[RELEASE] Fully Kiosk Browser Controller

Thanks. It looks like router firewall settings was the issue. It has an excellent signal strength but I'm blocking the Fire tablet from having internet access to prevent it from updating and for extra security. For some reason that slows down the commands that are sent to it. When I give it access to the internet it responds much faster.

I was hoping to use it on the local network only but looks like that is causing the issue.

So I was trying to get this to work, and spent quite a while wondering why the audio/siren files wouldn't play on my rooted, Lineage OS 14.1 Fire HD 8's. I put in a bell and a siren, and neither would play anything.

I looked at the logs, and it seemed like it was sending everything to FKB properly. Hoewever, when I looked really closely in the log, I found a hex character code at the end of the URL (after .mp3). It's gone off the end of my log, unfortunately, so I can't see what the code was. It might have been %20 (space), but I'm not sure. When I put the cursor in the field for the URLs I couldn't see an extra space at the end, but I just hit delete (maybe a few times) when my cursor was at the end of .mp3, and then saved the preferences. After that, everything worked fine.

That could be the problem for some people who can't get the audio files working! Especially if you copy/paste in the URL fields.

I'm really pleased this is working now, and just need to get my 3 tablets all responding to sirens, and hopefully NOAA severe weather alerts! Really cool stuff, and I'm definitely glad I don't need to get something like a Sonos for simple TTS and siren alerts. I've spent enough on these systems so far; WAF would go in the toilet if I bought a Sonos or two.

I did get the wife to laugh when I said we could program it to say, "Get out of our house, mothaf#@%$" when someone trips HSM. :laughing:

So I’m wanting a large 24” touchscreen to run sharptools on, and use sharptools rules to swap dashboards on hub events. I think that means I need fully kiosk browser. Has anyone gotten that working well on a raspberry pi (I think that’s the only way I get 24” touchscreen)? Or maybe a android TV box (can you install the fully kiosk browser app on that?)

1 Like

I think that Fully Kiosk Browser can run on Android TV, but there are limitations/restrictions, such as not being able to use Secure Kiosk mode. I would do some Google searching to look for anyone with that kind of setup, and what the issues are.

I'm sure that FKB will not work on a Raspberry Pi, unless you can run Android (4.4+). If there's a good Android OS for RPi that will work on your big touchscreen, it should work with FKB. You can download the APK directly, so no need to make Google Play work. You would need WebView to work. Other setups on RPi are obviously possible.

1 Like

Hey Everyone,

Is there a way to play a sound file stored on my local samba server on my Fully tablet? From a browser "file://server.local/Hubitat/sounds/ding.mp3" works. I've tried different variations of that cmd in the Fully device using the playsound button like:

file://server.local/Hubitat/sounds/ding.mp3
smb://server.local/Hubitat/sounds/ding.mp3
file://user:pword@server.local//Hubitat/sounds/ding.mp3

No combination I've tried works.

Has anyone had luck doing this?

Thanks!

Never had luck doing that.

But I do run a light web server on my home server and throw files on there. For files I play often (like dings) I add it locally on the to reduce any latency.

You'd need something to mount the SMB share on the tablet to make something like this work. There are file managers with samba/SMB support, but I don't know if they will make a generally accessible mount point, and likely won't without root access.

Best to put them on a local web server. I use the web server on my NAS device for this. But as @gavincampbell said, I move any repeatedly used sounds to local storage on the tablet.

OK, thanks. I was just being lazy. Copying files to each tablet is a bit of a chore but I'll just do that.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Does this device feed back to hubitat and battery level on the tablet? I know remote displays the battery % on the web interface.

Right now it doesn't....

but it will. I'm working on releasing that update. It will feed the battery back and also use the camera as a motion sensor. Been doing some testing with good results.

1 Like

Sounds good, after taking a look through the code i noticed it wasn't there so I started add it myself but if there is a new version coming I may hold off. Thanks

There are a number of new enhancements. I figured out how to leverage javascript on the tablet so that it pushes information back to the driver. Battery power, motion, acceleration and a couple other things. Just have to find the time to tighten up the code and post it.

3 Likes

I certainly wouldn't suggest jumping into the rabbit hole that is MQTT and Node Red just for this, but if feedback is vital, I am however already building an MQTT infrastructure, and here is the info that fully sends to MQTT:
This sends events both on motion and sends battery level changes amongst other things. But like I said, Node Red and MQTT are great, but they add up to the worlds most complicated swiss army knife, leaving about 10 different ways to do anything under the sun and no obvious answer to which is the best way.

1 Like

Awesome ive been trying to get battery levels so i can have a switch charge it properly instead of leaving the tablets charging the whole time.

Just posted a new update to FKB Controller. Details are all in the first post.

This is a significant update and I hope I didn't break anything.

The biggest change is that the once configured the deviceNetworkId will be changed to the mac address of the device so that the device can then report back in things such as battery levels, screen on/off, screen brightness, volume changes, motion detection and more.

Keep in mind that there are so many android devices out there. I can't guarantee it will work on all or even how well it will work on all. I only have a Amazon Fire HD tablet to test on.

4 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to playing with it.

Oh, wow, just read over the changes, and how cool! The basically turns a device running fully into a crazy multi-sensor with a built-in dimmable light and speaker! If you look at it that way, it starts to really open up ways to use it outside the normal control panel applications...wheels are turning
Considering how cheap you can buy a phone...

Plus, so much easier to integrate into scenes and modes, etc., And to have voice control, "hey Google, turn off the control panel," etc.

Very nice update. I have an old $20 TCL Android prepaid phone I picked up at WM for control panel purposes a while back. This may be worth putting it back out as a project testbed using the new driver...:thinking:

1 Like

Yup. Pretty much. However the quality of the various sensors depends on the device.

For example, I don't think the motion detection will work in a dark room. So it might not be the best to use.

Also FKB requires a minimum android version... so I've seen others with older devices that couldn't use it unfortunately.

1 Like

Yep. Limitations for sure. But in my case, that phone ran FKB for months. I already have some ideas for it. It'll be fun to think outside the box on this!

1 Like

Hopefully it works and I didn't screw anything up. Let me know how it goes.

1 Like