[RELEASE] GE Z-Wave Plus Motion Dimmer Component Driver

Just wanted to thank you. This driver completely fixed my least favorite switch.

1 Like

Clearly, a very LITTLE bit! :slight_smile:

I always appreciate the great work you do on your drivers!

Had some extra alone time since the in-laws are visiting. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for this! My bathroom motion dimmer was flickering after a few seconds of sensing motion and turning on. I wanted a way to set a top dimmer level to and see if that reduced the flicker. This works perfectly and I really like the improved level of settings and control. Former Wink owner with A LOT of GE/Jasco devices.

I just ran into an interesting issue and I am wondering if its a symptom of the hardware or the driver.

I have it set to manual mode and all automation done in Hubitat as follows:
If it detects motion, then then on light. Turn off light after 6 mins if no motion is detected. This works fine unless I turn off the light manually. The motion sensor automatically goes to "inactive" when the lights are manually turned off, Then when I walk away from the sensor it now detects motion as being active and turns the lights back on immediately. Is there any way around this?

I never noticed that before, as I rarely touch the switches, but mine do that too.

I'm away from the house this week, but I'll take a look and see if there's is anything I can do about that in the driver or not.

1 Like

I have noticed the same with the switch version. It gives you about 5 seconds to escape. It would be nice if the reset option would have an effect here.

Thank you so much for contributing this driver! Question... any chance of adding Rule Machine's "Button Device" functionality? I would really like to take the up button and down button clicks and holds and releases to trigger turning on Hue lights. My Inovelli switches can do this (albeit the wording for up and down button presses is cryptic... up is "button 1 pushed" and down is "button 1 held"... makes no sense...) But still, it works...

Any changes?

These devices don't expose the button presses in the same way as newer scene control based devices do, so not likely.

I fooled around with a couple of GE Enbrighten switches just now.

You probably know, up once=button 1, down once=button2, up twice=button 3, and so on up to 6.

I was able to toggle or switch on all buttons.
I could only do hold and release on buttons 1 and 2. I think it does turn on to certain level here too, but I didn't try that.

I found recently the toggle function can be handy. In my garage I made one switch do this: button 1=turn on overhead lighting; toggle button 3=workbench light; toggle button 4=flourescent tube work lighting; button 2=turn all lights off

edit: Sorry, I think I'm way off base. Didn't realize this was about the motion switch.

Right. The newer switch/dimmers use scene control, which allows for easy exposure of buttons and hold status (at least on button 1 and 2 - as there are only 2 physical buttons).

The motion switch/dimmer are older and do not expose presses the same way.

2 Likes

I've gotten around this using a Rule Machine rule.

Physical Off is trigger.

Pause Rule (motion trigger rule for lights)
Turn off lights (this prevents random instances where motion turns light back on before rule is paused)
Wait 1 minute (or however long you want to have to exit)
Resume Motion Rule

For anyone else stumbling across this driver it has been superseded by another one written by the same author @JasonJoel. Sorry I can’t post links here apparently…

Jason- why did you make an entirely new driver instead of just a “v2.0” of this one or something? I installed this old driver on my switch and it wasn’t able to effectively control the light level. Can you put in the OP above a link to the new driver for clarity?

This driver is not superseded. In fact, this one is the one I use every day for my 26933 motion dimmers...

I support 2 different drivers for the motion dimmer:

• One 'all-in-one' in which the motion and dimmer are both in one device
  • This one, where the motion sensor and dimmer are broken apart into two different child devices

There is no real functional difference, just different approach to working with/exposing the features of this multi-function device. Purely a personal preference thing.

Both drivers should work on the 26933 Motion Dimmer device. If it does not, make sure you set/save preferences after switching to the driver, then wait 60s and then click CONFIGURE. If it still doesn't work after that, please turn on debug logging, repeat whatever is not working, and post the issue in the respective thread.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I only had to mess with it one time to generate the files. Maybe post over on the HPM thread. Once the file is generated I only have to update my apps version number in the file and app to get it to update in HPM.