[RELEASE] GE Z-Wave Plus Motion Dimmer Component Driver

That makes sense. Just note that if you ever put the device in OCCUPANCY or VACANCY mode it will break that RM and motion lighting rules.

Lol. The interesting thing about that is technically the driver says i am in occupancy mode right now. It just doesn't work that way.

Never seen that before. :man_shrugging:

Unless maybe you have the light timeout set to disabled. Can't say I've tested that in a very long time.

I just ordered a Hubitat. I'll be moving over from Smartthings. I have a couple of GE motion dimmers and was wondering if it's possible (or what the best practice is) to do the following:

At night:

• Automatically turn on to 25% based on motion
  • Manually pressing On = 100% brightness
  • Auto-Off after 2 minutes

During Day:

• Automatically turn on to 100% based on motion
  • Auto-Off after 15 minutes

I don't actually do any of my logic/rules in Hubitat, so I might not be the best one to ask.

That said, in general the way I would do it (not the only, or necessarily even the best way though):

Night

1. Rule Machine rule
    a. Trigger = mode change to 'night'
    b. Change device mode to MANUAL mode
  2. Rule Machine Rule
    a. Trigger = motion
    b. If mode=night
    c. Cancel delayed action
    d. setLevel=25%
    e. light off, delayed 02:00 (cancellable)
  3. Rule Machine Rule
    a. Trigger = physical on
    b. Cancel delayed actions
    c. set level=99%
    d. light off, delayed 02:00 (cancellable)

Day

1. Rule Machine Rule
    a. Trigger = mode change to 'not night'
    b. Change device mode to OCCUPANCY mode
    c. set light timeout to 15m
1 Like

Try Lights On Motion Plus. I think it can do all this for you in the easiest way possible. There is also Rule Machine, and possibly the built-in (stock app) Motion Lighting that might be able to handle this. I don't have any of these motion switches, so I can't say for sure what method is best.

1 Like

Lots of ways to do almost anything. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing to think about as well is which driver to use. This one by @JasonJoel is really good, but as i understand it doesn't or didn't a little while ago does recognise physical vs digital switch changes. Basically weather the switch changes state based on if the button is pushed or activated by a app rule.

Good point. When in occupancy mode you can't tell the difference between physical on from the switch and motion turning it on - both are reported identically from the device. No driver can distinguish between those two conditions, it is a device limitation.

In manual mode what I listed above would probably work though as the only on events would be physical from the switch or digital (hub initiated, which do show up as type=digital).

Is there a way to get the motion sensor exposed to Alexa?

I've tried using the built in Alexa Skill and it shows up as a light.

I wouldn't know, as I don't use Alexa.

Yes, there is. Change to Jason Bottjen’s (@JasonJoel’s) Component driver for the Smart Motion Switch/Dimmer, which splits the GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer into two logically separate devices, namely, a Motion Sensor and a Switch/Dimmer. Very elegant, makes writing Rules very easy. And, they can be installed/updated using Hubitat Package Manager (“HPM”).

While I don’t use the motion sensor in Alexa, I tried it just now for you, and it correctly exposes the motion sensor as a motion sensor to Alexa. Make sure you are using the Component drivers. Here is one of our several using Jason Bottjen’s Component drivers for switches/dimmers:

Here is the Hubitat side:

and here is the Alexa side:

Here are the component drivers:

Learn something new every day I guess. LOL

Makers sense that would possibly match up better to google/alexa skills though.

2 Likes

Rule Machine Rule
a. Trigger = motion
b. If mode=night
c. Cancel delayed action
d. setLevel=25%
e. light off, delayed 02:00 (cancellable)
Rule Machine Rule
a. Trigger = physical on
b. Cancel delayed actions
c. set level=99%
d. light off, delayed 02:00 (cancellable)

This isn't working for me. The device won't register a "physical on" if it is already on. In Smartthings there was a separate "button" device that would register button pushes regardless of the switch state. The problem is it would register ALL button pushes the same (on or off). If there was a way to separate out on or off button pushes regardless of switch state, it would be perfect.

I'll take a look when I get a chance.

I thought the driver did register a physical ON or physical OFF on the hub every time the button was physically pressed, regardless of current switch state. But maybe that got lost in one of the revisions (either intentionally or unintentionally), or maybe I did it differently on the component version versus the non-component version. Will have to look.

I looked, and it won't do duplicate on/off events due to a previous code update/streamlining I made. I know why I did it the way I did, but obviously I will have to do it differently.

I'll see about getting that fixed in an upcoming release. Shouldn't be too hard.

1 Like
  • 1.3.6 (06/09/2021) - Attempt to allow multiple physical button presses registering

NOTE: On my dev dimmer/dev hub I would sometimes see the ON event happen 2x within a few hundred ms of each other.

Might be just my switch/dev mesh repeating some packets (I didn't have time to sniff the traffic), but be aware of this possibility in your logic as rapid-rife triggering of rules can do unexpected things/cause unexpected loading.

1 Like

This is now working for me, but it does not allow me to manually adjust the dimmer setting. Any manual dimmer adjustment will initiate the rule triggered by the "Physical On" and will reset the level to 99%.

That seems to be exactly what you asked the Rule to do.

It is. But what he wants is that no physical on event is made if you changed the dimmer level physically at the switch.

The device always sends the same messages, regardless if you tap it for on/off or dim it. So it is hard to differentiate.

The device also sends a physical on if in occupancy mode and motion turns it on.

I guess maybe one could store the previous level, then compare the new level vs old level and toss the physical on event if level changed.

Wouldn't help when the device is in occupancy mode, but may go your specific situation.

I'll think about it. Won't be this week though - too busy.