[RELEASE] Event Engine - Automate your world with easy to use Cogs. Rev up complex automations with just a few clicks!

OK, thanks. It was a little confusing that you can only select one of those options.

Reading it again I think I get it now...

i agree confusing.. play with it and the lindividual lights to make sure it is doing what you need for the rule. i think one of those options will suffice.. you want the switch to only be off when all are off.

Periodic expressions don't have boundaries or run every hour unless you tell them to. It's a one and done type of thing. It will setup a new scheduled job the for the next time it needs to run. Please click the little 'gear' in the corner and show me your next Scheduled Jobs section way down the bottom.

1 Like

I'm not sure what's turning your light off every hour but it's not this Cog. Notice when it says it will run... and notice that there in NO Previous Run Time. :grinning:

OK. Thanks. I'll check all of my other apps.... to try and track that down.

Much appreciated.

Remember you can go into the device and then scroll to the bottom. It'll list the apps that have access to the device.

This seems to work - did some testing using a motion sensor next to me I can trigger, and as far as I can tell:

• Turns on light when the group lights are off
  • Doesn't turn the light on when any of the group lights are on
  • Doesn't turn the light off or on outside the time range.

Final test tonight at 10PM when it runs naturally using the normal motion sensor group. Thanks.

1 Like

25 new messages in this thread today and no mention of piano light?!?... What is going on here?

1 Like

Dogs and cats, living together... :smiley:

1 Like

i actually dont want the time as a restriction.. i want it as a trigger as i want the rule to fire at 12:02 even if there is no motion or the mode doesnt change to arm the mode to night.. so if you look at the app to see hat this still works without reversing the switch at the end of the time range.

Otherwise this will not fire at 12:02 if we have already gone to bed and there is no motion.

this is what used to work in the older versions and it reversing the switch at 3:00 in the latest version
Event Engine Cog - ver. 2.3.5

Conditions
***** Cog will fire when ALL Condition are true
- By Mode - [Home] - as Restriction: false
- Between two times - From: 2020-12-09T00:02:00.000-0500 - To: 2020-12-09T03:00:00.000-0500 - Midnight: false - as Restriction: false
- By Motion Sensor: [mZone-Things Quiet Quiet Down] - InactiveActive: false, ANDOR: false
- Set Delay: true - notifyDelay: 10 Minute(s) - Random Delay: false

Actions
- Change Mode to: Night
- Switches to turn Off: [Lights Off at night new]

Notifications
- Send Push: [Att Txt gateway Sendmail, LG-H918]
- Message: Message: Things have quieted down - Goodnight Event Control NH!

did it work...

1 Like

Thanks for asking, I appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Answer: Yes, appears to be doing what I'm asking it to. I wasn't able to properly test the cog last night "in it's natural environment" starting at 10PM, too much going on and I lost track. I did reset the cog start time this morning to 9:22AM and have been letting it run all day. It's turning the light off when motion stops, and turning it on when motion starts. Magical. :wink:

The only issue is that when the "between two times" starting time for the cog hits, if the island light is on and there's no motion, it turns off the light. There are cases when we'll be in the room when the cog starts, we're watching TV from the couch so very little motion, and have the light on and want to keep it on. I may just need to set the starting time to later so that we're more likely to have left the room to go to bed. Alternatively I can leave it as it's is, but it then goes on and off when motion comes and goes while we're in the room, which is a little distracting.

Oops! Interesting timing...the cog just stopped working. The lights came on for like 1/2 a second or so (I was on the couch so no motion) and then abruptly shut off. Now I can't get the lights to turn on by moving around the room, even though motion is registering. Investigating.

Turned logging on. Just triggered motion and this happened:

Triggered it again - same thing happening. Light does not turn on. I didn't change anything in the cog, on my mesh, didn't add any devices or touch any automations.

Halp! :slight_smile:

The device is reporting that it is on and your checking for it to be off. Since it doesn't match, it is going in reverse.

1 Like

Thanks...so my switch status reporting is not working correctly. Odd. I just turned it on and off a few times and it started out reporting properly (it had been turned on and status showed on). I turned it off and on a few times and status stayed in sync w/reality.

Have you heard of this before? It's a two or so week old Z-Wave Plus switch (Honeywell) so should not have on/off status reporting issues like the older Z-Wave switches...

Curse of the C7?

Could be!

However...just triggered the automation w/the light off, and showing so on Device page:

Yet the light does not come on...

Not sure why the cog would have different status for the light than the light's Device page...

Logs appear to show it checking Family/Kitchen and finding it on.. your device screen shot is from a different light

MYSTERY SOLVED!! Bingo, @tony.fleisher!

And once again, it's my fault... [sound of sobbing]

That is the light group that is tested to see if any are on before turning on the Island Light.

I had added another light in the utility room to do some testing and forgot to remove it. My son was in the garage and then went into the utility room and turned on the light. Boom - my automation should not run as one of the lights in the group that are supposed to be off, is on.

Sheesh... :slight_smile: Mystery solved, and I'm hoping you guys will let me blame it on my son. :wink:

Man - just remembered, he also unplugged the piano light one time when I was doing testing on that cog. Maybe it's time to have the talk about him living on his own... :wink:

1 Like