[RELEASE] Ecobee Suite, version 1.9.00

@tim7 -

We should never see "HVAC system is null", so please do me a favor:

Insert the following line of code just before line # 663 of your ecobee Thermostat code:

log.debug "sv: ${sendValue}, rv: ${realValue}, dt: ${descText}"

Save and watch for that debug statement right before the errors...

I've inserted the code. So far no errors. I looked at the past log data, and it looks like just under an hour ago it started reporting "HVAC system is Fan only" instead of Null. It looks like the logs only go back to about 9:30 this morning, and that was the first time it had reported that and it's reported that two time since then.

Here's a screen cap that includes your line I just installed to display the debug line. It seems to currently match the "fan only" state that started to report about an hour ago.

To add some additional information that may help with your troubleshooting, it looks like my wife manually adjusted the thermostat right around the time it started to report "Fan Only" instead of null. Not sure if that is related or not, but I just noticed that in my graphs of historical data. (and I wonder why people say I'm a geek...)

Before, the thermostat was bouncing between "Dehumidifying" and "null"...I wonder why you aren't seeing Dehumidifying any more...

Let it run for a while with the (harmless) debug line - we might still learn something...

OK, here it shows an error again.

OK @tim7 - I found the core error. Get the latest ecobee Thermostat code from the repo (or via HPM).

Updated Ecobee Suite, issue resolved - Thank you

Ecobee Suite Updated March 5, 2023 at 10:30pm AST

Fixes:

1. Now properly handles thermostatOperatingState for cases where the HVAC is idle, but embedded components (humidifier, dehumidifier, water heater, ventilators) are reported as still active. This eliminates errors caused by thermostatOperatingState being (improperly) being set to “null,” including Smart Mode Helper.

2. Fixes fatal configuration error in the Smart Circulation Helper

Files changed:

• Ecobee Suite Thermostat, version 1.9.03
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Circulation, version 1.9.01

This update is recommended for ALL Ecobee Suite users, including those running 1.8.** versions

I installed the update last night and haven't seen any errors in the logs since then!

Ecobee Suite Thermostat may have an error on line 487, a missing "new". I think this is the needed line.

state.supportedVentModes = new groovy.json.JsonSlurper().parseText(ventModes()).sort(false)

Without the new there is a null exception.

I hope this helps.

You are correct - updated version will be posted shortly...

Ecobee Suite Updated March 13, 2023 at 4:45pm EDT

Fixes:

1. Corrected a jsonSlurper error that only occurred for users whose HVAC system supports multiple fanSpeeds (at least, I think so).

File changed:

• Ecobee Suite Thermostat, version 1.9.04

This update is recommended for ALL Ecobee Suite users

@storageanarchy My ecoBee also controls a HRV. I cannot figure out how to create a switch that can turn on the HRV for 15 minutes. This is for a timer for venting the bathroom after shower. If this is possible, how can it be done? Please me know.

I first tried to create a virtual switch monitored with webCore. The first test was to create a switch to turn the air handler fan on and off with webcore monitoring for a change in the virtual switch. I have not been successful yet. The ultimate goal is to turn on both HRV and fan for 15 minutes, and then turn off using this virtual switch. Then perhaps even using something like a PICO remote to trigger the HRV/Fan timer.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you

I never implemented full integration of vents, mainly because my HVAC systems don't have them.

BUT - there is a way that should work: you can call the custom setEcobeeSetting command of the thermostat to change the vent setting.

The format is:

• setEcobeeSetting( "vent", "on" ) // turns on the attached vent
  • setEcobeeSetting( "vent", "off") // turns the vent off
  • setEcobeeSetting( "vent", "auto") // returns the vent to auto mode
  • setEcobeeSetting( "vent", "minontime") // works like fanMinOnTime, but you need to set
    • setEcobeeSetting( "ventilatorMinOnTime", 15 ) // vent should run at least 15 minutes per hour

There are also two other settings for minOnTime: ventilatorMinOnTimeAway and ventilatorMinOnTimeHome that set the defaults for the Away/Home programs.

Try connecting these to your virtual switch, and let me know how (if) it works!

1 Like

Does the call "setSchedule()" still work? I have been using Webcore for customization, and it now is not setting the schedule.

Ecobee Suite Updated March 16, 2023 at 11:50am EDT

Fixes:

1. Added missing commands : setSchedule, setFanMode, setThermostatMode. (These were previously SmartThings-only, but I've added them for Hubitat now to aid people in their migrations)

File changed:

• Ecobee Suite Thermostat, version 1.9.05

This update is recommended for ALL Ecobee Suite users

The piston definitely can control the fan via a switch, although I may not have things completely right. This will turn fan on and off:

execute
if
HRV's switch is on
then
with
EcobeeTherm: ecobee
do
Set fan to On;
end with;
else
with
do
fanOff();
end with;
end if;
end execute;
Edit

The ecoBee app though report the fan hold is on, even after the fan is off when the HRV switch is toggled.

Replacing the on and off with the relevant vent settings did not seem to have any effect:

execute
if
HRV's switch is on
then
with
do
setEcobeeSetting( "vent", "on" )
end with;
else
with
do
setEcobeeSetting( "vent", "off" )
end with;
end if;
end execute;
Edit

Perhaps there is a way I can dig into this further?

To clear the fan hold, you need to do a resumeProgram().

You may need to turn both the vent and the fan on to get it to work. I’m afraid I can’t help more since I don’t have an HRV/ERV on my system - unless you find errors in live logging while executing the commands…

I will try turning both on.

Thank you for the resumeProgram()

I will let you know how it goes.

@storageanarchy Thank you.

Please know I have something work. Still learning to know if correct. Below is the piston. Now need to wait the twenty minutes to know if program is restored after timer. This will toggle with the HRV switch. The direct "vent" "on" and "off" did not work. This also turns the fan on automatically.

1 Like

I finally have added window sensors and have been excited to automate my AC units. What i can't seem to find is how to use the window sensors as triggers for turning the AC on or off. All i see is switches, and its bringing up every light switch, and outlet i own. Not one sensor... what am i missing?