[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

If you enable Celsius, I'm just converting the temp to F and comparing it against the ranges in that chart. I'll double-check the formula I'm using though.. I added that part really fast so I might have messed it up.

1 Like

I like the 1st and 3rd option. Basically the white numbers looks better than the colored numbers. Shading the entire background does stand out more. A guest in the house even noticed. "Oh, new colors." But the entire background could also be a bit much. The 1st image, where you just shade the icon behind it is great. As long as the Dark Grey/Blue icon theme doesn't muck it up.

I'm also not a fan of the color scale. I love the idea, but I think above 73 should start turning red. It was 71 in the house and the shading was a light red. To me, red means hot. Perhaps a way to customize it for personal preference? Have a default, but then you can override the values. Last thing on the shading, that dark green in the middle is too dark. Maybe it's that image, but it sticks out compared to the lighter shades on either side of it.

I'm not sure who else is using this feature at the moment but I'm open to just changing it - I just did a google image search and picked one that had some temp ranges.

Perhaps a way to customize it for personal preference?

That would take some time to implement.. at least if I had to add UI for it and then try to figure out where to put the setting/etc. Plus, not sure how many people will even see it since it's off by default. But, if there's a better looking default version I'm good just changing it first.

btw - that gradient logic is just something I re-used from the light sensor device type. In that case there's not a huge difference between the different versions though.. it's a lot more subtile.

Oh cool. I didn't know that was a thing. Must have missed that update. There's a 3rd party app I use for Netatmo called SmartMixin. I'll see if I can get that scale from him and share it.

EDIT: Asked and awaiting a response. The app is https://smartmixin.io/. And here's a couple of samples of the gradient scaling.

1 Like

Any suggestion on the preferred tablet to run HD+ on. Amazon Fire? Android based tablet? Thanks

I have all Amazon fire HD tablets and am very happy. I do not have any other tablet experience.

I also have 2 Fire tablets - a 10" and 7" and they've been running great for years now. I did replace the Fire OS with LineageOS because I wanted to remove the lock screen -- which in turn lets HD+ turn the tablet off at night and on in the morning. I needed older tablets to do that though (2017 I believe) and I don't know/think you can do that with newer ones. Not to mention it was a major PITA to do to begin with.

Eventually I'll have to replace them and I expect the new ones will work out of the box.. the only thing I'll probably do is use the screen saver option which keeps the device running all the time instead of turning it off completely

Thanks. I will pick up a 10" Fire to experiment with.

I certainly like the look of these -- I'd just need to translate it into a color per temp range to get it into the app. There can be as many or few ranges as necessary but here's what I have defined today. It's in F but I just translate C to F if you select the 'use celsius' option (side-note: I moved this setting into a global place in the upcoming version). I'm fine with using C as the guide too and converting F->C if that's easier to come up with ranges..

<!-- temperature colors (range) -->
    <color name="temp_color_101_">#e10064</color>
    <color name="temp_color_91_100">#ff0000</color>
    <color name="temp_color_81_90">#ff5800</color>
    <color name="temp_color_71_80">#ff5800</color>
    <color name="temp_color_61_70">#ffbd00</color>
    <color name="temp_color_51_60">#ffff00</color>
    <color name="temp_color_41_50">#72ff4d</color>
    <color name="temp_color_31_40">#00b342</color>
    <color name="temp_color_21_30">#00cfd5</color>
    <color name="temp_color_11_20">#009dff</color>
    <color name="temp_color_1_10">#2f33d3</color>
    <color name="temp_color__9_0">#7400d3</color>
    <color name="temp_color__19__10">#a800ff</color>
    <color name="temp_color__29__20">#d396ff</color>
    <color name="temp_color__29_">#e2e0ed</color>

3 Likes

Anything -30 or below, you should just put inside an ice cube. And anything 101 and higher, just put that number on fire. Although for those in Phoenix and Texas, they'll see the flames everyday between May and Oct.

1 Like

version 1.0.2334

• support a new OwnTracks Hubitat app
  • allow drag and drop to folder title tile to move device out of folder
  • fix issues with device copies showing up in random folders
  • fix issue with recent status icon not getting removed from folder
  • don't stack temp or humidity devices on folder cover
  • don't reload device list after done editing
  • move metric option to settings -> display options
  • fix using custom text or icon color

I added support for this OwnTracks app

I tried to spend some time on some little annoying issues that I've seen. I found and fixed an issue where making a device copy would show up in a random folder. That was one of those bugs I've heard reported before but never was able to reproduce. I also am not reloading the device list after exiting edit mode anymore

I moved a "Use Metric" setting to the Display Options menu. Right now it's only used by 2 different device types so you might not notice anything change if you're not using either of them.

6 Likes

I haven't forgotten about this one. I was just hoping to get the color scheme finished before applying it to other device types. Here's some weather and thermostat tile examples below (using the current color scheme). I'm not certain how to do this for the custom tiles since more than 1 attribute is displayed.. same with folders that show one of these 'temp' tiles on the folder cover. I'll have to think about that one more.

4 Likes

I heard back from the developer of SmartMixin on his color shading. I'll paste that below. I also changed the text color in my temp tiles room white. The darker the shade the better you call read the white numbers from across the room. I think I'd prefer to shade the icon vs the entire tile. Or make the time share less bright/vibrant.

Here's the comment from Vincent:

I am using a javascript library chroma-js to generate the temperature gradient. Following is the code snippet to get the 60 values:

export const temperatureScale = chroma
.scale([
'#fd00ff',
'#0000CD',
'#0084ff',
'#00fff4',
'#63ed09',
'#ffff00',
'#FFA500',
'#ff004d',
])
.domain([-20, 40])
.classes(60);
1 Like

version 1.0.2338 (beta)

• support custom temperature background for weather, thermostat and custom device types
  • use a different temperature color scale for background colors

I wasn't able to use that code -- not sure what it's doing. But, I did find what looks like a better color <-> temp mapping so I updated the app to use that. It's in 5 degree increments (I'm only using -20 to 100 F)

You can also use the Custom device type for this now as well -- as long as one of the display items is Temperature

4 Likes

The AZ and TX folks, well those Arizonian's South of Northern AZ, will want you to go above 100. 110 is probably more normal for them.

I like the scale much better than the other one. More gradient without a hard green in the middle. And 72* doesn't appear as red either. Looking forward to Google Play getting this into the store so I can update.

I LOVE THE NEW SCALE!!! Changing the text color to white looks much better on these tiles too. And I can read them from across the room.

From left to right. Original shading with blue theme text color. New shading, still blue text. New shading with white text. (Sorry for the semi blurry images. My hallway was dark)

1 Like

feature request - can this be added as an optional on/off for thermostats? I've a virtual thermostat that would enjoy this benefit!
Thank you for considering.

I tried changing my text color for my Nest but it's not an option. As I'm typing this, I didn't think about trying to change the icon color. Is it possible to to a custom text color on the Nest? Or does it only use the Theme colors? I enabled the temp scale on my nest, which of course makes it so I can't read it from across the room.

1 Like

I currently have a couple of Life 360 tiles on my dashboard as I have the Life 360+ app in Hubitat. As they're no longer updating I need to switch them to Owntracks. I take it that I need to add the Owntracks Hubitat app first, regardless of whether I need the presence features? I'm using Locative for presence in Hubitat.

I think so, yes. If you add the Owntracks Hubitat app it'll create Hubitat devices for all of your phones running Owntracks. You can add those devices to MakerAPI and they'll show up in HD+