[RELEASE] GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Driver

Wow - Thank you! Compared to another light in the same room, it's so much faster to ramp up and down. This is something I was looking to do forever on the Wink platform and even bought a separate controller / remote to try to do this and could never get it to work.

Is there an explanation on the Z-Wave Dimming Steps and Z-Wave Dimming Duration (in 10ms increments)? I can play around with the numbers but would like to understand why setting a higher Dimming Step (and whats the limit?) makes it ramp faster than the default of '1'. If I could make the Dimmer similar to the 'Instant On' that a normal Switch has, that would be ideal.

I need to spend some time scouring through the forums and documentation as I'm sure this has been answered before but I absolutely appreciate you providing a direct answer.

I haven’t found any explanation for the z-wave commands, but I haven’t seriously looked. I know that setting the z-wave dimming steps to a higher number will make it dim faster from the app, just like setting physical dimming steps higher makes a physical change at the switch dim faster. You can try plugging in a 1 for duration and see if it’s the instant on are seeking. It will make it a challenge to dim the light, since it will be transitioning so fast. That is why I settled on just changing the steps to 2.

The parameters are described here: Advanced Configuration

1 Like

How this driver allow load to always be hot, yet allow the on and off position single tap be assigned scenes in hubitat to control hue bulbs?

It doesn't. Single tap up or down turns the load on and off. Double tap up/down can control external items without changing the device load though.

Hello...Any chance that this custom driver could add the flash functionality that the default driver provides? Thank You.

Hi, @JasonJoel. Thank you for having developed such great drivers for these devices and made them available to the community!

In my setup, I’ve noticed over the past couple days that the latest Hubitat platform update from a few days ago seems to have broken the functionality of the association groups in the latest versions of your drivers for the in-wall dimmer and in-wall switch.

I’ve tried removing the associations, saving the preferences, adding the associations back, and hitting “Configure”, but none of the associated devices seem to be getting any commands from my dimmers/switches anymore (failures are silent—nothing in the logs, even with all logging enabled).

I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts on this when you have time. Thanks!

That's odd.

I won't upgrade to the 2.1.7 release until the first few hotfixes come out, so don't really have a way to look into that yet. After I get on 2.1.7 (maybe next week?) I'll take a look though.

1 Like

I’m using your driver and my associations are working on 2.1.7. I don’t hit configure after saving associations; just save preferences. I thought hitting configure after setting associations would remove them.

I think hitting configure does wipe out associations. I would have to look (am at work right now) to be sure though.

I know switching drivers and hitting configure does for sure.

I would expect so.

Most zwave drivers force the association on assoc group 1 to the hub in the configure routine. It's a very good practice.

Not all of them change/wipe out other association groups, though. Although many/most do.

1 Like

This may be a bug in 2.1.7 that was identified earlier today. The bug could show up on the device receiving the association command - depending on how the driver was written for the device receiving the command from the master.

If the receiving device is using one of my drivers, I think it should still work. If the receiving device is using an in-box driver, it might not work (until the fix mentioned below is released).

I expect Hubitat will release a fix for this in one of the next hotfixes.

all the built in drivers have the explicit command class version options set

1 Like

Thanks for this driver. Used it in ST and using it now.

When I turn my GE switch on or change its level using associations, my GE switches respond but don't report their new status to the Hub. I also have Inovelli switches and those work fine.

BTW, I've tried using association between 2 GE switches and run into the same issue. Please any idea how to get this fixed?

Thanks

There isn't a fix for this, this is one of the issues with device to device associations, the hub is not notified of the changes.
It's also one of the reasons that we don't provide any interfaces to create or manage device to device associations...

1 Like

That is 100% device dependent. Some send a report when changed via association, some don't. Which is also a fine reason to not include it in the driver - inconsistent behavior across manufacturers.

Heck, I even have one device that sends both a basicset AND a basic report when changed via association. Go figure?

Did they report status prior to 2.1.7, or have the associated devices never updated status?

No idea. However, in ST, I'm pretty positive these GE switches reported their status to the hub. I used association wherever possible because of the speed and ST always had the correct status of my GE switches. Wonder if that's something I can attempt to change in this device driver.

Mike is right. On the Jasco devices I've tested today, the secondary does not send an event to the hub when changed. No easy way around this, I'm afraid.

I just tested it, and you get nada on the hub from the associated device when its master triggers it. No event generated = nothing you can do in the driver to fix it.

Technically, you could probably make an APP that every time the master device event is triggered (on/off or doubletap up/down depending if it is assoc group 2 or 3) look at the defined associations in the master device, figure out what devices those are in hubitat based on the listed IDs, and issue a refresh on them...

That's certainly outside of the scope of anything I'm going to do, though.

This is a perfect situation for Switch Bindings. No need to do the association through Z-wave.

Simply link the two in this app and they will always mirror each other. You can change the level or switch from either and they will both match each other. it's not instantaneous but it's pretty darn close.