[RELEASE] Echo Speaks v3 + Actions

I think I noticed on Heroku in order to use ssl you need to pay so I assume ( still could be wrong ) that all non paid setups go via http.
If that is true it does not matter that Heroku does not remember the state. I am actually less concerned that someone could hack into Heroku to pull your amazon password and order himself a few macbook on your behalf.
I am more concerned that someone can sniff the http channel and can extract your cookie from the http header and use it for same.

I followed all the steps, had to setup a free account, however I don't have any devices showing up?

Note that at step 9 of the setup it did not have a save button, just a DONE.

It shows (0) Installed under Manage Devices after 45 minutes of waiting.

My login Status shows
Login Status: (Valid)
Cookie Updated:
(44 mins, 16 secs ago)

What did I do wrong?

I have 2 older Echo's, 2 3rd Gen, and a 2nd Gen Echo.

UPDATE: I'm getting the following error in my logs...

app:1002020-12-16 04:52:12.361 pm errorEchoApp (v3.6.4.4) | receiveEventData Error: com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'Echo Speaks WS' in namespace 'tonesto7' not found

Thanks,

DaveinTN

Sounds like you did not install the websocket device code

1 Like

I just figured that out and got it working, thanks for the response.

DaveinTN

So I'm sitting here watching TV and I just received an alert that an app running on iOS from Virginia logged into my Amazon account.

If I recall Virginia was the location that authenticated my HerokuApp account. Is this the app checking back in? I have two-factor authentication on my account, do I need to be concerned?

Thanks,

DaveinTN

All traffic is over https

Even on free accounts?

Edit: never mind, ES is working, was an error in the piston.

But what about these, anything to be concerned with:

There are hundreds of entries like this for every Echo device I have configured. I'm also seeing some of these "temporary failure in name resolution" entries:

Thanks.

Tons of errors when I asked Alexa to play music everywhere

Anything I can do about this?

Hi All, Hopefully someone can spare a small amount of time to help me. Migrated from ST where I used Echo speaks, but Hubitat has turned my vague interest into an obsession - suddenly I have lots of new devices that I am putting to use! LoL.

Can I use Echo speaks to query the status of contact sensors? Ideally, I'd like to be able to ask an Alexa device 'Are my windows open' or something, and Hubitat then poll/check all the devices and give a response on the echo I asked. I understand that Webcore may be part of the key here - any pointers / examples anyone can give me to start on my journey?

Thanks.

You don't need Echo speaks for this. If you add the device to the Echo skill app then you can ask Alexa if a contact sensor is open or closed.

To do all at once you would need a some type of routine I think, webcore or RM should be able to do it. Echo speaks would be used to make the announcement.

A simple solution might be to make a virtual contact sensor, and then use RM to set this virtual sensor open if any actual sensor is opened and close it when all the sensors are closed. You could then use the native Alexa ability to query a contact sensor. Just query the state or the virtual sensor.

And once last thing, check the community apps section, someone may have already written an app to do this. I don't think about that myself. I have made a few fairly elaborate rules in RM since my move from ST , only to later find out there was already a community app made.

its been so quiet here - the anticipation of the next release is killing me lol.

2 Likes

Same problem, any solution yet?

In echo dot 4 the announcements and text to speech is false

Just started using HE and got everything working. I just tried setting up an action to play music on one of my Echo Dots but no matter what I use to trigger it the music only plays for about 30 seconds. My intent was to create a dashboard with tiles to select different SXM channels and some playlists that I created in Amazon Music.
Additionally, I have a tile set up as a music player for the dot I am using in the action. After executing the action the dot shows the last channel played. If I click the play button the channel will start playing again without stopping.

Hey guys!

I started to use echo speaks, and i really can't figure out how to make the followings:

When i arrive home and open my door (contact sensor)
Alexa welcomes me with this sentence:
"Hello Brian! The temperature is 23 celsius."

So my question is:
Can i put a temperature sensor value into the sentence?
Thanks
Andrew

One method using webCore:

Wow, thanks @thebearmay!

So i guess, i have to install webCore.
I never used it.

Andrew

Rule Machine should be able to do it in a similar fashion, I just happen to be more familiar with webCore as that’s what I used when on ST.

1 Like

That’s how I have it setup, in Rule Machine. Set the trigger to your presence /arrival. In the actions, first set a wait for the contact sensor event, then send the speak command to your speech device. In my case, I setup a 2 second wait so I have time to actually enter the house...

So i can do this in rule machine?
Without echo speaks?
Ok, i check it out when i arrive to home.

But i am able to include a device’s value to the sentence?