[RELEASE] GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Switch Driver

Doh.... Reading comprehension > Me

Adding double tap to the 14294 driver shouldn't be hard. The tedious part is adding all of the other junk a dimmer comes with - specifically digital dimmer steps/levels and physical dimmer steps/levels.

I'll take a look at it. And see if I can get one out that at least does the doubletap. That part should be the same as the 14291 switch (I think),.

So looking at the 14291, I am a bit confused because it appears (at least via the link below) that it is a simple on/off switch and not a dimmer? Am I missing something? Why would a simple on/off need a double tap feature?

Good question.

And the answer: to control OTHER things!!! You're right that with a switch a double tap really can't do anything useful on the switch itself - a switch is on or off...

But, with the double tap you could turn on lamps that are on other zwave/zigbee outlets/appliance modules across the room, turn on/off another room's lights, turn on/off all lights in the house at once, etc.etc.

The double tap can be used as a trigger for anything you want - it doesn't have to have anything to do with lights at all.

The possibilities are endless, actually.

Ah...makes perfect sense. Thank you sir!

I will closely monitor this thread for progress on the 14294 Jason and again, thank you so much for the insight!

Here you go. Should be in very good shape. I tested every button, and on/off/level setting - both from HE and the physical switch.

If you run into any issues, let me know! I've seen once ot twice where the level would update while it is dimming on/off (it isn't supposed to do that, obviously, or you lose your previous level value). I extended the delays, and that seemed to fix it - but that's something to look for.

Thank for this driver, I have now my kitchen ceiling lights switch controlling my cabinets lights!

1 Like

Thank you Jason,
Unfortunately, I am locked out of my hubitat for some reason.
I have been trying since my last post to find a way to log in, but it will not accept my username or password. Trying to reset the password returns : "The entered user does not exist,Please enter a correct User Name before attempting a Password recovery."

I emailed tech support hours ago and have yet to receive a reply.

I will dive into this once I can get in to my system.

The only other thing I tried to do was link google home through my Android phone.... From that point on, I have been locked out.

@JasonJoelOld

Thanks for the code. I just loaded it on my two GE dimmers and it works as expected.

One bug on line 276 of the ' GE-Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer' driver. Forgot the () on the toInteger in the setLevel method.

Thanks for that! I fixed that, and made a few other improvements to the event creation in the driver. Update on Github.

Argh, that's annoying!!! Good luck getting that resolved.

And no worries on the code, I was home sick so thought I would do something useful / cross something off my to-do list. It'll be waiting for you when you get back in your hub. :smile:

@JasonJoelOld With a GE Double Tap switch can I control an extra light with the double tap? Example Main switch is set for the Kitchen ceiling light, Can I use the double tap switch to control another Light without the main light coming on? It would be very useful to be able to control two light individual on/off? Thanks

Sure can. Double tap does not affect the main switch load at all. Think of it as a standalone z-wave button controller.

So you could make an RM trigger to turn on the lamp on with double tap up, and another RM trigger to turn the lamp off off with double tap down. And it wouldn't do anything to the lights wired to the switch.

Man, I have been through a bit of a nightmare trying to get my account squared away but I am back in the game it would seem.

I am going to try and upload your driver right now and see if I can make it work.

On the off chance that I screw something up, is there an easy way to get back to zero? i.e replace the oem driver?

Luckily user drivers never replace the built-in drivers.

So if it doesn't work for you just change the device type back to the same one that was before you changed. Probably generic smart Z-Wave dimmer.

It looks like Rule Machine needs the device drivers to implement flash to be able to use flash in a rule. There's no emulated flash functionality. I understand that I can make a virtual device that handles flashing but no thanks. I don't want 25 extra devices or any extra devices for that matter.

I was going to add the flash command to your driver but I was looking around for how the OOB driver handled it and I can't find the out of the box driver. Does the Hubitat group publish their drivers like ST did? There are only a few handful of samples in their github. I would like to see if they had an intelligent way to do it other than ramping up brightness and scheduling something X ms later to ramp it down. Does this switch support it in hardware somehow?

Hubitat does not publish the in box drivers.

FYI - Updated to 1.7.

1 Like

What's the best way to program the double tap features?

Typically you would use it as the trigger or condition in an RM rule, and then the actions of the rule would be whatever you are trying to do - turn on other lights, set brightness levels, whatever.

2 Likes