[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

This took a little bit for me to work out but I got it workout. One thing I noticed, if your Amazon app requires you to approve any sign in, then you need to accept it through the Amazon app for the cookie to be released. I am sorry if it is in the documentation but this is what tripped my cookie up for the authorization.

@tonesto7 : Just checking on Updates to Echo Speaks to deal with the changes in Amazon Cookie Managment. I am using the "work around" developed by @jtp10181 and it works great. However, anytime my hub reboots, I have to go the Heroku dashboard and restart the Dyno.

Thanks so much for all your efforts.

Good morning,

I apologize, I’ve been assigned a new role at work and all my free time is non-existent anymore. I promise that when I get some extra energy I will try to fix the heroku and server issues.

I highly recommend just running the server locally and these issues disappear!

11 Likes

Just out of curiosity - what is the average monthly cost that one would expect using this? I saw $5.38 in first month with no activity - I did not get it fully installed because of the noted issues. Thanks.

If you run your own local Echo Speaks cookie server, as is suggested, the cost is zero.

1 Like

Depends on how you sign up, there is an option to pay a flat $5 fee for 1000 hours which is enough to run one "dyno" all month. The min charge is $5 for that. The next tier is $7 per month, max of $7 but no min and it costs per hour. I think I calculated it out and if running the whole month it would cap out right around $7.

Now the trick would be if the server was coded to go to sleep and wake up as needed then the $7 option would be super cheap (less than $1 easily) since it would really only need to run for a few hours a month. I am not totally sure how that works but it was not needed with the prior "free" tier which I think put things to sleep automatically anyway. It may even go to sleep on its own as it is now, I have not let it run long enough to find out since I was only testing a few things.

Got it- thanks. I was not able to complete the installation because of the issues noted above. I did get far enough to setup the heroku account and they started billing me even though the app is not functioning. As I understand it from above I can install as a docker to work around this step so I am going to investigate that.

Here is the guide: [GUIDE] Echo Speaks Server on Docker (or without)

I noticed my es tile is not updating correctly and shows that it's 50 days old since the last refresh. However, if I look inside the app and do a manual review or manually update it shows that it has been updated within the 50 days. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

I noticed the same thing recently. Meant to ask but just kept forgetting.

2 Likes

Mine is updating regularly. I am using local ES server on Raspberry Pi 4, just keeps humming along since installation many months ago. Is yours local?

The 2 posters above are talking about the ES Tile device by @thebearmay, not the actual Echo Speaks app.

1 Like

Try decreasing the poll rate in the device setting an see what happens.

@thebearmay Any ideas?

1 Like

If you’ve upgraded to 2.3.6.x on HE re-import the driver, there is a small change that ws required by the UI update.

2 Likes

I've been trying to update to the newest version for months, and it keeps getting fatal error and rolls back. today i decided to delete it all and restart. WHICH HAS BEEN FUN!

I added my local server to the call back, switched the cloud.hubitat.com to local. But when i try and go to the login page it gives me a 404 error. and thats where it all fails. any ideas?

Thanks! Looks good.

When was update from.and which drivers cause i installed a few days ago and its not .finding any update.

I've been trying to update to the newest version for months, and it keeps getting fatal error and rolls back. today i decided to delete it all and restart. WHICH HAS BEEN FUN!

I added my local server to the call back, switched the cloud.hubitat.com to local IP. I was getting a 404 error and that changed on my 35th try. Now i click login and it says success, getting cookie and then back to login page. i dunno what to do.

Restart the container / server.
After logging into Amazon DO NOT click the save button at the bottom, just close the page.

This is all covered in my guide: [GUIDE] Echo Speaks Server on Docker (or without)

I believe I've read that and tried it. It never once says it signed in. I think the issue is that I changed the ip of my hub and server and it's been an issue. Also I set up the server on proxmox 1.5 years ago and I don't remember how I did it or what guide I used. I also barely know any Linux stuff but I'm pretty sure I need to update something on the server to show the new ip.