[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Hey guys -- I started to implement MJPG support.. only I ran into a bit of a snag.. I can't find any MJPEG stream to use for testing! I did find an Android app that turns an old phone into a camera so I'm going to try that (my power's out at the moment so I haven't been able to yet).

Anyway, I'm trying to learn more about MJPG, RTSP and streaming video in general. For adding a video feed to any other dashboard - do you need more options than just a URL and refresh rate? I don't see a way to control the refresh rate with the MJPG library I'm using so I'll have to dig into it to see how frequently it looks for images.

First, I installed manually, then HPM. I'll look at it when I get home.

I'm happy to test for you if needed. I have 6 local streams right now. In the HE built-in dashboard, it's just a link or a link and refresh frequency for stills.

Just wanted to say thank you and keep up the amazing work.

2 Likes

Sent you logs.

Got it working. Honestly, not sure what I did. Forecasthigh was not showing up in details, even though it was on in the device. I updated to the latest driver -- don't think that was it. I did switch the device to the openweather built-in driver -- saved. Refreshed -- then back to the custom driver and it worked.

Hmm - I can setup a camera just for testing through tinycam. I don't have any paint drying -- how about a napping cat?

Thanks, I was able to get it working using the Android App IP Webcam on another phone. There's a few tweaks I need to do and then I'll push out a beta build

2 Likes

Trying to setup cloud mode. I paste in the access token I got from the maker api, but it doesn't persist after I close the dashboard settings. Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Clarifying, I put in the access token and close the settings, but when I return to more settings Cloud Mode is still disabled and the access token is gone.

Just wanted to say thanks for this app... what a gem. I had checked out this thread long ago and liked what I saw but stopped reading when I saw the Android version requirement-- I am using ActionTiles (via HubConnect/ST) on the Wink Relay. Happened to re-visit and tried the recent version; actually I spent a day customising it and amazingly haven't found much reason to use ActionTiles since. It runs fine on the Relay and looks great; and it's so fast (literally instantaneous) on my phone.

The 'live' icons on the folders are great.. it makes them useful for a quick status view in addition to just being containers. And I really like how easy it is to configure and transfer to another device (though for some reason I can't figure out how to do this on the Relay-- the app stops when 'import' is selected). I like the fact that if I accidentally drop a tile into a folder, I can move it back onto the 'root' screen by dropping it onto the 'back' arrow. Maybe I missed it, but is there a straightforward way to restore a single hidden tile to the 'root' screen (without restoring all hidden tiles). As a workaround I have been restoring the tile to a folder, then moving that tile back to the main screen by dropping it onto the 'back' arrow of the folder.

It works and looks amazingly fine as is, so my wish list for enhancements is pretty short: I'd really like a way to 'protect' tiles (set them view only or PIN protect) to keep from fat-fingering tiles that I don't want to activate inadvertently (I have a tendency to do this when using my phone). Maybe something I overlooked but it would be nice to be able to create separate tiles for different attributes of the same device (like separate temp and motion tiles for a motion/temp sensor). I've been creating virtual devices on the hub as a workaround for this, purely as a display enhancement (to get a bigger view of the temp on a motion sensor, for example, in a folder of temp sensors). Also I haven't found a way to get power displayed from my power reporting devices. Apologies if this has been covered previously in the thread.

And this app really deserves its own distinctive name...I kept forgetting the name of the thread when trying to search for it on the forum. Hubitat Dashboard is OK but kind of humble.

In short, if ActionTiles were to stop working on ST today, I probably would not miss it... and I'm pretty sure I can now live without the HubConnect/ST link as well. Well done!

2 Likes

True, maybe something more specific to the app/creator.
Sort of like looking in a book.
Hmm, book, chapter...
Hubitat PageS

Sorry for the troubles.. the 'intent' is to make this as easy as possible. The app fetches the cloud token at login and once it has that it can work from anywhere. My first question would be why it didn't fetch that after logging in. Ideally no one would have to manually enter that cloud token -- but I'll check to see if there's a bug with the app not saving it if you do.

For cloud mode in general I have some ideas how to make it easier to enable after logging in. The key today is needing location permission which is necessary to get the SSID (WIFI Access Point). That's the fastest way I can think of to know if the app is being run locally or outside the house.

Ah, ok. Knowing that, I logged out, and back in. Now the setting shows the access token and says the cloud mode is "Local", so it is working. Thanks!

"Hubitat Dashboard" is direct and simple (plus!) easy to find in the app store (plus!) but is also a little generic (minus).

I don't have a great suggestion for renaming the app, but @jpage4500 I do think this thread would benefit from a title change:

Something like: "Android Dashboard app for tablets and phones"

• Folks using tablets wall-mounted will get it, but you don't want to make it sound like that's the only way this app works. :slight_smile: I have it on a tablet sitting on a stand in the kitchen that my wife and son use.
  • I also have it on my phone, and obviously others here are also running it on both tablets and phones. It's very versatile!

good point! Originally my only focus was for wall mounted tablets but I'm more and more using it on my phone and have plans to make it better

1 Like

Consider it done...

version 1.0.624 (beta)

• support MJPG video stream
  • show wide preview window for wide mode tiles

The biggest change is MJPG support. You can add a MJPG stream through the "Add Image / URL" dialog like any other image. The difference is a dropdown box where you can select Image or MJPG. Right now I've got 2 crop options - stretch and best fit.

I'm sure there will be changes needed as I've only tested this with 1 video stream (another phone running IP Webcam app).

2 Likes

Back to Thermostats again....... I know it's difficult to please everyone, but a Radiator eTRV type of thermostat is very different from a thermostat that's driving a HVAC system.

We got it right in your app a while ago, but then a requsted change made it unworkable again for me.

Maybe a setting "eTRV or HVAC Thermostat?" to enable one or the other sets of functionality?

The eTRV's are really either "Heat" or "Off" - no cooling or fans. Ideally for a eTRV the arrows to adjust temp should always be available. At the moment if I try to adjust mode to "heat" to enable the arrows the driver on HE looks at the setpoints and immediately resets the mode to "off" - unworkable.

Many thanks, Simon

lots of good questions/requests! I'll try to answer them but let me know if i missed any:

I'm surprised so many people have Wink Relays.. I had one which broke but literally only knew about it because I worked for Wink and they sent me one.. I do love how much better it can be once it's hacked to run other apps.

The Wink Relay OS is pretty old so I'm not surprised there's issues. If you're able to get/send a device log to me (about->support) I can try to help with any issues. But, I'm not able to reproduce them myself.

the app stops when 'import' is selected

I see why.. the API I'm using to pick a file to import isn't supported on API 18

I'll look into supporting this for API18 as well

is there a straightforward way to restore a single hidden tile to the 'root' screen

Instead of resetting all hidden devices I can show a list of all devices and let you check/uncheck which ones you want to be hidden. That should make things easier.

I was actually thinking of something similar to this too.. I was thinking of being able to lock all devices globally for cases with kids (like mine) or just making it harder to accidentally turn something on. It would be just as easy to allow individual tiles to be protected by a PIN too -- just seemed like that would be a pain to setup 1 by 1.

Maybe the same idea as hiding tiles could work.. showing all devices in a list with checkboxes with a 'select all' option at the top.

it would be nice to be able to create separate tiles for different attributes of the same device

That's on my list too. It shouldn't be too hard to do either..

get power displayed from my power reporting devices

I don't have any of these devices.. Can you send me a device log? It should attach 2 files - 1 is a 'config' file which I can import into my dashboard. Then, I can see how everything is displayed today plus all of the device attributes. That's been really helpful to me for testing devices I don't have.

this app really deserves its own distinctive name

haha.. yeah, I'm not that creative! Ideas?