[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

yeah silly me I wasn't thinking, I got them to show up now thanks :slight_smile:

Hi All,

Checking if I can get help here. I'm using HubConnect 2.0.9800
Again, all my devices reflect correctly in my hubitat server hub when they are switched on or off in my remote smartthings hub, but if I try to turn a switch on from Hubitat, its not turning it on in SmartThings (remote hub).

Thanks!
Ton

A few questions and one comment.

I see that there are two different server/coordinator options. The one that appears in the documentation is the Hubconnect server option that appears to run from the Hubitat Hub. The other is a NodeJS server.

Is there a reason to run one over the other and if so were are the directions to install the NodeJS server instance?

Is the NodeJS server going to support the new Smartthings API as that is what i am linking to?

I also wanted to ask about is there a way to contribute to the code. With SHM being fully deprecated and disabled i update the code in my instance on Smartthings to allow me to coordinate HSM with the Smartthings ADT Alarm Panel status. I now have it updating both ways and would like to help get it in for others that may need it as things progress.

Edit I think I found the answer for the Nodejs server on hubconnect.io Here and here

It appears that the simple answer is it doesn't do anything for Smartthings users and it is just a proxy server to speed up connectivity to multiple hubs and does some deduplication between hubs.

Mostly correct. It functions as a Filter to reduce unneeded traffic to each Hubitat Hub.

That results in more time for each hub to do it's work, vs spending time discarding events of no interest.

If you have 3 hubs using EventSocket... A, B and C.
A mirrors a few devices to C
and B mirrors a few devices to C.

A's device turns on, C will see that and push an Event into C's event processor, which results in an event leaving C to both A and B. Well, A likes that, but B is wondering why it got an event for a device that doesn't exist.

Insert that NodeJS Server in the middle and B will never see A's traffic and vise versa. B's got more processing cycles to spend on keeping Z-Radio queues near zero. :smiley:

For just two Hubs, then the NodeJS server would only help when few devices were shared. Imagine A's got 50 devices but only 3 are mirrored to B. B's going to hear all about A's 50 devices, discarding all but the 3 mirrored. Same in reverse, A's going to hear all about B's devices and only keep the events for the 3 mirrored. I think this is a rare case because I think most devices on a hub are mirrored, and with not much to filter, the NodeJS server is busy not finding anything to filter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That kind of sums up what i was thinking. I would still like to know more about it. Largely could it be updated to support connections to Smartthings new API structure so that we could create a environment that will last once they turn off the legacy IDE. That clearly isn't the case though right now, and that would make the setup a bit more involved for Smartthings folks. I worked on doing some testing to get a app working with the new Smartthings api at one point and it was interesting to say the least for someone that isn't a company to do.

My use of Smartthings ended a couple years ago. I have one powered on, and then I have a 2nd account with no physical hub. BOTH of these are strictly for HubConnect testing/support.

I have no further use for SmartThings and their direction has been poorly articulated. For me specifically, when ST shuts the classic architecture, I will simply power off and smile a big smile.

HubConnect has a fully documented API and anyone wishing to add ANY a product can dive right in. It would be great if Steve (or I) had extensive experience with Vera, Home Assistant or (back in the day) Wink, and could have written a connector. But I only learned each of them well enough to say "No thanks, not for me."

For SmartThings, it's going to take a person with a desire to tackle the new API. I know that isn't me and I believe Steve has powered off his ST over the "camping" season, so it's unlikely to be him. IF anyone wants to take on the challenge, I'm ready to test. I'm still firmly enamored of multi hub solutions because no one product is perfect. Yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a Prestige IAC thermostat that I'm trying to HubConnect between my ST remote hub and the HE server hub. The thermo is configured in ST as a canned Honeywell TCC 8000/9000 Type. Current states (sparsely populated) appear in the ST IDE and the ST newApp successfully controls and monitors the thermo.

I set up HubConnect (2.0 RC2) today and after a bit of fiddling and farting I was able to get ST "online" with HE. What I can't do, though, is get the thermostat to appear as a thermostat in the ST HubConnect Remote Client app. "No device found" appears under Device Categories -> Climate Devices. The thermo DOES appear under Omnipurpose Sensor Devices, and I was able to get that mirrorred over to HE, but it only sends indoor temp and humidity. Any wisdom on why the thermo device doesn't appear in the list of devices on the ST app? (I didn't install the suite of HubConnect device drivers on the ST side, but I did install the HC Thermostat device code on the HE side.)

BTW, I'm successfully using csteele's Total Comfort API C on HE but I'd like to augment that with ST's better poll frequency.

I see there is a new version of the ST app. Does it cause any issues with Hubconnect?

No. Plus the app is an update, not a new version :slight_smile:

Trying my luck again if there is any hint or guidance on where to start to solve this issue ?

I apologize profusely for interupting this thread. There is so much to read on this topic but none of the threads or docs have lead to success. :frowning:
I have a new C7 and a large ST setup with WebCore. I decided to migrate slowly so HubConnect looked like the best option.

I have installed on the HE:
HubConnect Server v2
HubConnect Instance v2
HubConnect Remote Driver v2
I installed on ST:
Hubconnect Remote Client for Smartthings.
OAuth in enabled on both apps.

In the HubConnect app I connect manually to the ST IP, set the remote type to SmartTings and get the connection key. I go into the ST app, enter the key and the app just hangs.
On the HE side if I click "Verify" i get this:

Remote installation is not complete. Please click the [Install] button on the remote client.

What is this Dumb@33 not doing right? :slight_smile:

Since youโ€™re hanging on the ST side, open the IDE and go to Live Logging, then try the ST App again. Iโ€™m guessing there is an error registering there that is preventing completion. Also may want to check that you set the switch correctly on HE side where it asks if you have an ST Hub connected (instructions say to always say yes I believe, but I think it defaults to no).

Yippee. Made it with your great explainations. Thank you. Thank you.

Sadly Logging shows nothing but the active devices chatting away.
Head scratcher.
I'll scroll back and see how @denis solved his issues.

Getting better, saw a snippet that showed the local connection type slected shouldn't be Smartthings but HubAction(http).
She's online now so it's just a matter of figureing out the sharing of devices. I selected them all in ST but so far HE doesn't have them in the devices list. Maybe that's not how they are implemented; off to the docs for step 2 :slight_smile:

You have two threads regarding HubConnect and it looks like in one..

"ST app hanging..." is what you're asking about in this thread?

Not exactly true...

SmartThings IS the connection type and there are two mechanisms for communications... one of which is HubAction. Either works. HubAction requires a local ST Hub be powered on, while the default method does not.

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 3.07.51 PM

Once ST is selected, you may indicate there is a local ST hub...

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 3.08.10 PM

Then you have the choices:

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 3.09.29 PM

I followed those steps earlier but the ST app would hang after the key was entered if I chose ST oAuth. When I chose HubAction the app continued with that key and now says Online.

New to Hubitat and trying to integrate my Smartthings using HubConnect. When trying to download from the HubConnect Portal, I get a warning message .

"Your connection isn't private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from hubconnect.to (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Go backHide advanced

This server could not prove that it is hubconnect.to; its security certificate expired 10 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
bc

Question for csteele,

I have a SmartThings cloud account connected via HubConnect that works great. I also have a remote Hubitat Hub at another house that works great.

The problem is I want to use the SmartThings App as a presence sensor for that other house. Mostly cause the Hubitat App still doesn't do multiple locations.

The problem with SmartThings is my account is tied to the address of my main house. I have tried adding additional locations and then installing another instance of HubConnect to no avail.

Is the HubConnect connection tied to the account in ST or the location? Also, I got this all working a while back when the old app was still alive. I've seen folks post about the new app not working. However, I tried adding the second connection via the IDE with the same results... It just doesn't finish...

Trying to warp my head around all of this. My end goal is to have all of my devices on Hubitat and still use the Smartthings app to control the devices. I went through all of the steps to get everything installed on both the HE and ST. I have them linked, both show online in their apps. The next step is to expose devices to ST. I select what I want to use from the app on the HE but nothing shows up on ST. Is there a possibility that I have missed a step. The live log on ST pops up with the error

• error ... Uunable to create device Entry Light: physicalgraph.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'HubConnect Dimmer' in namespace 'shackrat' not found..

any clue what I did wrong or what I may be missing?

Just a guess, but that error makes it seem the HubConnect drivers arenโ€™t loaded at the SmartThings end.

2 Likes