[RELEASE] GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Switch Driver

Welcome to the community. Those older z-wave (non plus) switches/dimmers do not report physical events. SmartThings got around this issue by polling them frequently. If you need faster status updates from them, there is a built-in app called Z-wave Poller you can install. Select only the switches you need and you'll be good to go. Just remember, this polling adds a great deal of network traffic, so choose wisely...or replace them with z-wave plus switches.:wink:

Thanks a lot, it was very helpful.

I don't see any parameter that would let me configure the polling interval inside zwave poller app. Was it removed in the recent versions or am I looking at the wrong place?

My apologies. there isn't a config for frequency. Editing my earlier post.

Thanks.
Empirically, it seems to poll about every 3 seconds.

@JasonJoel Will these drivers work on the plugin versions of the GE/Jasco switches? I have pretty much all GE/Jasco outlets, switches, dimmers and a few plugin switches and a plugin dimmer... All were just recently purchased and all plus...

Good question, actually. I have a few of the plugin modules too, but have never tried the driver on them.

The driver might work on them, but I'm not sure there is any good technical reason to use this driver versus the in-box driver on those devices.

Unless you have a specific use case/need that the in-box driver doesn't cover?

EDIT: I took a peek at the 14282 modules I have, and this driver would probably work on them (for the most part - things like LED and paddle inversion don't apply obviously). But again, it doesn't really buy you anything over the in-box driver, unless you REALLY need double tap capability on the tiny button on the module. :smile:

I just like uniformity... :joy:

But I have another question... I just applied your dimmer driver to my in-wall dimmers and it didn't work... Got this error code...

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object on line 310 (on)

Had to switch back to the generic driver and reconfigure... :neutral_face:

What did I do wrong? They are brand new GE/Jasco plus dimmers...

Did you hit configure on the device details page after switching drivers? You should always hit configure anytime you change from one driver to another.

I usually switch drivers, adjust preferences (if needed) and hit save, wait at least one minute, hit configure, wait a few minutes, hit refresh.

if it does not work then then it is probably a bug in the driver.

What you described a sound like a bug though. But only one that would be there until the first time you set a level. if you settle level once, I would expect that error to go away.

I'll take a look at the code later this week when I have time, though. Probably something easy to fix.

Ok, I'll try to set a level and go from there... Interestingly it appears to work fine on the plugin dimmer... I'll play around a bit with it...

EDIT: Not working on the plugin dimmer either... The dashboard and device show on/off etc, but its not actually controlling the device... The switch driver is working on both hard wired and plugin switches... :slight_smile:

Also, here is the fingerprint from my dimmer... Just to make sure is is compatible,,,

deviceType: 18756
inClusters: 0x5E,0x56,0x86,0x72,0x5A,0x85,0x59,0x73,0x26,0x27,0x70,0x2C,0x2B,0x7A
deviceId: 12344
MSR: 0063-4944-3038
manufacturer: 99

EDIT: Its not working on the plugin dimmer either... :frowning:

The regular switch driver is working great though.

Weird. I'll try to take a look at the hardwired dimmer later this week. I don't have time to look at the plugin devices right now.

Do you know the model of your in-wall dimmer?

They are 14294-3's...

OK. The error you had is that one of the preference settings variables was not set. Are you POSITIVE that after switching to the driver you set each of the Preference settings and then hit Save Preferences?

Because I can't think of any way that error can happen if that has been done...

Yes, I switched the driver and hit save for the device... Then hit configure, and then hit save on the preferences...

Were there values in each of the Preference setting slots before you hit Save Preferences (not Save Device)?

I went back and removed the driver, wiped out the settings, and re-added it to a few... I can't get that error to happen on my end. :confused:

I don't recall... I've been moving all my switches and outlets to your driver... I left the dimmers alone... I will try one now and let you know

Oops... Maybe I was looking at the wrong driver (I was looking at the motion dimmer driver - sorry about that!!!).

Which driver gave you the line 310 error above? The "GE Z-Wave Plus Dimmer" driver?

Yes, the regular dimmer driver... Not working for either the wall mount or the plugin GE dimmer...

OK. in that case I would need you to use the driver again. Make sure debug logging is on. Do the level change, and show me what is in the log.

It should have a line such as:
"setLevel(xxx, yyy)"

after you try to change the level.