[RELEASE] GE Z-Wave Plus Motion Switch Component Driver

All I can suggest is to:

1. Pair the device
  2. Configure parameters from device details page and click save
  3. Wait 30s
  4. Make sure Debug logging is on for the device
  5. Open log window (bub log, not device events)
  6. Make motion and see if anything shows up in the log. If it does, then the device is sending motion events and we look at the logs. If not, then it is almost certainly a device or mesh issue.
1 Like

Thank you for the driver! It worked for me without any issues. Great work!

Has anyone successfully configured this switch with no load? effectively turning it into an in-wall motion detector for smart bulbs? It’s not the product I would have chose for this use case but it is the device I have.

Sure. It does not need a load - just ground, neutral, and hot. That is how the ones on my dev hub are setup.

1 Like

And put it in manual mode. If you use @JasonJoel’s component driver (as I do), the motion sensor appears as its own device.

1 Like

Is there a way to make this work as a motion switch, unless the switch has been physically turned on? When I was on ST, I had a driver that would change the mode to manual if the physical on switch was pushed, and would set the mode back to occupancy if the physical switch was turned off. It ran in webCoRE, and was slow and didn’t always work because of the delay being on the cloud. I haven’t tried it in webCoRE on Hubitat, just using rule machine, but I don’t see the option to change its mode. I’d like it to work as a normal motion switch most of the time, but when someone uses the shower, it doesn’t see any motion and turns the light off.

If the switch is reporting physical on and off events, then you can change the mode enroll machine. Just trigger the occupancy or manual command.

You first have to change the driver type from the built-in driver to @JasonJoel’s driver given in the first post in this thread. Then, it’s rather straightforward to use Rule Machine (custom action) to do what you want. I’ve never used webCoRE, but there is a community version for Hubitat, and what you want should be possible there, too, if you switch drivers to the one of this thread.

I’ve got his driver installed. If I remember right, I had to trigger it by button push instead of on/off, since the motion triggers it on. I set it up to be triggered by Button 1 & 2, but the switch doesn’t seem to register button pushes. Any idea how to configure button pushes?

Understand that I’m not using it the way you are. I show below the logs for one of my 26931 switches in Manual mode using @JasonJoel’s component driver and the built-in Motion Lighting app. Note that (physical) on and off presses of the switch are logged.

Here is the event log for the child component switch. Note that it is registering physical button presses (my wife likes to turn off the light manually as she leaves the bathroom rather than wait for the delayed off after motion ceases) and digital commands from the hub, so your strategy should work. I would leave it in Manual mode, do all your logic from Rule Machine.

Hi Jason --

Apologies if I missed this in your helpful thread above, but I have a 26931 and would like to reprogram the buttons so that it mimics our old (dumb) single button switches with which a button press toggled the switch status. So we'd like either the up or down button to toggle on/off status. Using your component driver, I haven't found a way to disassociate the virtual switch (which controls the light) from the physical buttons. When I set the switch to "toggle" I wound up with an infinite loop with the light switching on and off repeatedly.

Is what I'm asking for feasible, or are the physical buttons unable to be delinked from the virtual switch?

Thanks,

Adam

I don't think you can do that with this device. The local button presses always turn the device on/off. They can be reversed (up=off, down=on instead of the other way around), but not disabled/overwritten completely.

To do something like that you would really need a device that has support for smart bulbs, and can disable the physical buttons controlling load, and then you could do exactly whjat you want in an RM rule or custom driver in hubitat.

Just a thought - and I did not test this.

If your device is reporting PHYSICAL on/off correctly, then you should be able to do this with an RM rule.

You can't do it with the switch state, as you saw it will get in a loop. But if physical vs digitial on/off are working correctly you can use that as physical on/off are supposed to only happen
when a button is physically pressed.

Like this:

1 Like

Thanks Jason! I will give it a shot when I have some time next week. I appreciate your creative thinking here!

Adam

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.