[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Beast mode on the camera wake/sleep. Can't seem to update the app right now for some reason but when I do I can't wait to try it.

You have a link for a donate? We're all reaping the benefits of your work.

2 Likes

It's at the very bottom of the first post in this topic.

2 Likes

Was going to say 'very top post, politely added at the bottom of that text'.

I feel I'm one of the biggest supporters of this tool. It's up there with 'Echo Speaks' in my book! It solves so many of the problems of HE dashboards. I try monthly to send something - the least I can do for such a hard working app!

3 Likes

Ha. I've never even seen the first post in this thread.

Some coffee funds sent. Thanks again for the app and especially how involved you are in making it better.

1 Like

I've got a fire 10 7th gen running 5.6.9 that I got off woot that I haven't connected to wifi yet. I'd like to have this dashboard in my bedroom and the screen needs to be actually off, so I'd like to root it, or if the fire toolbox is enough to actually turn the display off I'd do that. Did you root or fire toolbox? Also would all these problems with screen saver go away if we just paid the 20 bucks to disable Amazon ad screen?

I didn't know you could pay to disable the lockscreen actually. Basically, if you could remove it completely (not just ads but when you turn on the screen it goes right to the homescreen) then that would work.

I rooted and replaced the OS with Lineage.. I did it about a year ago though so things may have changed. But, this is the place I'd start with. It looks like your tablet has the codename "suez" so this is probably the page to look at.. it's not trivial by any means but I don't remember having any major issues (but I have rooted devices in the past too so it does get easier)

Loaded a Raspberry Pi 3+b with Lineage 17.1 and tried the app. Initially it loaded, but now it keeps crashing. Anyone else use a Pi?

EDIT : Flashed and Booted with Emteria and the app runs well. But the resolution is not correct as the icons are too big despite setting them to the smallest size. Monitor is set at 1920 x 1080

I see the crash report but not sure how it happened.. must be something different with Android on Pi hardware. I should be able to fix it though

Any idea how to make the icons smaller?

I'll add more options.. I started some refactoring last week and it's been dragging on.. but, hopefully I can push out an update this upcoming week

1 Like

Joe can you push the kiosk mode update version to Amazon appstore. I can't pin an app on 7th gen tablet, hoping whatever you did with that kiosk mode works as it seems to basically be app pinning.

It is actually app pinning.. just sounded better to call it Kiosk mode since it's basically the same thing AFAIK.

I did do a little work before it making the app the default launcher but the app pinning solution required fewer end-user steps and also seemed pretty safe. Let me know if it doesn't work with the Fire OS (I don't have any tablets running Fire OS) and I can keep looking at the default launcher solution again too..

I just submitted the latest version that has Kiosk mode and the new motion detection logic for the screensaver. I've got several changes upcoming for this but at least the initial version should make it to the Amazon appstore here soon (:crossed_fingers:)

just a heads-up.. I've got a new version coming with lots of under-the-hood changes.. a few requested things but mostly under-the-hood stuff. This helps me keep the app easy to maintain - but as with any big changes it's possible there's a bug or 2 that I missed. I'm going to keep testing but I wanted to give everyone a heads-up. If you're on the beta channel and want to move to the release version it's pretty easy to do - just go to the beta link (in the first post) and unsubscribe. I made sure the latest production version is the same as the latest beta version as of today.

Alternatively, you might also want to do a backup of the configuration.. again, I'm not expecting ANY issues (never!!) but just want to err on the side of caution since there's lots of people using the app in lots of ways I haven't.

side-note - the app was updated on Amazon Appstore as well so they're all running the same version (first time in a while!)

4 Likes

How do you back up to hub? Mine always say it failed

Can you send me a device log?

I backup to the hub all the time from my tablets. My first question would be if you have a username/password set for the Hub. Anyway, the log might shed some light on the issue

Yes, I do. Don't worry, i remember reading somewhere now that it doesn't work if you have a password :man_facepalming:t3:. Been following the thread from the beginning but only just started to set it up, great work BTW :+1:t2:.

It might be possible to still support this.. I did add support for logging in even if you have a username/password setup on the hub.. I might be able to extend it to backing up configuration as well

2 Likes

version 1.0.1504 (beta)

• allow smaller tile sizes in grid
  • screensaver options / customize motion detection
  • lots of misc under the hood changes
  • minor UI changes

There's not too much to show with this change other than to say there's a lot of low-level changes so I'm hoping I was able to test everything and no issues will come up.

For the changes that are visible, I broke out the screensaver options into their own menu item

This option goes along with the "Stay Awake" option which has logic for keeping the screen ON always/never or during certain hours (ie: 8 AM - 10 PM). If the screensaver is set (not "Disabled"), it'll wait until the device is idle for the specified timeout period and then dim the screen as much as possible.

I added some configuration for the 'wake on motion' option which feed directly into the library I'm using to do this. I plan to experiment with it on my Fire tablets.

I also added a "test screensaver" option which should be helpful testing out those values without having to wait for the timeout period.

Lastly, I will still look at adding a date/time and maybe showing images in the screensaver. I'll have to also put in a way to adjust how dim you want the screen to be (right now it's as dim as I can make it so a date/time wouldn't even be visible)

side-note -- I REALLY plan on simplifying all of the menu options in the near future.. there's a lot of them and I'd like to make things easier to find/understand.

2 Likes

The latest build changes how many columns you can have in the 'grid'.. instead of being a fixed limit it basically lets you go until a tile size limit.. so the number of columns (ie: tile size) will depend on the resolution of the device. Let me know if that does the trick!

1 Like