[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Hi Chad. In my environment, I'm using an Android Emulator. There are a couple I've had luck with - BlueStacks and Memu. Having glanced at the response posted after your posting, I learn there is also something called WSA which I'm about to take a look at! Memu has ads, and BlueStacks was having recent device emulation issues that affected me causing me to switch.
Many of the followers of this incredible tool use fire tablets or similar devices.
This apps author, who is on a whole nother level - a magician - has taken this dashboard tool to places I only dreamed about! I buy him a coffee as often as I can! Be sure you support his efforts so he keeps doing this!

1 Like

Thanks guys. The WSA sounds interesting. I am using samsung tablets, so that should easily be done. So it appears the data of the dashboard you create is local to the tablet, as opposed to HE dashboard is local to the hub, and accessible on any machine with a browser. Would I be right in saying that? I haven't got a full understanding of where the HD+ dashboard is stored. i.e. if I create a HD+ dashboard is it only available on that one tablet?

Do you mean any customizations like layout, colors, etc? Yes, that's all done on the phone/tablet itself. But, you can backup that config to the Hub or anywhere else and restore it on another device.

Yes, coming from HE dashboards I can open up the same dashboard on any device, anywhere. This is good to know that I can back up my HD+ Dashboard. That's a good feature. Does your app work on Chromebooks?

@jpage4500 I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Phones don't have a dedicated "Menu" button anymore. Make it easier to get to the main menu, so that if you're within a subfolder, you don't have to keep pressing "Back" to get the menu to open.
  2. Enable the Android Auto option even if the phone has never connected to Android Auto with the app installed. I want to configure what displays for the next time it connects, but I haven't used it yet with the app installed.

EDIT:
3. Is it possible to make Backup -> Save to Hub work when Hub Login Security is enabled?

Hi Joe,

I love your HD+ dashboard.

Is there a way to keep it from auto arranging the tiles when trying to move one to a new spot?
I see the sort options but I want to put tiles in specific places & if I chose an option like sorting by name or device type I'm thinking I won't be able move them in some kind of manual fashion.

I don't see a manual way to sort tiles.

Thanks, Steve

You just drag them into the order you want. Dragging one tile to a specific spot will move the rest forward one spot. It’s important to note that they’re moved that way regardless of the tile size so it can seem that they’re moving randomly but they are not. The top left corner of any tile greater than 1 x 1 dictates its position. Once you get used to it it’s pretty easy.

1 Like

You should be able to swipe from left to right to open the menu while in a folder. What device and OS version are you using? I just tested it on a Pixel (Android 14) and Samsung S10 (13)

Enable the Android Auto option even if the phone has never connected to Android Auto with the app installed. I want to configure what displays for the next time it connects, but I haven't used it yet with the app installed.

I was trying to keep the menu's simple as there's already a lot in there. I wasn't sure how many people would also have Android Auto as well. But, I suppose if was visible it'd be more obvious that it works with AA too so I'll think about showing it always

1. Is it possible to make Backup -> Save to Hub work when Hub Login Security is enabled?

I haven't done a lot of testing with Hubitat Security enabled. Let me test that one and see how hard it'd be to support

Yes, I've used HD+ for over a year and moved tiles many times.
I don't understand what you mean about the top left corner of a tile.
I can't get a tile to move to an empty tile spot near the bottom of the screen.
It's like HD+ is forcing all tiles to fill up and to the left.
The sort I have is custom. I really don't want tiles to resort based on last update or the name.
Thanks for you help.

I didn't know about that. It works, thanks.

That's just how drag and drop works with these grid-type layouts - it tries to fill empty space from top->down and left->right.

There's a space tile you can add to the dashboard if you want empty space. You can add multiple or change the tile size to take up multiple spaces.

Just bear in mind that Microsoft just yesterday announced they will stop supporting Android apps in 2025

Yep! I saw that... I made the switch to Android Studio and just running it in an emulator there. Works great.

@jpage4500 Another suggestion: is it possible to have the action when activating an Android Auto device automatically be the same as the action that's configured for the same device on the dashboard?

For example, I have my garage door set up on the dashboard to do a "Toggle" action when I tap it. That works fine on the dashboard, but in Android Auto, when I tap it, it shows another screen asking me if I want to send an open or close command. It would be great if that would also do a toggle instead of asking me every time.

1 Like

It works for me after I set it... but there is a small bug. If I configure my Hub to only allow HTTPS connections:

(on /hub/advanced/certificate)

... if I then try to set up HD+ on a phone that's never logged in to the hub before, it fails to log in. It works again if I turn that hub setting back off.

When the setting is on, I believe the hub sends automatic redirect responses to any non-secure requests. Are you able to detect those and automatically turn on HTTPS?

Edit: In this case, you'll also need to send the initial login request over HTTPS.
Edit 2: If it's easier, maybe you can just add the "HTTPS only" setting to the Advanced section on the initial login screen.

@jpage4500 I have another suggestion: can you provide options when restoring a saved dashboard configuration to not import the presence and location tracking settings? I set up a layout that I want to import on multiple phones, but I want to set up different presence tracking settings on each one.

Great job. This app has come a long way since I tried it when you first released it.

Anyone know how to set a banner at the bottom of the app to prevent accidental button presses?

Context: I am an avid Samsung user. I have my phone set so that my bottom row of virtual buttons disappears after a few seconds...so when I want to use the back button in an app, I first have to swipe up from the bottom of the screen, then my row of "Menu, Home, Back" buttons appears at the bottom of the screen. When using the HD+ app (which I otherwise love), I am constantly accidentally turning on/off lights when I try to leave the app. Once, I accidentally turned the water shutoff valve when I was trying to leave the app and wondered why the water stopped running 4 hours later before I finally figured it out.

I know this app is perfect for the people who use it on a permanently-mounted wall tablet but I was wondering if there is a setting you guys who use it on mobile use to prevent accidental presses.

You could put password protect on critical buttons.

You can make it so any click requires a confirmation before any command is sent to the Hub. It's in the Edit device dialog but you can make it so it affects all devices.

Awesome this solves my issue...thanks!