[RELEASE] HomeSeer HS-FS100+ Water & Light Sensor

EDIT: This device is now supported by a native driver, this custom driver is no longer needed.

This is a port & cleanup of the HomeSeer ST Device Handler to Hubitat. Thank you to @krlaframboise for help in porting and identifying that the HomeSeer code is based on some handlers he originally wrote.

There are some minor cleanup issues that I'll get to eventually:

• Clarify config text, some settings only apply when running on wall power
  • Add a trace logging toggle so you don't have to edit the handler to enable/disable tracing
2 Likes

Do you have the Light Sensor? Just curious how well it works before I buy one..

I actually have the water sensor version. I got it for behind my fridge as I don't trust a single point of water detection in an area I will NEVER look. The sensor cable lets me run the entire length of the back of the fridge on the floor and into the wall box for the water shutoff.

The water sensor works well. Detection is fast and reliable from my testing.

I don't have one but the biggest complaint is that the sensor head is opaque so if your indicator light is small enough, you can't see it through the sensor head.

Thanks. Guess I’ll order one of each and try them.

Do the cable segments lay flat and route where you want them well? Can't tell from the pictures how rigid these are.

Could this cable be run along a pipe? The pricing for a long run seems unrealistic even though they spec a long distance. I wonder if I could make my own cable just to see. Looking at the cable, there seems to be suppliers on the various china sites for similar cable. I wonder what limits the length or if it's arbitrary because they do seem to sell it in different conductor diameters that I would think would reduce losses.

The cable lays flat okay, I've used some 3m hook wire clips to get it to stay put behind my fridge.

I'd assume you could DIY a cable. It looks like it is just two wires wrapped in cloth and when the cloth gets wet it connects the wires. The plug is a standard 4 conductor (TRRS) 3.5mm jack.

1 Like

Eric, I'm a newbie and I'm not clear on 'Supported Devices' and 'Community' ones. After thinking I had seen the HS-FS100 in the Supported Devices list, it turns out the newer HS-FS100+ Flex one isn't .. but this thread seems to be about it. I just bought one of these thinking I would just be able to pair it to the hub without any extra work. But I'm getting the feeling I might have to add the custom driver code from this thread. Is that the case or have you already put your FS100+ modified code into the standard HE device handler library? The reason I ask is that I was able to pair the device ok and it successfully senses a 100% battery and seemingly accurate temperature. It also sounded the chime when I poured water on the cable. But the fact that it sensed water and sounded the beep/chime, nothing has shown up in the event log for the device. And if I click on the button in the device page to beep the buzzer, it doesn't work .. yet the buzzer clearly works. It's like the events aren't getting to the hub. Tks .. Ian

I switched to the built-in driver and it works great.

This is the specific device I have: HomeSeer HS-FS100-W Z-Wave Perimeter Water Sensor – HomeSeer Store

Thanks for the feedback Eric. Yes, that's the one I have as well. Tks for confirming that you're using the built-in HE driver for that device, which is what I used as well .. even though it doesn't appear in the list of standard HE supported devices. When I look in my list of devices, I see this:

Is that what yours looks like or have I messed something up? My temperature hasn't changed since it was originally included.

That is what I see as well. The built in device handler creates a child device depending on the type of accessory you have installed.

Do you have it plugged in or on battery? When it is on battery the temp reporting interval is really long (like hours I think).

Tks Eric .. sorry for not responding sooner .. I’m away. Yes it’s running on battery but it hasn’t changed in days. When I get home I’ll try powering it and see if that changes anything

Is anyone using the Light Sensor from Home seer if so how is it working and are you using an RM for automatic such as dryer is done etc or something else? Thanks

@leeonestop I have 2 of them. One that the light sensor is over the rinse light and the other units light sensor is over the washer finished light. They have a built-in driver for it. It creates a parent and child device. It has adjustments for light sensitivity, light detection delay, and temperature. There are a couple other preferences that are self explanatory. I have never had it miss a beat.

@razorwing thanks for answering back about the Homeseer Light Sensor. Are you using Rule machine to monitor you washer and if so how is that doing any false reading etc? Thanks

@leeonestop Yes I am using RM. Here is the rule I use for the rinse. I haven't had any problems with it not working.

@leeonestop I'm also using the light sensor on both my Washer & Dryer, no misfires..the sensor is pretty enclosed right over the light source so it doesn't pick up outside light.. I'm using the Alexa Speaks app to trigger my responses and it works great.

Thanks I will pick up a couple of them, by the way how is the battery life of them just wondering if I should get the usb cable and power supply. Thanks

@leeonestop I use mine with an external USB supply of 5VDC, 1A which is overkill but that is what I had.

I just want to say thanks to all on this topic for the infomation on the Homeseer light sensor as I brought one and have to say that it is spot on working for me. Thanks to @razorwing for showing me how to create a rule that let me know when the dryer is complete. I appreciated all the help and info.