[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Just an update.....all changes in state are very snappy now. Obviously, something on my end was introducing a delay.

Have you thought about using a Trello board to track updates so we can vote on them? I think you have great potential here which could lead to monetizing the Android app, but you would need a better way to track bugs and feature requests.

1 Like

This is what I meant. I've tried to use the hubitat app for this. Ive had mixed results. Since you are one of the few developers here that does android stuff and you seem to understand the all the nuances of sleepy devices you might have built something with more reliability.

No worries just thought I'd ask. I've read the entire thread before. Just couldn't remember if this was in there somewhere.

What you've done here is amazing. About the only other thing I could hope for is integration with tasker.

Hey @jpage4500
Loving all the updates you're making, keep up the great work.

I've one more small request for you. As I'm adding new devices to Hubitat all the time when I make them available to the dashboard they show up at the start and mess up my layout on multiple devices.
It would be great if they could be added at the end instead.

Also loving the new widgets. Makes controlling a few devices on my phone much easier.

On my Android 10 Fairphone 3 phone the text under the widget is cropped

Yeah, I run into this too every so often.. for example, after a recent power outage I had to remove and re-add some devices (and add them to MakerAPI as well). What I do with new devices is insert them according to the sort order that's selected (device type by default).

The problem comes once a device is moved - I end up fixing all of the devices positions where they are at that point and new devices just get added to the front. I could instead put them at the end like you're asking for. What I would prefer though is to only fix the location of the device(s) that are moved and all the rest would continue to be sorted according to the sort order preference. I haven't figured out a good way to do that yet but it's on the list

I noticed the same thing on my device too.. I am kind of trying to make the widget look like a normal icon on the home screen but it's not really possible to do that as every app launcher can have it's own theme/fonts/etc.

I could wrap the label to 2 lines.. not sure if that would look better or worse though. I can also change the font size to be smaller. I tried to pick a font size that was similar to my home screen icons though.

Android has some limitations on what can be displayed on app widgets.. otherwise I'd just use the custom views I use in the app. There's still a lot that can be done -- but several of the custom views I use won't work. That said, I'll continue to try and make some devices like thermostats and primary text devices (ie: temp, humidity) work better as widgets too

I looked at Trello a while back.. I like the idea though! Right now my TODO list is just a google doc and it's not descriptive enough to share. I do keep an eye on this forum and try to implement anything that seems like it would be valuable to multiple users. I do miss things though so feel free to bring it up again here in the meantime

I personally use a custom order for everything, so having them added at the end would be the easiest option for me, but yeah I can see how your solution would be better.

My sort order was actually listed as Custom until I changed it to device type (which ruined my order as expected :cry: ) But when I reordered them the sort order is still listed as Device type.
I'm wondering if something changed between the versions.

My idea would be if someone changes things around their display order would be set to custom and then the devices get added to the end, otherwise if someone uses a standard device order or A to Z order they get added according to the preference.
That might be easier to implement and I think would be good enough

I don't think wrapping it would solve the problem. I've seen with longer names it gets cropped even more, but I specifically picked a short name so that it wouldn't be cropped.
Making the font smaller might solve, but it actually looks like compared to other icons the widget is a bit lower than the icons and that's what's causing the issue. I'll post a screenshot shortly

I wouldn't mind the text not fully being shown if it's too long, but it just looks like everything is shifted down. Icon and text

How did you get the mode tile to have a picture on it, the sun for day would be a moon at night.

When working on this I wanted to make it look like a launcher icon but ran across this post:

Widgets should look like widgets, not like shortcuts. The main reason is that there is absolutely NO guarantee about what a shortcut will look like. Other devices (especially ones with custom system UIs like MOTOBLUR or HTC Sense) might have a different look and feel. Or in the next update of Android we might change the way shortcuts are presented.

I can tweak the UI to make it look closer to my launcher screen (I use lawnchair laucher btw) but I've debated if I'd be better off making the widgets not try to look like a homescreen icon somehow..

I did nothing on the app itself, but I had to create rules to make this change, it doesn't happen automagically. Here is an example (maybe it is not the best example as it was the first rule I have created on HE):

I went through this myself a little bit ago.. then I found a buit-in app called Mode Manager. It makes changing modes by time pretty easy as well as in my case whenever my phone is away it'll set the mode to away too

I wish it were easier to figure a lot of things out like this but I've come to rely on a lot of searching through these forums -- and they're usually a good answer!

1 Like

The sun and moon icons are built into the Mode device tile - but I only have icons for the built-in modes (Day/Night/EveningAway). Anything else just displays the mode as text.

If I can figure out an easy way to assign an image for every mode I'll do it

Sure - I can do that. Would it make more sense to remove the slider from the blinds tile and just have a click show some kind of custom popup that has open/closed plus the last entered position or 2? The last option would be to enter a custom value.. which would show up in the list next time

1 Like

I do like having the slider available and it's useful. It's just painful if I accidentally short click on the tile and don't slide left or right, and then the blinds completely open or close. How about if you short click on the blinds tile, it asks for a value instead of the auto full open or close?

IT had to be something with TinyCam -- I flushed the cache and started over and it's working.

@jpage4500, I really like the new widgets. However, the garage door widget doesn't work. When clicked it opens the Dashboard app instead. I've tried this on both my car and my Samsung S10+, same results. I've tested a lock, single light, group of lights, plug, switch and a scene. All of that works fine.

The widgets are working with my Note 9 and MyQ Lite app.

I love this app, thanks so much for the work you've put in. I do enjoy the ability to have different dashboards I can switch between but I'm sure you'll get there once it's stable.