[RELEASE] Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB)

Thank you for the tip. I’ll try that. I’m not having any issues, but not trying to invite trouble either.

I just setup a zigbee network on HA to hold me over until the zigbee issues get worked out. I'm testing a few devices out with this app and so far I can't tell that they're not connected to Hubitat. Seems pretty much like Hub mesh. I'm not worried about the HA VM resources but what about the hubitat hub? I would be sharing around 40 devices over HADB. I want to use this app to handle the zigbee so I don't have to bring my zwave over to HA.

Everything that creates an event in HA will get dumped into the event stream to Hubitat. I dealt with this by deleting the things in HA that I wasn’t actually using (Sun, weather, etc). That way the HADB isn’t having to filter out so much.

2 Likes

Thank you for the Info Ken, Great I can get rid of all the clutter in HA. Wow a post that the main topic isn't ZIGBEE

1 Like

It is extremely fast for me as well. I'm not using it for Zigbee since my C-8 has fortunately been rock solid. I am using it for some integrations that aren't available on HE, or are otherwise resource hungry (or just seem to be dialed up on HA to be more responsive). Apple TV/HomePod integration, Cielo thermostat control for a minisplit over the garage, Shark vacuum, Yamaha stereo, MyQ garage door, Hue, TP-Link,
and Litter Robot (for ES announcements).
The only problem I have encountered with HADB is that I can't dim up/down Hue bulbs (ramp up and down), only adjust the level. I only briefly played around with the Hue integration on HA as CoCoHue on HE has been great in every other respect. I have one Hue bulb synced from HA to HE to control a single automation because for whatever reason, push events seem to be completely reliable from Hue to HA, but not from Hue to HE if it's been a while since the last event (for me at least).

1 Like

It's not so much the number of devices as the number of events that matter. A few devices constantly generating events will use more resources then a slew of switches seldom used.

3 Likes

I just installed the bridge and added two devices - a motion sensor and a door sensor. These are Abode sensors that are connected to HASS thought the HomeKit Controller. Everything seemed to go smoothly and the devices were created.

But it seems that the open/close status update of these devices in Hubitat is taking 5 or more minutes, I see the status change in the logbook in HASS immediately.

I'm obviously doing something wrong? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know if this is related but my hub has been complaining about severe load since I installed the bridge.

I'm also getting lots of debug messages but debug is not turned on. I turning it on and off but still getting lots of messages.

43863665 ms is over 12 hours... obviously something is very wrong.

That device 890 is reporting transmit data in MB. Probably your router. Is there entries in your log that pertain to other devices to show us?

1 Like

I only selected two devices - both Abode sensors. I then disabled one and the other one caused the same crazy amount of traffic. So I de-selected both of them and still high traffic. I will try reinstalling it.

If you want us to help you troubleshoot, we need to see some logs.

The amount of traffic does not depend on the number of devices selected: All events from all your devices will be processed no matter what you have selected. (the log you showed us is an example: you did not selected the router but its reporting gets through the bridge anyway).

It's look like one or more devices are generating lots of events. Or maybe there is a loop created somewhere in your setup. Are you using an app to get data from HE to HA?

2 Likes

Sorry, don't mean to be vague. It is difficult to get information on what is going on as the traffic overwhelms the hub and it becomes unresponsive. I am using the hacs-hubitat integration to bring devices over to HA from HE. Could this be the issue? Thanks.

It certainly looks like you inadvertently created a feedback loop between the 2. If you disable the hacs integration you will see the traffic stop.

It is possible to go both ways. Others are doing this without problem. I'm sure they could give you pointers.

ok, so I installed on my new C8 hub that does not have a hacs-hubitat connection. I see the same level of activity. Within 10 minutes the bridge has generated the second highest activity level on the hub.

When I look at the live logs it is the only app generating traffic and it is continuous. If the hub were stuck in a loop I would expect to see another app responding to this app? So it doesn't appear to be another app getting stuck in a loop with it.

Very strange but I can't think of a way to diagnose beyond this.

How 'busy' is your Home Assistant system? Do you have many devices/entities on the HA system? Or just a few?

HADB simply uses a webSocket connection that is exposed by HA. Thus, HADB is forced to process every single bit of traffic that Home Assistant transmits over that webSocket. If your Home Assistant system is large, with many devices (especially those that generate lots of events), then I could see your Hubitat system getting pretty busy.

Thats the weird thing - I barely use my HA. As with others, I only use it for integrating something I can't do directly with HE. I have about 20 automations. Frigate is possibly the most active. I do have a number of apps that I played around with but don't use so I could start going through and deleting them.

For now I will keep using the virtual device route and keep playing around to see if I can figure this out.

1 Like

To find the culprit, logs are your friends. :wink:

This will tell you exactly what is causing the high level of traffic

As best as I can tell it is repeating the snippet I posted above for every entity in HA and doing it continuously. I went through the logs and I don't (yet) see one entity more than any other.

Yes, all event messages will look similar. Still, the info they are giving should be a clue to what is happening.