[RELEASE] Homebridge Hubitat v2.0

This post just reminded me - if I include any virtual switches, I get that Duplicate Device Validation: Switch: null message, even if I only add one.

Also, the virtual mode devices show up in the Home app, but they don't actually work to change the mode. Their state does change to reflect the current mode when it changes though.

I'm working on these issues right now

1 Like

@EdMcW @tsviper
I'm not able to get the duplicate device error from showing.
I do see why the filtering isn't working. ST has spaces in the capability names while HE has no spaces
("Motion Sensor" vs "MotionSensor")

2 Likes

Noticed one more small thing:
Hubitat Package Manager is showing an update available although the current version is installed.

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 8.36.26 AM

Is there a recommended process to change to the new plug-in? E.g.: remove old plug-in, install new plug-in, run them in parallel etc.? I don't use the Hubitat app (MakerAPI) and have no automations in Apple Home (primarily use it as a nicer UI/remote access). Thanks!

As someone who came to the home bridge party a bit late, I would really like to understand the differences between homebridge-hubitat-tonesto7 and homebridge-hubitat-makerapi. Why would you prefer one or the other?

7 Likes

I was wondering the same thing as well and @tonesto7 or @dan.t will be better at explaining but here is why I switched to this from the maker API version (which has worked great for me by the way, and I'm very thankful to Dan.t for all his work).

I like how it dynamically updates devices, no longer requires restarting homebridge to pickup changes. The Maker version does do this too after a timeout period, but this version only updates on changes I believe so less polling?

Almost all the settings can be changed using the app inside Hubitat vs. editing the config file in the homebridge plugin. i.e. excluding device capabilities/attributes is much easier.

I like to see the device totals being sent to Homebridge so I know how close I am to the 150 per bridge limit of homekit. I used to have to manually count all the devices in the MakerAPI app when I knew I was getting close.

There may be other differences but this is what I have found so far.

I haven't even had a chance to look at @tonesto7 new release. However, let's just keep something in mind, even the homebridge-hubitat-makerapi plugin was based on @tonesto7 original work that he had put it. Yes, I did some work here in regard to dynamically updating devices and utilizing the MakerAPI instead of a custom app on the HE end, but the core was still his original work. There were times way back when that the "old" custom HE app caused myself some issues and that is why I decided to rely on the build in MakerAPI to build my version of the plugin.

Anyhow, innovation is a good thing and I am more than confident that this new release by @tonesto7 is a great one. Just based on the interactions that I had with him and the original code base that I used from him, I would endorse this new version to anyone, even though I have not seen or used it myself!!

Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with the homebridge-hubitat-makerapi plugin. If you are happy and you don't need any of the newer features in this release, by all means, stay with it. However, if you are doing a new setup, why not use the latest and greatest? That would be my recommendation. Again, innovation is a good thing or we would still be sitting here and use one of these bastards:

10 Likes

This to me is my primary motivation to move over to this App when I can and have some free time, ease of use of being able to configure the devices HomeKit sees and what attributes.

@tonesto7 - Great job on the updates...HSM and Excludes now seem to be working on the latest versions!

I just noticed that I can't select any of my Virtual Temperature Sensors in any of the device categories.

On the main page of the app, there is a View Device Debug Data.
Try selecting the device under one of those and

I just notice that I can't select any of my virtual switches under the switches category but can under Other Devices.

Tap on view device data and it will output all data in JSON format

{
    "name": "Routine - Good Night Kids",
    "basename": "Routine - Good Night Kids",
    "deviceid": "1078",
    "status": "INACTIVE",
    "manufacturer": "Unknown",
    "model": "Virtual Switch",
    "deviceNetworkId": "199a6406-af2c-4441-a7b4-2c2156f7b4ba",
    "lastActivity": "2020-10-05T21:11:50+0000",
    "capabilities": [
        "Refresh",
        "Switch"
    ],
    "commands": [
        "off",
        "on",
        "refresh"
    ],
    "customflags": [],
    "attributes": {
        "switch": "off"
    },
    "eventHistory": []
}

I'm curious to see what capabilities are being shown.

Thanks for the quick response! I tried to find them under the Debug categories but they don't show up in the list either. I believe they are being filtered out of the lists because they don't contain a certain capability (like "Refresh").

I was able to pull the JSON from the MakerAPI though for one of the virtual temp. sensors:

JSON
{
"name": "Pool Water Temperature",
"label": "Pool Water Temperature",
"type": "Virtual Temperature Sensor",
"id": "897",
"date": "2020-10-28T21:06:10+0000",
"model": null,
"manufacturer": null,
"capabilities": [
"TemperatureMeasurement"
],
"attributes": {
"temperature": "71.0",
"dataType": "NUMBER",
"values": null
},
"commands": [
{
"command": "setTemperature"
}
]

I hope this helps?

I just installed this and I believe I did everything correctly. My HE devices and their show up in the home app, however I cannot control them. I can control everything just fine via HE and the devices status changes appropriately in the home app.
checking the logs in Homebridge, I get the following

any idea what this means and how to fix it?
Thanks

Check your logs under HE for any errors

@michael.sbrocchi After you send the command from Home App check your logs under Hubitat.
Here is an example of a command:

@tonesto7 no errors in HE logs. It seems like it is something on the Homekit/hombridge side. Under command history In the app, there is no command history for "commands received from HomeKit" but there is a history for "events sent to HomeKit"

There is also this error that pops up when the HE home bridge app sends a device refresh

I tried recreating an access token and updating the plugin, but that didn't fix it.

Things I've noticed so far:

• Thermostats do not get a fan conveyed through.
  • In the Homebridge settings, there is an option entitled "Enable Logging to file" with the description "This log will be created as homebridge-hubitat-v2.log in the same folder as this config.json file." The actual log name is "homebridge-hubitat-tonesto7.log", which is a symlink pointing to "homebridge-hubitat-tonesto7-[DATE].log"
  • HTTPS with custom cert doesn't work (not really your problem, but interesting to note)

@tonesto7 So I uninstalled the app on both homebridge and HE. I then reinstalled the HE app by following option 2 on your GitHub page and now everything works in the home app. The first time, when it wasn't working I just used the HE package manager to install it. Maybe that has something to do with it?

@tonesto7
There shouldn't be any quotes around app id in the config. I noticed this difference caused errors in devices sending updates back to homebridge. Config-ui-x adds quotes around this in the config file.

1 Like

I tried to combine 3 instances of Maker API into 2 instances of Homebridge Hubitat 2.0 and found that each sensor attribute counts as a single accessory towards the 150 accessory limit. I ended up having to create 4 instances of homebridge to handle everything. I'm not complaining, this app is awesome and it was well worth the effort!

Thanks @tonesto7 for all your efforts!

1 Like