[RELEASE] Follow Me - Speaker control with priority messaging, volume controls, voices and sound files!

Hmm, I must be missing something then. Because it doesn’t act like announcements. It doesn’t play the alert sound before speaking and it doesn’t show the message on screen.

Is there a setting? I have all Echo devices created via Echo Speaks and selected in FollowMe, and I have the Echo Speaks choice selected in the FollowMe children.

I don't have any Echo devices and don't use Echo Speaks so I can't answer that question. Sorry. Maybe someone who uses echo can chime in?

I meant more if there was a setting in FollowMe that I needed to change.

Can you tell from these debug logs if FollowMe is sending the right command for an announcement?

There is no setting in Follow Me that you would need to setup. It would be in Echo Speaks or whatever means you are using to send the message.

Follow me sends the message in whatever method it receives. In your log, Follow Me received a 'Speak' method. So that's what it used.

You mean from whatever app sent the notification? That makes sense, I guess, although it's a bummer, because as far as I've seen, most apps don't have options to control how it would speak. So I don't know what could possibly instruct FollowMe to give an announcement instead of speak.

There is only one person that I know of that uses the echo commands, @storageanarchy. He actually helped me a lot with the echo code within Follow Me.

Maybe he can lend you a hand on how to send the special echo commands. :man_shrugging:

Oh, please, @storageanarchy, share your wisdom! :pleading_face: I really want this to work.

Could we get a extra switch to disable the speaker.

Currently I have a Occupied virtual switch activated by a motion sensor using simple automation which is used to activate the speaker

I also have a sleep switch that when on I want to disable the speaker in that room (the wife sometimes works nights so don't want that speaker going off during the day)

1 Like

Wake a sleeping wife w/uninvited automation at your peril... [eek!!]

:wink:

Right now we have

• Quiet Time Override
  • Speech Restrictions
  • Pause App
  • AND a switch to Enable/Disable the child app :eyes:

I think that is enough switches :wink:

1 Like

Is there a way to send a priority message to all speakers? For example when a smoke alarm goes off?

Directly in HSM....assuming your smoke dectectors are integrated w/HE.

1 Like

I'm a bit confused, why do you have multiple Follow Me devices for the Kitchen and Office?

I only have one Follow Me device for all my speakers, and that's all that shows in HSM. And was hoping there was a way to use Priority to send a message to the Follow Me device which will then speak on them all.

When I installed Follow Me it created the parent and child devices. I use my child Follow Me devices in my automations in case I want to make changes that are specific to a particular speaker at some point. Easier to have them both in than having to add one later if I want to adjust stuff. Just the way I did it. I just realized from your question that I've never tried to send a message to the parent Follow Me" device.

Adding @bptworld (Bryan) to get his input on that.

Each room should have it's own child app. Then you just send the speech to the one device created for this app and it decided which speakers should receive the message based on your settings. Which is why it's called 'follow me'! There is no magic switch to send to all speakers but I'll add it to the list.

1 Like

Figured out a mis-configuration of Follow Me on my part. Operator error.

I had set the "catch" device for each speaker to be a speaker-specific virtual device. E.g., set Follow Me Kitchen virtual device for the kitchen speaker, and Follow Me Office virtual device for the office speaker.

As soon as I changed that setting for each speaker to the Follow Me device, then sending an announcement to Follow Me parent worked, and also works when I also choose just one Follow Me speaker to send to.

The weak link in software is most often users... :wink:

Glad you asked the question, @ElectronicFur, helped me fix something I hadn't realized I'd screwed up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How does the switch to "enable/disable" the child app work? I created a virtual switch to use to enable/disable a child app but it's not working. If I select the switch in the child app I get no announcements. Whether the switch is on or off. I remove the switch from the child app and I get announcements. I know I'm missing something I just can't put my finger on it.

New version:

2.2.9 - 10/09/20 - Reworked some things

1 Like

Thank you.

I just started seeing this in my logs and no alerts are working, any ideas?

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: user_app_BPTWorld_Follow_Me_Child_195.lastSpokenHandler() is applicable for argument types: (com.hubitat.hub.domain.Event) values: [com.hubitat.hub.domain.Event@14e9372] (lastSpokenHandler)