[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Everything needed to connect to your Hub should be contained in the backup file. If you do a backup to the Hub then you can access that backup via http://hubitat.local/hub/fileManager (on the same network as the Hub).

If you copy all 3 backups to each hub you should be able to restore from any of them.

It's also possible to add a shortcut link from 1 dashboard to another.. not trivial to do but I tried to list how here.

1 Like

If I read that correctly this would be a prime example of having multiple tabs. What did you end up deciding regarding the tab idea?

Here's what that looked like (from a long while ago); I don't know about taking up so much space on the screen for tabs though so I think I'd want to auto-hide them. But, I can try to put something together if there's enough people who'd use it..

I don't think folders can go away. I'm not sure anybody would want that. I was thinking instead it would be in addition to folders. We could use tabs for different dashboard or separate by device if our main screen is organized by room or vice versa. Additionally if it were for dashboards we could keep our different dashboard all together making for just 1 backup for all of our various dashboards.

Agreed - I forgot my original post was replacing folders with tabs.. I was just looking at the UI part of it.

I'll give it some more thought.. I'd like to make it as simple as possible - both to create and use - and that's usually the challenge.

1 Like

That's probably best. Just a few thoughts. Flexibility is always king, hence we all use Hubitat. With that in mind could there be an option like system that we select (though it probably wouldn't matter but your the brains) for each tab. Examples that come to mine.

Select tab type:

1. By Room
  2. By Device type
  3. By Dashboard

Not sure if there is actually any differentiation between those 3 but I suspect a tab dedicated to a different dashboard might be a bit different than the other 2.

Also what I envision is the tab ribbon on top should be either adjustable or no larger (possibly smaller than 1 column) this could be difficult I'm guessing unless we jack up the column count, which would work just fine. I recently reduced my columns from 12 to 6 on my phone to make the back button usable size wise. The tab ribbon would be way to large atca height of 1 at 6 column layout, but would be an acceptable size at 12 column layout.

Another thought would be to update the AMAZING return home function (I can't express how wonderful this is) to a return to tab function.

Just food for thought

1 Like

I recently added Home Assistant to my mix using the Home Assistant Device Bridge app. It's amazing but obviously Hubitat cannot handle all of the "entities" or information contained by Home Assistant. @jpage4500 any thoughts on if your dashboard could take in that info?
Just a very simple example is their speedtest integration. It simply runs speedtest.net every hour and displays the result. That would be nice to have on my dashboard since I use Starlink and when video buffering happens at home it would be convenient to look at that on my dashboard as a first step to figure out what's going on.

That seems useful although I think ideally it'd be an app that runs on the hub every X (mins/hours) and updates a device with some details (download speed, upload speed, etc).. then that device can be displayed on any dashboard.. I haven't written many (any) Hub drivers but it seems like one that would be pretty easy to write

1 Like

That was just an example. I was amazed on all of the info my Amcrest doorbell generated in Home Assistant. Most of it probably isn't useful, but who knows on other devices. Was just curious if there was some sort of template you could make to, if nothing else, import that data into a tile. Maybe along the lines of a notification device for Home Assistant. @tomw might have some thoughts as he was part of the device bridge.

FYI at this point I'm liking Home Assistant and would consider making it my primary system and just use my HE hub for the devices...but your dashboard is just so superior to anything I see on Home Assistant. It really should be the official dashboard of HE in my mind.

2 Likes

Thanks, Joe - The part that mixed me up for a while is there are two tokens. One for local and one for remote access. When copying the tokens over, I was mixing them up in the dashboard settings. I now have shortcut titles at the bottom of my dashboards that jump me to my other locations. Just what I was hoping to accomplish. :slight_smile:

Similar problem as my pad. Wants to connect to remoteaccess.aws.hubitat.com which does not seem to work.

It would be great if there could be an option to display more items when you increase the size of a tile that is a folder. I currently have a folder with 7 items (more are coming), but it will only display 4, regardless of the tile size.

Advanced: Maybe a folder property for a target number of items to be displayed, then it could choose to display more items or increase the icons size based on the space available.
Basic (would be fine for me): Keep the smallest possible icon size and display as many as possible

Also it would be nice to have an option (global would be fine to start) to enable/disable displaying the "*" on recently updated tiles.

Question: Is there a way to reorder items inside a folder?

Enter edit mode inside the folder and move them around as you see fit.

I'm failing to find a way to do that. On the main screen I use Android's back button to enter in edit mode, but on a folder the back button's behavior is to return to the main screen.

Clicking and holding on the folder gives some options, but not one to reorder tiles.

Swipe from the left edge of screen to the right

1 Like

@jpage4500 I know this is a delicate matter and I respect whichever decision you take.
The app you've developed is really awesome, and I believe with the help of the community it would get even better, while taking less of your own time maintaining it.
By making it open source you would still have the control over it, but other developers like me could open Pull Requests with fixes/features/improvements for you to approve, refuse or ask for changes according to your own ideas of code design, style, quality standards and etc.

Also it would be very unfortunate if for whatever reason you could not keep maintaining it and no one else had access to the code to keep it alive. I'm sure the entire community around it would be saddened.

I have a simple request, but as a developer I know it is impossible to implement all community requests, even if you like them.
Also, the forum format is far from ideal to keep track of issues/requests.
Maybe it will fall into oblivion here, or I could implement it myself, should you decide to go open source.

Now, the less important part, the request: Illuminance scale is an odd one, the closer it is to zero, the more important it is to have precision. So it would be great if it could be displayed with 2 decimals once it falls below the value of 10, and maybe 3 decimals once it is below 1.

3 Likes

Loving the dashboard - thanks @jpage4500 for all your work over the years on this.

I have a few Unifi cameras and can get them to show on VLC using the rtsp and different port. But in the dashboard it says "disconnected" has anyone managed to get them working OK in the dashboard?

Appreciate any tips

That's something that has been asked for before I believe. I can look into adding another option or 2.. right now there's just 2 options: tiled and stacked

I don't want to automatically show more items based on the tile size because some people might just want the icons to be larger (vs more showing).

2 Likes

Is there a device that (too) frequently updates which causes the "" to display? Today, the "" is displayed when the device (or any device in the folder) gets an update from the Hub. But, I'd like to tweak this logic a little so the app only shows it when a 'displayed' attribute is updated.. that should cut down on some chatty devices which are updating constantly but nothing is really changing on the dashboard.

I personally don't have any devices that update too frequently but I know some community drivers can push out updates for things that aren't really useful to the dashboard (like last time the device was polled)

Is there a device that (too) frequently updates which causes the "*" to display?*

I have improved the update frequency of the devices, it is not bothering me as much.
But in this case it is a folder with several devices inside, so when viewing the "closed" folder, it displays the "*" whenever any device inside it gets an update.

2 Likes