[RELEASE] Echo Speaks v3 + Actions

If you don not want to use Echo Speaks, you can write the rule to trigger a virtual presence, motion or contact sensor that you have linked to Amazon Echo.

Then in Amazon Echo, write a routine that will say something based on the activated virtual presence. You can have one setup per person if you are more than one at your place.

You can only do that with Echo Speaks. With an Alexa routine, you will need to have it say a static string. You can send the custome values as a notification on your phone.

Yeah I know I’ve been silent. I’ve been working on a project for work and haven’t focused attention on my HA projects. I think I’m going to have to change up my release plans.

I want to get out the performance fixes so I think I'm going to release this as a v3.7 instead of v4.0.
I just don't have the time currently to work on the new features I had planned.

So sometime over the next 5 days, I will release the next version.

7 Likes

We appreciate everything you do :+1:

1 Like

Any way to play an arbitrary URL? The default sounds are ok, but I want a very simple single chime. I have one as an MP3 file on Hubitat I like. I have this MP3 working through webCoRE, but I can't get the capture/restore working to not disrupt playing music. I wanted to see if I could get this to work how I want with Echo Speaks but I can't get it to play an arbitrary URL. I could have it trigger a webCoRE piston, but then I still can't get it to capture/restore my echo state to resume music if it's already playing.

So, my goal is to pause whatever is playing on the Echo in the currently active zones, chime (using my MP3), then resume playing (and if nothing is playing, it just chimes, doesn't resume playing music).

I get this error about once per day, any idea what is causing it?

It’s seems to be happening because it’s trying to capitalize an empty value. I will make sure it’s handled in the upcoming release

3 Likes

I have been trying for months to get this setup again. it says i need to log into amazon. i click on the link but no matter what broswer i use, on what device it gives me an error about needing to allow cookies. this has been a cluster. Any ideas?

I wish I could help... The amazon login thing is so hard to debug.

1 Like

@tonesto7 Great work! Just wondering whether it is possible to deploy the server side codes on a NAS server. I've a QNAP NAS running at home, and a Raspberry Pi.

Thank you.

There should be examples of this in this thread... I recall it being discussed as an option before.

Same here. What's your solution? Thanks.

just clone the repo...

git clone https://github.com/tonesto7/echo-speaks-server
cd echo-speaks-server
npm i 
npm start

That will run the server

3 Likes

Is there much benefit to running locally?
I would assume would still not work in and internet outage.

i can't think of any reason to... :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about paranoia?

1 Like

If you already have Echo devices in your house, I don’t know how paranoid you can be.

7 Likes

@tonesto7 Thank you. After starting the server app, it failed the first test during the starting procedure. What could be causing that failure?

Happy New Year! I use Echo Speaks to control music and just recently switched from an Echo Gen1 to an Echo Dot Gen3 (due to changes within the house). When updating my dashboard I noticed that the current device state of the Gen3 dot no longer support MediaSource and TrackImageHTML along with several other states. Does anyone know if this is a known issue with the Gen 3 Dots or with Echo Speaks? I am running 3.6.4.4. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm in need of help.

How do I trigger an Alexa routine (via Echo Speaks) from Rule Machine?

I get that I can trigger one directly from Echo Speaks, based on some sensors. But there I can't create the nested if-else logics that I need, which I have in RM.
I expected to be able to set a global variable in RM and use that as a trigger in ES. But can't find such trigger option.

I found the "Run custom action" (in RM) to have function executeRoutineId(). Which I assume is from the Echo Speaks App, but I can't find it in the documentation.

I also read about the work-around of setting a virtual sensor status in RM and let Alexa (directly) react on that. But then what's the point of Echo Speaks' routine-functionality?

PS: I'm very new to Hubitat.

I can't help you there... I tried creating a simple rule under RM and just threw my hands up.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I highly recommend WebCoRE!

3 Likes