[RELEASE] GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Driver

My sincerest apologies. I updated the driver yesterday but didn't add a button app until today. This morning the Zigbee was offline and I ended up rebooting and, unfortunately, restoring a backup from yesterday. All good now. Thanks again.

1 Like

By chance does this new version cover the newer firmware yet?

Nope, I haven't had any time to look at that.

Without a device in hand, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to either. It is annoying that I've had no luck getting one of the new firmware models. I tried 3 times ordering from 3 different places. :frowning:

What did you use to integrate this?

I bought all mine from Lowes off the shelf... I should have ordered them online like the rest of my switches, but for some reason I purchased the dimmers in the store... I'm not advocating buying one from Lowes... :sweat_smile: Just letting you know where mine came from..

Also, I tried contacting Jasco to see about getting the firmware files and they blew me off... I'm beginning to understand why a lot of folks don't like them... Again, I went with them originally because of IRIS (again Lowes) so I didn't want all my stuff to be mismatched...

Any chance I could pull the firmware off the device directly?

Hi! I'm new to Hubitat and just trying to begin the process of migrating from SmartThings—please excuse if this is a silly question.

I have a bunch of the GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmers (toggle style, not paddle style), and I have successfully moved the first one from SmartThings to my Hubitat Elevation. I have imported the latest version of the driver from this thread and assigned it to the switch. I can control the switch successfully from the local web interface, but when I manually turn the switch on/off or double-tap, I don't get any logging, events, state changes, etc. in Hubitat. So Hubitat is getting out of sync with respect to any manual use of the switch, and the only way to sync up again is to hit refresh in the web interface.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? I have debug logging enabled in the driver, and I'm not getting any log entries whatsoever when the switch is turned on/off or double-tapped. No prior issues on SmartThings with any of my Jasco Dimmer Toggles, so this seems to be some sort of issue within the Hubitat system or the driver?

Many thanks!

When you say "moved" do you mean that you used the "Exclusion" process on ST, then included it in your HE z-wave network?

Yes, by “moved”, I mean that I turned off ST Hub (to preserve ghost device for now in ST), factory-reset the switch with 3x up and 3x down, excluded via Hubitat, and then included via Hubitat.

I should also add that I followed a similar procedure for an Aeotec Smart Switch (plug), and it works fine in Hubitat. Also just retried factory-resetting the Jasco toggle, excluding via Hubitat, and including again, but still same problem.

I seem to have solved my issue by excluding again from Hubitat, doing another factory reset (quickly 3x up and 3x down), and re-including from Hubitat. Seems to be something with the switches when trying to leave one hub and join another—exact same issue and same resolution procedure for a second one of these. Hope that is helpful for someone else in the same boat!

1 Like

The only other thing I was going to add is that some z-wave devices only "report" back to the controller with z-wave ID 1. Which means if you had an existing z-wave mesh that you added a new controller to, that controller won't get the reports... it sounds like that's not your case, but figured I'd also add that in for anyone else doing troubleshooting.

Just getting started with Hubitat, and moving my GE Dimmer switches over from SmartThings. I am using is driver because I need the double-tap functionality, as well. Try as I will, try as I might, i cannot get OFF to work. OFF simply does nothing when pressed from the devices screen. ON works, Set level works. OFF Does not. What might I be doing wrong??

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:29.239 pm [debug]Parse returned null for zw device: 21, command: 2603, payload: 00 , isMulticast: false

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:29.236 pm [info]M B Center Light was turned off [digital]

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:29.224 pm [debug]---SwitchMultilevelReport V3--- M B Center Light sent SwitchMultilevelReport(value:0)

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:29.221 pm [debug]cmd: SwitchMultilevelReport(value:0)

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:29.214 pm [debug]parse() >> zwave.parse(zw device: 21, command: 2603, payload: 00 , isMulticast: false)

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:26.030 pm [debug]setLevel(value, duration) >> value: 0, duration: 0, delay: 3000

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:26.026 pm [debug]setLevel(0, 0)

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:26.021 pm [debug]Turn device OFF

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:20.531 pm [debug]Parse returned null for zw device: 21, command: 2603, payload: 63 , isMulticast: false

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:20.521 pm [info]M B Center Light is 99%

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:20.515 pm [debug]---SwitchMultilevelReport V3--- M B Center Light sent SwitchMultilevelReport(value:99)

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:20.512 pm [debug]cmd: SwitchMultilevelReport(value:99)

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:20.497 pm [debug]parse() >> zwave.parse(zw device: 21, command: 2603, payload: 63 , isMulticast: false)

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:19.289 pm [debug]setLevel(value, duration) >> value: 99, duration: 0, delay: 1000

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:19.286 pm [debug]setLevel(99, 0)

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:19.283 pm [debug]state.level is 99

[dev:85]2019-08-24 01:32:19.278 pm [debug]Turn device ON

I use this driver on 30+ dimmers, and they work fine on all of mine. See my suggestions in the other thread - maybe it is some weird 1st time initialization issue.

If you are getting the report back from the device, like the device shows, then it received the off command. So no clue why it is not shutting off.

First, Thanks for your work to create and maintain these drivers for the Jasco products!

I switched to this driver today for a 14294 GE branded dimmer that I've had since late 2017. Everything seems to work as expected, except for one unusual thing... I see doubletap being passed in the logs for the lower paddle, but not for the upper paddle?

When I doubletap down, I get:

[dev:71]2019-08-24 18:05:58.391 [debug]Parse returned [[name:doubleTapped, value:2, descriptionText:Bedroom Light had Doubletap down (button 2) [physical], type:physical, isStateChange:true]]

[dev:71]2019-08-24 18:05:58.387 [info]Bedroom Light had Doubletap down (button 2) [physical]

[dev:71]2019-08-24 18:05:58.384 [debug]Double Down Triggered

[dev:71]2019-08-24 18:05:58.381 [debug]---BASIC SET V1--- Bedroom Light sent BasicSet(value:0)

[dev:71]2019-08-24 18:05:58.377 [debug]cmd: BasicSet(value:0)

[dev:71]2019-08-24 18:05:58.369 [debug]parse() >> zwave.parse(zw device: 04, command: 2001, payload: 00 , isMulticast: false)

--- Live Log Started, waiting for events ---

When I doubletap up, I get nothing - even with debug logging enabled.

Not a show stopper for me, but I was wondering if this was an issue that anyone else had encountered? Any ideas for how to troubleshoot it?

I did send configure() and then eventually refresh() after changing the driver for this device. (Un)fortunately, this is the only one of this particular device in my network, so I can't compare to see if this is a problem specific to this one device.

One other odd thing. Although singletap up turned the light on 100% and singletap down ramped back off as usual, I couldn't get "on" from the device page to do anything until I set level to 100% on the device page. Seems like that was a one-time deal that needed to be set...

Don't know. I re-tested and both doubletap up and down are reporting events on my GE 14294 dimmers. Also tested both ON and OFF, both worked fine on my devices.

Maybe you have a zwave mesh issue and some of the commands aren't actually making it to/from the device?

As a carryover from a discussion in another thread... To make OFF work correctly on newer firmware devices when using the v2.0.0 of this driver:

1. Comment out line 299 ( setLevel(0, 0)).

Add two new lines below it:

1. sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off", descriptionText: "$device.displayName was turned off [digital]", type: "digital", isStateChange: true)

2. delayBetween ([zwave.basicV1.basicSet(value: 0x00).format(), zwave.basicV1.basicGet().format()], 1000)

This has a couple of goofy side effects on reporting, so I should take a few minutes and do this properly. I should have time over the 3 day weekend.

Let me know if the above does not work though. Works fine on my devices - just tested it.

OK I made the change....

Definitely fixed the issue, which lets me move forward.

The other thing that would be a reason to do both on and off with basic commands, is the switch should fade on and off, not jump directly to it, which is what setLevel does. We could possibly make this a preference in the driver, in case someone prefers the jumping/immediate on/off.

Thanks for your help --- this definitely lets me move forward, and I will be happy to help/program/test as needed.

Yeah, I used to do it with basic commands, and there was a specific reason I changed it. It was to work around some weird quirk in the Jasco/GE firmware... For the life of me I can't remember exactly what the reason was now though... I want to say it had something to do with doubletap... But whatever.

OK, new version posted (FYI @bjlled ) . I only did limited testing, but it worked as expected for me, including the reporting.

• 2.1.0 (08/28/2019) - Changed ON and OFF commands back to using basicSet instead of multilevelset

Hi JasonJoel
Is the double tap feature a hardware dependant feature or implemented on you driver?

I would like to ask you (or the others of course) if there is any way to implement that feature on a GE/Jasco Zigbee Dimmer (45857)?

Modifying your driver can be possible? sorry maybe a dummy question

Double tap as implemented on these devices requires both hardware support and driver support.

EDIT: I have no idea if the zigbee version supports double tap. I only maintain drivers for the zwave versions. Sorry, I can't help you here.