[RELEASE] Hub Rebooter App

Well, running a Z-wave Repair is a potential solution to a mesh issue. All Vera hubs run a Z-wave Repair every night. While a Z-wave repair may be unnecessary, other than resource usage, there should be no downside to doing so. It should be no more or less necessary than a hub reset, which your app is supporting.

With perfect hardware and software neither the hub reset or the Z-Wave Repair would be desirable or necessary. In the real world, they can be quite useful, and thus my request.

1 Like

Perhaps, but regardless, no I don't intend to add that functionality to the rebooter app.

1 Like

Well, I appreciate your efforts in producing the Rebooter App, even if I don't understand your reluctance to produce a ZwaveRepair app.

Do you happen to know the syntax used to perform a Z-wave Repair in HE, so that I can substitute that in your code?

My reluctance is because the HE team has said not to do what you’re suggesting and that it can be more damaging to the mesh. So I don’t want to build a tool that encourages people to do something they advise we shouldn’t do. And no, I do not know the endpoints involved in a zwave repair as I haven’t really explored that part of the system. For me, in total, since I’ve had my hub for about 1.5 years I think I’ve only done 3 repairs so I’ve never really looked much into it.

1 Like

Again, thank you.

Well then, how about modifying/creating your app to do a periodic "backup"? I would really like to have an automatic weekly backup. Ideally, with the ability to specify the local location where it is stored. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately the HE APIs do not give the ability to upload files such as this. Most of us use a shell script running on an rpi or NAS. There would be no way to do this with an app on the hub though.

1 Like

@dman2306 Nice app. Is there a way to pause it cleanly? I can set it to time and not select a day but that seems to be an invalid option that you flag, so I’m not sure if I should leave it that way. Would prefer not to delete it.

Any app may be paused/disabled by going to the apps page in the HE menu, then:

• click on the hamburger preceded by the dots to get a list menu
  • click on the X
  • select the app(s) to be disabled

3 Likes

Thanks!

Has anyone noticed their dashboards and dashboard tiles no longer refresh when using the Hub Rebooter App?

I've been using the app for a few months and I have noticed that after the hub is rebooted via this app my dashboards no longer auto-refresh. IE: If you open a dashboard the values are loaded correctly on that initial page load but they never change/update. So if you have a dashboard open and a sensor or switch sends an updated status none of the tiles on the dashboard will update to reflect that status. Even things like the "Volume" slider won't update after changing the volume via the dashboard itself. IE: I can open a dashboard and use the actual dashboard tile slider to adjust my speaker volume. The volume number reported on the dashboard doesn't change even though the speaker volume does get adjusted.

If I reboot the hub manually everything starts working again. And then when the rebooter app reboots it next time it all stops working again.

It's really difficult to understand what's going on here since the rebooter app appears to be making the exact same HTTP calls that are made when I reboot the hub manually via the web browser. I've also tried toggling the "reboot/restart" option and have not seen any difference in behavior regardless of which option is selected here.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this or has any idea what the cause might be?

Yes it was an issue for me, and the following RM should fix it when using Fully Kiosk Browser. If not, you have the trigger.

Until you get something working click on the right side checkmark to refresh the page.

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I understand though: I'm not using a Kiosk Browser? Is that something I need to install to fix this?

Is there any chance you have this checked?

Wondering if there is a hubitat bug you have found...

Yeah, as I said I've tried it both ways. No difference in behavior either way.

While dashboards work with any browser, the solution I provided works only with the Fully Kiosk Broswer (on Android).

For other browsers, hopefully someone in the community knows how to issue a refresh.

Ok, that's kind of what I suspected that was doing.

In my case however a browser side refresh does not fix it: A browser side refresh does get updated tiles (Because the page is entirely reloaded from scratch) but then it goes back to not "auto" refreshing again. Refreshing by clicking the green check-mark doesn't help either. Again: It does refresh it that one time but the dashboard goes back to being "stale" where the tiles do not auto-update as values change.

The only fix I have found is to reboot the hub manually rather than via the Rebooter app. After doing a manual reboot a refresh of the dashboard page gets everything auto-updating again like normal.

I installed this app (via HPM), created a virtual button, Attached that button in this app configured to do a restart. When I hit the button on the dash I get this error log. Did I miss something in the set-up?

Edit: fixed, forgot to add button number. 2nd question still valid.

And after a power failure and back up, if the hub is having issues what would be the best action, Restart or Reboot? I want to be able to recover a hub remotely.
thanks..

I don’t think this is really a use case that this app will help with. If something became corrupt due to a sudden power failure you likely need a database restore. A reboot is unlikely to help.

2 Likes

Hi, could it be that restarting the process-only stops HubMesh from communicating across a wireless router mesh node?

Had my hubs restart the process this AM at 3am. All hubs communicate successfully via HubMesh except the one connected to the node-router with wireless backhaul. A full manual reboot fixed the issue.