[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

I fiddled with 1.6.4 for a day or so but was blocked during configuration on the SmartThings side by the new API I think. Simulation via the SmartThings IDE seemed like it might be a valid workaround to do the configuration but it seemed like a good idea to switch to 2.0.

Before trying 2.0 can someone please clarify something. Is HubConnect still a valid path to interconnecting smartthings and hubitat? Or does the new API kill this project until someone works on the new API, if ever?

It's a valid path still.

When the IDE is closed, there will be no way to install the code. When they close Groovy, there will be no way to run the code. I think those are on slightly different schedules.

4 Likes

Depending on what you are trying to do there may be some alternatives, though not as complete as Hub connect. Hub connect is very good for managing devices both ways.

Node-Red with Samsung Automation Studio Pallet and Hubitat pallet can allow you to pull and manage ST devices into HE with virtual devices on the HE side. You can also then have those virtual devices control ST devices.

This methods big weakpoint is for devices that first exist in Hubitat and not in ST. The only virtual device on the ST side that is fairly easy to set up are switches. ST doesn't provide any way to create virtual devices outside of switches as of right now without using the IDE. So when the IDE goes away that will be a gap.

If you need bidirectional control of devices on both and created on both sides then HubConnect is by far the best option until Samsung kills the current IDE. If you just use ST to be a cloud integrator then moving to Node-Red with the earlier mentioned pallets could be a very nice option. I use it now for integrating Arlo cameras into HE and has been working very good for months now.

What I was really hoping for is somewhere I could have a really nice all-in-one dashboard to control all of my devices that was both easy to set up and high a high SAF.

The new Smartthings app is great as a way to manually control devices and see device status at a glance. The only downside to Smartthings is their cloud-reliance for automations which makes them slow and unreliable.

Hubitat fixes automations by moving the local. However, I lose support for many wi-fi only devices, and the options for manual control are poor. Both the app and dashboards look like engineering demos and not something destined for consumers.

I've briefly looked into home assistant. While it looks pretty powerful, the learning curve looks STEEP and despite the absolute hype in the user-community. Lovelace isn't winning any beauty contest and seemingly requires a ton of programming knowhow to even get it halfway usable. I've also seen their Zwave/Zigbee support isn't great or reliable, which is why I went with Hubitat in the first place.

It looks like EVERY solution has a major hole in it and requires at least two hubs to get all of what I need, but right now the integration solutions have some major limitations. At one time the Smarttthings/Hubitat combo looks like it would have accomplished exactly what I want, but with their IDE going away, I don't really want to invest in something that could (and will) disappear some time soon.

1 Like

Beyond using Hubconnect for the time being I would suggest we take this particular question to the SAS thread here or create a new thread with the topics in your last post. I have some ideas for how to accomplish what you are asking with SAS, and a external dashboard like Actiontiles, but would rather not derail this thread with it.

I thought about that as I was typing this up, new thread here: Options for Manual Control and WiFi devices that Hubitat doesn't support

FYI, it looks like SmartThings changed something with their Honeywell/TCC driver and it no longer accepts setFollowSchedule or resumeProgram commands from Hubconnect. The end is nigh.

The device [DOWNSTAIRS] does not support the command setFollowSchedule.

I thought Samsung claimed although they were no longer making hardware they were supporting the SmartThings platform for the foreseeable horizon?

I guess the earth is a smaller diameter than they thought......:frowning:

They created a replacement Platform and are migrating to that... that is what they are supporting for the foreseeable horizon.... the non-groovy centric platform.

2 Likes

FTFY

1 Like

That is true but no one asked for it because we were all happy using Smartthings cloud service for free. We could write crappy code and just let it run.

The big driver for the change was to reduce the load on Smartthings cloud servers and put the consumption usage back on developers or integrators. Like with Hubconnect Samsung wants to spend as little resources possible feeding hubitat servers if all they do is dump events to endpoints and accept commands and don't have to do any back end processing that make the service cheaper to support. That is what it is about.

I remeber hearing something a while back that it was 5% of users that used like 90% of the resources consumed by the servers. It was all custom code and such.

That's their fault for not making the code run locally on the hubs, not the users' fault

1 Like

To some extent I agree. It is my understanding Smartthings was never really a local affair by design unlike Hubitat. I bet as they started to push that way they saw the writing on the wall for performance issues. And there is no shortage of issues were we have found bad actor apps that have caused hub issues. I see this as a darned if you darned if you dont scenerio for them.

We all understand here we have limited resources. It is hard to put a genie back in the bottle once it is out and once they have a ton of poorly performing apps out in the wild. If all of a sudden they pushed them to the hub and peoples stuff broke simply because the hubs were overwhelmed who would be blamed? They are simply taking a slow approach and forcing a gradual reset and making it so those bad actors can pay for the resources and infrastructure themselves if they want to keep there apps running. The problem is the power and hobbyists users are getting hurt in the process. I agree it sucks but there is reason for it. In the end i don't think they want those users really. They want users that have 10 devices and simple setups.

1 Like

Something changed a while ago in SmartThings which prevented reporting the current input source of the TV. I believe I ended up creating a piston in webcore within SmartThings which would update a global variable in Hubitat every time the TV input changed. I then used that global variable in my Hubitat automations rather than the state reported by hubconnect.

Unfortunately I replaced mine with an LG so I'm unable to go back and look further into it, but I do know the solution did work.

I have a 4 HE setup and a 3 HE setup each with 1 server. My question is 2 fold:

1: Can a server hub also be a remote hub to another server?
2: If 1 is possible how much additional load will be on the Main Main hub?

Any thoughts would be great and thanks in advance.

Edit: C-7 Servers and C-5 remotes

I have been using this for a while and I think this is great. I would like to know if there is still development still going into this? I find this response if very quick and yes, I don't have a small number ST just in case something comes but I don't really use it anymore.

Read above…. No….. but they’re willing to let someone take it over.

In the past few minutes, I shut ST:

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.52.23 PM

.. to this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.53.12 PM

Leaving behind my ST Hubless connection. Later today, I'll be discarding everything from the other account and shutting down ST forever (I hope.)

This of course, ends my ability to provide active ST Support for HubConnect. :slight_smile: Advice and crazy ideas are always available. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

All I have left on Hubconnect are my Arlo cameras. I use them for motion and being able to turn off individual cameras. It still works but I had not looked at this in a few months and when I checked the ST remote client in HE it says I have no devices connected. It says it's online but no devices.

So I opened the ST app, which again I had not touched in months. My cameras are no longer listed as devices in ST. I didn't play around with it because everything is still working. So I guess I will just go with it until it stops working and then I will see what I can come up with then.

Doesn't the new hub mesh function do exactly this?