat apps and leave the hue bulbs to be controlled via hue integration.

When I turn on or dim either the hue bulbs or the track lights, I do see expected changes in power reported by the switch. But when everything is off (checked by multiple methods) the switch still reports between 8 and 13 W of power use. I can't think of anything that would continue drawing that much power with bulbs off.

I'm on firmware 1.61.

Any thoughts?

Michael

How many smart bulbs are on the circuit? Smart devices still draw power even when the lights are "off".

3 track lights and 4 hue BR30 bulbs. I would not expect those to be drawing that much power when all off.

10w @ 120v is about 83mA which isn’t much for powering 7 smart devices

1 Like

If you want to calibrate the power you can try to use this driver:

https://pastebin.com/raw/qLfZHyyt

You can put in some incandescent bulbs and turn the load to 100% Then put in the combined wattage of the bulbs and the voltage and then hit calibratePower.

You can use other bulbs and turn them up to 100% and add their wattage up as well, but higher wattage will likely result in a more accurate calibration.

1 Like

Hi there - so I'm having a problem with a LZW31 Black series, Gen 1, running firmware 1.52. I have smartbulb mode enabled, but it seems to still turn off power to the bulb when turned off locally from the switch paddle. In hubitat, I have a button controller set up to turn off the bulbs via a Group (the bulbs are LIFX). However, when the switch is turned off the bulbs become unavailable to the app, suggesting it's actually turned off power.

Any thoughts on this?

Michael

Looking at the release notes for firmware 1.52 there seems to be a way to turn off the load by sending a basic set but that would be via z-wave. Can you try to update the firmware? There were changes made to smart bulb mode after 1.52.

Firmware Change-log: LZW31 - Dimmer Switch (Black Series) (inovelli.com)

Eric, I didn't look so sorry if this has been answered.

Is there a new driver for the Red 2in1 coming? Or is it not needed?