[RELEASE] Event Engine - Automate your world with easy to use Cogs. Rev up complex automations with just a few clicks!

Bryan, it works !

Thank-you :wink:

2 Likes

Edit: I got this working with Roku. By using a switch as the condition, and the switch is Roku Netflix, I can take actions.

I still want to send commands from a tasmota IR device in Hubitat, using a YTF IR Bridge wifi device flashed with Tasmota-IR-Hubitat version. From the parent device in Hubitat, I can send commands that will send IR codes like 'Volume Up' for example. Any way a cog could have the action be a custom command to send a command? Probably not many of us doing this, but It would be nice for 'good night' rules to make sure TV is off, AV Receiver is off, etc.

How this is done in rule machine is with a custom command to a presence device, and doing a sendcommand of a string, and the string is the IR command to send.

1 Like

This will happen but might take a few days. Have to think about this one! :eyes: :thinking:

3 Likes

New version on GitHub...

Update both Parent and Child apps.

Introducing Global Variables! Share variables between Cogs. Works with Conditions and Actions!

Consider this a Beta of this feature. Test it out and let me know how it goes! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wow, this could be fun...

1 Like

I keep getting the message that the cog has to be saved...I hit Done, return to the cog and the message repeats.

Did you setup any GV in the parent app?

2.1.5 - 10/19/20 - Cosmetic changes

:eyes:

According to the log it did. Both times. Turn logging on the RM rule to see what happened over there.

Take a look at the GV in the parent app.

It already sends a line to the log. (I did change the wording a bit in the latest version)

1 Like

lol, no problem. Always good to take another look at the code!

1 Like

Nope, that would create one massive Cog.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do that in RM either. Again, what a massive/complicated rule that would be!

Maybe Webcore would probably be the best way to go, although from what I've read... it doesn't like too many variables.

:man_shrugging:

Missed this one...

Global Variables can not be shared outside of their environment. RM GV can only be used within RM, EE GV can only be used within EE. That's just the way HE works, there is no mechanism to share them with other apps.

Again, Nope! HE doesn't give user apps access to the file system. Was mentioned that it could be available in a future update but nothing yet.

1 Like

No I had not. I didn't realize they had to be set up in the parent app first. :slightly_smiling_face: At some point you might want to update the cog messaging on that for people like me who assumed that you can start creating them in the cogs.

Go look at your screenshot... It's right there! :eyes: lol

2 Likes

OMG...all I saw was the bold text, my amazing/lazy brain repeatedly skipped right over the first line since it wasn't bolded, eyes jumped to the bold text...Sounds silly, but maybe bold the first line as well?

1 Like

@bptworld...I've got a cog that turns on 2 lights and a fan, and turns off 14 other lights when I turn on a virtual switch (using Google Home) to kick the cog off.

It can take a long time to turn off the switches, long enough that it seems like it's not working.

Any suggestions for speeding this up a bit (other than "You need a better mesh."). :wink: Wondering if I should split the cog into two (one that turns on the three lights, other turns off 14 lights), or even split the 14 lights into two or three cogs.

Appreciate any suggestions...

Sounds a lot like my Goodnight Routine. When it's time for bed, I simply say 'Hey Google, Goodnight". She always responds with 'Good Night, Bryan'. Then it usually takes about 2 to 3 seconds for Google to trigger the Google Routine (which just flips a switch in HE). But once it flips the virtual switch in HE, all actions happen with 2 to 3 seconds total.

I do run a two hub setup. One hub for all my devices and the other for all my apps, using hubconnect.

1 Like

Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I do. :slight_smile: But my phrase is "Nighty-nite" and GH says "Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite" because that's what my mom used to say to me. :smiley:

So looks like EE isn't slowing me down. I have another app I trigger w/same virtual switch that tells me via GH if any doors or windows are open, something I set up before I had EE checking that, and I never bothered to turn it off. I'll pause that app and see if it was part of the slowdown...

So, I am now back in my vacation home and I have done some more testing, now with the correct kitchen lights. I think we are closer to the solution, but there are still some strange things going on.

To start, I set my lights to 2200 Kelvin via the HUE app. Then I initiate the motion sensor and the bulbs should go to 6000 Kelvin and 99%, but the logs show that they are set to go to 4000k instead. Then when the motion sensor is set to inactive, the bulbs go to the 1% they are set to go to, but do not change the color temperature.

Here is the cog

Summary

Here are the logs

Summary

Anything we can do about this @bptworld ?