[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Si. But it is a manual process. I did this very thing. You create a folder, then manage the contents and only choose the items you want to display.

For me, I created a folder called Rooms and then inside of that folder each room. I have the device count enabled so I can click on the Rooms folder and quickly see what rooms have lights on. Works great too.

The only potential problem, which isn't really a problem, is when you remove an item from the room, deselect it from the managed devices list. It will be displayed back on the home screen. You can then hide the device on the home screen to have it disappear.

Or have a folder called "Unused"

Getting quite frustrated. I do not understand why moving a tile from the main screen into a folder changes the tile from

TO

EDIT : Interesting...if I put the tile on the same line as a blank tile and change the size of the blank tile to anything greater than 1X1, the cropping occurs.

Thanks you! i will try it.

For the Fully Kiosk users, is the only way to get the dim/turn off the screen via the screen schedule within FK? I installed FK and changed my screen on/off times within the Dashboard App, but the screen never turned off. Being a FireOS user, I think I need to move my Screen On/Off times from the Dashboard App into FK, right? If so, having 3 tablets, I'm looking at about $25 after the Plus license is converted into USD. I'd rather send that $25 to @jpage4500 for incorporating this feature into his app.

EDIT: First off, I know this is off topic from Hubitat Dashboard and I apologize. Second, I cannot find anywhere that states how long the PLUS trial is. Is it just a nag screen? I still would rather put my money towards this app though.

version 1.0.1417 (beta)

• add new screensaver option with timeout (alternative to turning the tablet on and off for devices that don't support that)

I'm hoping someone with a Fire Tablet (and its original OS) can help me test this. I added a new screensaver option to the "Stay Awake" options (nav -> more options -> Stay Awake)

You'll have to enter how many seconds you want the device to be idle before the screensaver kicks in. Then, after that period of time the screen should go black or at least as dim as it possibly can without the screen going off.

It looks completely black to me but the real test would be seeing how it looks at night. I'm thinking this is what Fully Kiosk is doing but I could be wrong.. just want to know if this works.

I'm not trying to replicate any other Fully features.. just a simple screensaver. There's also 1 known/minor bug which navigating the dialogs (ie: options/edit/settings) doesn't restart the timer.. only really noticeable if you set the time to really low like I did in the screenshot.

Anyway, right now this is a separate option.. so you can't have the tablet ON 100% during certain hours and then have it turn 'off' via this screensaver. But, assuming this works I'll also make it an option too.. just wanted to make sure it works before implementing the rest of it.

Lastly, I'll try to figure out how to make a certain device/presence wake the screen as well..

1 Like

Waiting for Google to show it as an update in the Play store

EDIT:
Hopefully my Fire Tablet isn't a one off now as I have Fully Kiosk installed on there too.
Updated to build 1417.
Set my Tablet device to timeout after 30 seconds
Set Hubitat Dashboard to timeout (screen saver) after 60 seconds
The screen blanked out after 1 minute showing the Hubitat Dashboard Icon with a message that included Screen Saver in it. I wasn't watching and just happened to catch that.
Waited 90 seconds and tapped the screen. The dashboard came back.
While writing this update the screen blanked again.
Waited a minimum of 2 minutes, maybe longer. Tapped the screen once, the dashboard came back.
Took the tablet into the darkest closet I have. You could see the very dim glow of the screen. A very dull grey shade. But in the natural light, it definitely looks blacked out.

I think this is doing what you want? However like I said, I have FK installed now and it is setup to due my on/off of the screen. But I did fully back out and swiped the app away from the recently used. I did not force close it though, and I haven't bought a license as I literally just installed this a few hours ago. I was only seeing the Ad lock screen the next morning after my Time frame had expired.

If you want to build a Alpha APK for me to side load and test using this "screensaver" but based on times vs a timeout (6 AM to 11 PM vs 60 sec), I'm happy to. I can easily uninstall FK too as it looks like this screensaver method will work for me.?.? Or a new Beta build, either works. Assuming the app is behaving how you are expecting it too.

One last test, I let the HD app screensaver kick in and I didn't touch the tablet for another 7 minutes. It took two single taps, but the dashboard came back.

EDIT EDIT: I left the tablet alone for 22 minutes, after the screen saver kicked in. Tapped the screen once and the dashboard came alive.

Button widget issue still appears to remain after this latest update as well unfortunately.

Sorry about that.. I'll try to reproduce and fix it. If you're on the beta version, the production one shouldn't have this issue. Otherwise, I'll try to get a fix out ASAP

That's what I suspected too.. the screen isn't completely off with this new screensaver feature. I assume that's how Fully Kiosk works too but please let me know if not (I could just try it in a dark room too lol).

I'll try adding the option of using this black screen instead of allowing the screen to turn off completely with the other setting too (eg: between 7 AM and 10 PM)

1 Like

Can you help me reproduce this? You're trying to set a tile icon to fill the entire tile, right? What device type is the tile you're testing?

For the below screenshot I set the tile icon for one of my devices and changed the cropping to "fill tile / no crop". That should use the entire tile size - but because of the 'no crop' option that means the image dimensions should be roughly the same as the tile (meaning - square image for a square tile).

That's why this image "cards.png" (from an above post) looks different depending on the tile size.

I don't doubt there's a bug somewhere.. I remember when testing setting button images seeing some weird behavior where the cropping would change when I scrolled in and out of view..

@jpage4500, I appreciate your attention to this. I know this is not a top priority. I have tried many tile types. All of them seem to work the same, cropped images/icons. I would prefer to use the "Image Tile". I have also tried several dimensions/resolutions of images. Most of the time, the image fills the tile as I desire in the "edit" popup menu. But when I close that menu, the bottom of the image in the tile is cropped. Rarely it is not cropped. But when I move that image anywhere, especially on a line with an "Empty Tile", it immediately gets cropped again. Most of my tile images work perfectly on my HD8. I am now working on an HD10 and that may be an issue. I am using a tile size of 1X1. Even images that work perfectly on the HD8 get cropped at the bottom on the HD10. I'm willing to test anything that you would like.

On an older HD10...

On my new HD10

Icon file for testing...

Pop_Rock_Music_Icon

These two tiles are different sizes. I created them exactly the same way. But I moved the lower tile to a folder, which immediately changed it's size and cropped it as you see it. I moved it back to the original location and it remained changed.

I see.. yes, I think it was the image tile that I was having cropping issues with recently as well. I think the app is caching the image and it's not always obeying the 'crop' options when they're changed. I'll investigate!

I'm curious though.. is this tile supposed to do something when clicked or just for displaying the image? I was thinking this was some virtual device or button that did an action when clicked (ie: played some music station)

I actually didn't realize you could change the 'icon' for an image tile.. that wasn't intended. I think I added the ability to set the tile icon for a video tile and image tiles must have been added by accident.

Anyway, somewhat related but I figured I'd share the cropping options for image tiles here like I did for other device type icons since they're different. I attached some examples below.. note that the examples are showing a 2x1 (wide) tile and would look different on a 1x1 tile but this shows the cropping a little better since the picture is tall and the tile is wide (aspect)

left: [no crop]
right: [crop - center]

left: [crop - top]
right: [crop - bottom]

Yes, I have been using the cropping options to see if I can get the entire tile covered. I sometimes get the changes as expected. But again, if I move the tile, it resorts to the larger tile with the cropped bottom.

Yes, previously, I have been using custom icon images for devices (virtual switches/buttons/etc). But more recently, and with this use case, I am using just an image tile as I just want a permanent image displayed.

Odd....I just created a test device (virtual switch) (the bottom right tile in the first image) and changed the icon image. The tile became the bigger size and cropped at the bottom as before. When I moved that tile up and next to the other similar tile, the tile became smaller and the image filled the tile. I moved it back to the lower right, and it expanded again.

Discovered two possible bugs, at least with the Fire Tablets.

1 - When I am renaming an item and tap within the name field, the keyboard does not pop up. If I switch to another app, or go to the home screen, and then back to Hubitat Dashboard via the recent menu, and then click on the name, the keyboard will pop up.

2 - Backups to the hub are saying "backup successful" on the tablet itself, but the date of the file within the HE File Manager is not changing. If I disable the Hub Login Security and do another backup, then the date on the file changes.

I have noticed this as well. I just close the app and reopen it and it works.

1 Like

thanks! I'll make a note to test out both of these

Finally got around to trying this on my Windows 11 desktop and laptop; I downloaded the Amazon Appstore from the Windows Store and it handled installation of the Windows Subsystem for Android automatically (you need to have enabled virtualization in BIOS if it isn't already).

I had been put off by reports saying it was a huge resource hog; it does use about 1.2GB of RAM and initally takes about 12 seconds to initialize the WSA on my 2017-vintage 16GB laptop. But after that, subsequent invocations of Hubitat Dashboard are instantaeous and it works great. I normally use hibernate on the laptop so the 12 second initial startup of WSA isn't a big deal.

Since Hubitat Dashboard isn't available from the Windows incarnation of the Amazon Appstore, you need to sideload the apk after downloading it to your Windows PC from one of the links at the top of this forum (you don't even need to sign in to the Amazon Appstore after installing it).

To do the sideload you need to enable Developer Mode in the settings for Windows Subsystem for Android and install another free Windows Store app (WSATools). When you run WSATools it will automatically install ADB which is also required. Then you just point WSATools to the location of the apk file and you're done.

1 Like