[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

Thanks a lot for the tip @WindowWasher, but the problem was between the keyboard and the chair: it was me! :grin:

I made a mistake when editing the code, but @thebearmay helped me pointing the solution.

Thanks anyway!

2 Likes

I must be missing a step or something. When I try the 'Amazon Login Page' all I get is this 'Nothing here yet' page. The Echo Speaks docs seem to be outdated. Any ideas?

Workaround until the dev figures out a fix:
-- Echo Speaks - Heroku new deployment workarounds

2 Likes

@bptworld: I'm using the Work around developed by @jtp10181 and it's working flawlessly.

Good morning friends, the same thing happens to me, the cookies appear like this but my data works fine, is there something I should worry about?

Essentially, yes.

That means your Echo Speaks instance in not able to refresh the cookie. How long it will continue to work for you is an unknown. You need to get your local ES server or Heroku ES server working.

I am paying 5 euros for the Heroku service, which I don't understand because the cookies are not updated, I just realized now.

@diegodelprat : Heroku is no longer a free service. It is used by Echo Speaks to host a routine that allows update of the Amazon Cookie. Along with that, there are naming convention changes that @tonesto7 is working to get into the Official Code and placed into HPM.

I'm using the Heroku paid service and @jtp10181 has worked a ton to develop work arounds so that Heroku can be used while the main code is getting sorted out.

There is another route to set up a server of your own. I chose not to use that route as my coding/programming skills are non-existent.

My Echo Speaks was working fine but the Cookie refresh was 275 days old and Hubitat was gettng errors from the Echo Speaks App every 15 minutes. I chose to pay the fee and install the Work Around.

At the moment, since my echo works well for me, I will leave everything as it is, when it fails one day I will do the solution, since I am lazy I have to delete everything and recreate my routines with the echoes from Hubitat, etc.

Really no skills are required, just need an always-on device that can run docker or Node.js (just about anything) and the ability to follow instructions.

1 Like

@jtp10181 : Thanks Jeff...I appreciate the advice. I don't currently have anything on my network that uses an operating system and is "always on". I'll take a look at low-cost options. If I get something in place, I'll let you know and lean on you a bit for help if needed.

May not be worth it to purchase something new unless you plan to host other applications as well. You could run it on Heroku for 5 years and only spend $300.

Good Call @jtp10181

I run my echo speaks locally on my windows 11 system, in a vbox linux server. Works great,

That's what I'm doing (Win10+vbox) and a headless Ubuntu VM.

"Server" is on 24x7, on UPS, running NUT (on a Pi), etc. I think I'm using @jtp10181's rule machine rule for NUT as well.

P.S. If you ever need to build a Windows service easily without using the kludgy CLI method, I use NSSM (NSSM: The Non-Sucking Service Manager) http://nssm.cc/

I originally found this when I needed to autostart a java applet on a Windows server (they didn't have a suitable 'nix host that wasn't on the particular SAN) generated by a storage array that needed to run quorum for a multi-site SAN replication solution.

All,

I started getting errors on my Hubitat Logs from the ES Apps. When I tried to renew the Cookie Manually, it did not seem to work. Looking deeper, there is an error running the App in Heroku. I have attached several screen shots. I have applied the @jtp10181 work around using Heroku and it worked perfectly up to now. Any thoughts?

@john022662k The 503 error means your Heroku server is not available/responding.

@jkudave, @jtp10181 : Thanks for letting me know what the 503 error is. Is there anything I can do or is there an issue outside of my control?

Check your Heroku server setup and make sure it is running and that you can reach it.

Thanks.... I went in and restarted all Dynos.... that fixed it. Not really sure why I had to do that.

2 Likes