[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

I have a few Fire TV Stick devices and a NVidia Shield. I haven't tested the app on these in a long while but I'll make a note to do it and let you know.

If app pinning (aka: 'kiosk mode') doesn't work on these devices I can look into allowing the app to be a home screen launcher. I was doing that originally before discovering that app pinning logic which is a lot simpler to implement.

A couple issues I've noticed with firestick. Video, Radar, Image, and Web tiles are hard to navigate as the "curser/selector" highlight disappears when you cycle through them. Maybe they need some sort of border?

Agreed.. I noticed that but just didn't know if enough people were using Android TV to try and fix it. I'll see if it's something I can add

Setting device order doesn't work right, once you select something and move it there is no way to unselect it and do anything else other than revert back. Currently I'm just renaming things alphabetically to get what I want.

Let me try that and I can fix it necessary. I did implement a way to re-arrange tiles with just a remote control.. you put the app into 'edit' mode and then press and hold the OK button on a tile. Then, use the arrow keys to move that tile around. It's not perfect but I wanted something that would work to start.

Rader doesn't auto locate and manual doesn't work without a - minus sign. (Loaded my fire dashboard on the phone and used auto locate, than reloaded back to fire to make it work).

I'm guessing the 'get current location' logic I'm using doesn't work on Amazon devices.. maybe there's an alternative I can use. I'll look into it.

Anyways here's what it looks like right now, I actually don't use much of the smart home stuff which keeps clutter down on the firestick. Maybe I'll add things based on rooms folders.

That looks awesome!! Are those camera feeds just auto-updating images or are they using some kind of video stream? I've never had much luck using video streams (my RTSP camera works but it takes several seconds for the initial stream to start). I'd like to put more time into this but just haven't had that kind of time in a while...

That is the steam coming from my Blue Iris server. It's probably images but you really can't tell because I think they match the cameras fps anyways. I'm no expert but they look pretty much the same as they do on the computer or in the app.

TP fix the radar Joe just add a - minus sign, and a. period so people can manually enter it. Firestick doesn't have GPS, probably not possible to get location automatically.

Also as I mentioned above look at the troypoint app for firestick (all Android TV actually). They have an app to select customer launchers, under the rapid install section. Might save you a ton of work. Can't recall if you need the Downloader app to get troypoint, but that app is great too, it's allowed me to bookmark the top of this thread so I can easily install your apk when you update.

I've meant to ask you, does your dashboard actually need the Hubitat hub to work. I ask because I find this thing incredibly powerful and customizable even if it wasn't used with my Hubitat Hub. It makes me feel like I'm in control of my devices again, well maybe not in control, but I get to set my screens the way I want them, not the way Google, Amazon, etc want me to.

version 1.0.1539 (beta)

• simplify 'manage hidden devices' dialog
  • Android TV: draw highlighted border around all tiles
  • simplify logic for managing folder devices dialog
  • exclude battery updates for waking screen
  • play google photos device videos in fullscreen (with option to disable)
  • fix moving BACK button to end of devices in folder

Lots of changes in this one. Some of the bigger ones are:

• google photos device changes:

• video's will be auto played (with sound) when you click on a video to open it fullscreen
    • there's also an option to disable this feature too
    • NOTE: I found my Fire tablet 10" doesn't support the video format used by Google Photos so I'm going to try and figure out what (if anything) will work to play video here.. my phones all work great though
  • manage folder dialog now shows the currently selected devices on top

• manage hidden devices dialog ONLY shows hidden devices now. If you want to un-hide a device, select it and hit OK. I removed the complex logic of also being able to 'hide' devices via this dialog

Also lots of refactoring in this one too so please let me know if anything breaks. Besides making the app easier to update in the future, I'm also trying to cleanup the UI and the myriad of options to make sure everything is easy to figure out.. not done but making progress!

6 Likes

The gang and I appreciate your hard work Joe.
th

I looked at the code and it should allow for a minus sign. I tested on a Shield TV and it worked. I did read that some devices didn't properly show the minus sign on their keyboards so the Fire TV must be one of them. I imagine I can show the full keyboard for that device if I can detect it...

I've meant to ask you, does your dashboard actually need the Hubitat hub to work. I ask because I find this thing incredibly powerful and customizable even if it wasn't used with my Hubitat Hub. It makes me feel like I'm in control of my devices again, well maybe not in control, but I get to set my screens the way I want them, not the way Google, Amazon, etc want me to.

Well, I can't imagine anyone using it just as an app launcher.. I mean, there's probably some really nice launchers out there built for Android TV which would be a lot better

I just wanted to experiment with something to see how it'd look.. it's no where near ready but figured I'd ask if it would be a useful feature to add?

It'd be a setting which would show folders as tabs.. just another way to organize devices. I attached a short gif showing version 1.0 in action
hd-tabs

If I did this, I'd see if I can use icons instead of labels for the tab (or both).. allow re-arranging of tabs and some other stuff.. but, that should be enough to at least get an idea of what I'm doing.

3 Likes

I'm having a problem with tile sizes changing. I thought it was a kind of random thing until I notice that my motion tiles always revert to a 2x2 size every time they the change from no motion to motion. I'm using a 24 column grid with my motion tiles set to a size of 3x3. All of the motion tiles are in a folder. Its very repeatable on my system. This also may be related to the folder tiles them selves always reverting to a 2x2 size no mater what size I set them to. I think there are a few other size change things happening to me but I haven't been able to nail down when it happens.

1 Like

Support for Fire tablets would be valuable too. Have 4 laying around that could be put to good use.

I have method to set them up to allow access to Google Play.

I'm running this on multiple fire tablets.

Nice idea! It wouldn't work for me on my phone as I have too many rooms folders to work nicely at the top of a portrait oriented phone. But maybe if I start using tablets for this dashboard it would

That would be awesome Joe. Currently I group my devices by type in folders, it would be awesome to have tabs to than also have groups based on rooms as I'm noticing I really don't need whole house control 90% of the time. Nice clean tabs localized to a room would really clean things up for me. Plus it would give me a ton of things to do while at work making it pretty.

1 Like

I've been trying to get the screen saver to wake on device for a few days. I have never been able to get it working by using my Samsung motion detectors. But.... I found a work around. It does work on switches so I created a virtual switch in hubitat that turns off/on with the motion detector. The virtual switch will activate the wake on device on the dashboard. I'm guessing someplace along the line Hubitat treats motion detectors and switches differently????

FWIW, I had no issues using my Hue motion sensors to wake up the tablet.

Thank you @jpage4500! The wake on device feature made a really big difference for me. I have been playing with the app for the last year or two but that’s where it stopped for me. But now with the wake on device feature I have been able deploy a dashboard for the entrance of the house and the wife loves it! At the moment I’m using a door contact sensor and a motion sensor for waking the tablet.

No doubt you already have plans for improving this feature, but if I may suggest a feature request it would be to be able to select which attribute from the device that should wake the tablet. From my current motion sensor I also get temperature and illumination. It would be nice to be able to select to only wake the table when there is motion rather than illumination changing.

Yeah, that was my thought too.. I did prevent battery updates from waking the app in the last version. But, thinking more about it maybe it would be better to come up with a primary attribute for every device type (ie: motion for motion devices, contact for contact sensors and so on) and only changes to those would wake the app.

Selecting individual attributes would be more flexible/powerful but the UI for it could get complicated too

Hmm.. the only thing I can think of is maybe the device driver doesn't "push" out updates when motion is detected. When there's motion does the dashboard tile update right away?

If so, I can look at a device log. You'd have to first put the app into debug mode to capture more details - then try to reproduce the issue - then send me the logs (about -> support). I've got more details here.

I use it on 2 wall mounted Fire tablets. I did replace the Fire OS a long time ago but honestly it's not completely necessary anymore.. the only thing you get with a different OS is the ability to have the screen/device fully turn off at night and back on again in the morning.

For the Fire OS, the app is available on the Amazon Appstore (here) or you can just load the apk directly too (and update it from inside the app)

very strange.. I will say I've never tested with that many columns.. my phone is typically 3 in portrait and 6 in landscape. Anyway, I don't see how that should matter..

Did you happen to make a copy of any devices that are changing? I remember a similar issue a long time ago that was related to a device copy updating the original tile

Yes, the tiles I have the most trouble with are copies. In fact they are copies of the Samsung motion detectors that I'm having trouble with in the wake on device. The Samsung motion detectors first come up as temperature tiles. To make a motion tile, I have to copy the temperature tile and set the motion attribute.

Yes the motion tiles do update when motion is sensed.

And, the motion tiles change size when motion is detected. I set them to 3x3 and they change to 2x2 each time motion is sensed. If I change them to 3x3 again, they will just change back to 2x2 when they next sense motion. It happens every time.

Correct me if I'm wrong @jpage4500 but didn't you already do the leg work for selecting attributes. I think it's my hue outdoor motion sensor I've actually created 3 different devices each with is own attribute that the hue does. (Custom device type?)

That sounds good in theory, however, I believe my Hue motion sensors are picked up by default as temperature sensors…