[RELEASE] Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB)

I have a question about an entity in HA that's appearing as a motion sensor in HE. I have the Ring integration in HA, and the 'button' on the doorbell is: binary_sensor.front_door_ding

However, this 'binary sensor' is coming over as motion, which is confusing in HA because Ring also has a separate motion sensor as well. Is there another type of HE device that would be more appropriate/less confusing? I tried to use a 'virtual switch' that has an auto-off feature, but it wasn't compatible.

As per instructions:

The built in Hubitat driver, while too limited overall, does do power fine. Also, there is a Denon Homebridge plugin (homebridge-denon-tv) that works too

1 Like

Ya tried the HE Denon plugin, and it was trash. Would work for a few days, then die. Asked in the forums for that driver, and due to telnet issues and Denon, they acknowledged it does have issues. I currently have Denon connected through to HB, but then I need an Apple Home automation to flip a HE virtual switch. Apple Home automations can be quite unreliable, so my goal was to use HA to set HE state information and remove Apple Home/HB from the equation.

1 Like

Can you do something like this: Template Switch - Home Assistant

I've used this one in the past. It's got more features. Not sure if it has similar performance issues to the built in driver. The guy who wrote it is no longer a Hubitat user, so consider it unmaintained.

Hi there,

Just a quick questions regarding HADB. Has anyone set up Hubitat and HA in a bi-directional method? I.e using HADB to populate Home Assistant devices to Hubitat, and using the Home Assistant integration into Hubitat to feed Hubitat devices into Home Assistant.

The reason why I'm asking is because HA supports bluetooth devices, which I would like to utilize in Hubitat (easier to work with Rules for automations), but expose Hubitat to Home Assistant for dashboards.

1 Like

I do this, for very specific reasons. The majority of devices I have on HA work with HA device bridge and do not require an HE to HA integration. However, some do not work completely, and so I share Hubitat virtual switches to HA, and then use HA automation to trigger the Hubitat virtual switch when HA device triggers.

[NOTE]
You can also do this with HA Toggle Helpers and HADB. Sometimes that's easier, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

test toggle example

It works almost the same with the automation you create on HA, but Helpers are not devices, so in the Action on HA, you have to select Helpers > Input boolean

Then you have to select Input boolean: Turn off or Input boolean: Turn on, and because it's not a device, you instead select the HA entity.

1 Like

I do as I mentioned above (but I only really do so to get some HE devices to appear in an HA dashboard):

Thank you! I figured this is the way - just wanted to make sure there's no other "hiccups" involved

This is how I'm doing it also with Apple TV and homepod state changes flipping switches to initiate routines.

1 Like

Hey
So I just added a new smart blind to HA, I managed to discover it in the HADB app and tick the box to include it, all good.

But when I click 'Discover and select devices' it takes FOREVER - like 2-3 mins. Is this normal? I ask because occasionally it only takes 2-3 seconds which seems more reasonable.

I’ve never seen this not be immediate. It doesn’t take any longer than a regular webpage load. I have HA running on an I7 6700 with 16GB ram and 500GB ssd running Ubuntu and on ethernet, so it’s not exactly stressed.

1 Like

My HA is also running on a very high spec NAS with 32GB ram and SSDs etc etc. I've not actually looked at the NAS CPU load when I click the button. Although I have seen Hubitat give the 'Hub load is elevated' alert whilst it is waiting for/processing the devices in discovery.

You might want to look at your logs on Hubitat. I don't use HA for very much, 5 devices on this instance, 4 tp link outlets and one Hue light:

and it's consuming the same amount of resources as a Hue bridge with 50 rgbw lights.

The average processing time is not far from each other.

Notice that the default HA config is dumping on the event stream sun data every 4 minutes as well as both weather forecast and local conditions quite regularely. HADB has to process everything that comes through, whether you selected it or not

Note: These can be disabled in your HA configuration.

3 Likes

Thank you for the tip. I’ll try that. I’m not having any issues, but not trying to invite trouble either.

I just setup a zigbee network on HA to hold me over until the zigbee issues get worked out. I'm testing a few devices out with this app and so far I can't tell that they're not connected to Hubitat. Seems pretty much like Hub mesh. I'm not worried about the HA VM resources but what about the hubitat hub? I would be sharing around 40 devices over HADB. I want to use this app to handle the zigbee so I don't have to bring my zwave over to HA.

Everything that creates an event in HA will get dumped into the event stream to Hubitat. I dealt with this by deleting the things in HA that I wasn’t actually using (Sun, weather, etc). That way the HADB isn’t having to filter out so much.

2 Likes

Thank you for the Info Ken, Great I can get rid of all the clutter in HA. Wow a post that the main topic isn't ZIGBEE

1 Like