[RELEASE] Echo Speaks v3 + Actions

I just pushed out new versions of all the app codes to resolve the issues with the conditions.
I'm also about to attempt to walkthrough setting up the server local

5 Likes

I just tested with the new version and can confirm the issue I was having with a condition is resolved. Thanks!

2 Likes

I just updated mine from 3.2 to 3.3.2.0 because I was getting these errors and after updating I still am. here they are:

dev:12502020-01-10 11:19:37.825 am errorEcho (v3.3.0.1) | getNotifications | Request Timeout (Possibly an Amazon/Internet Issue) | Msg: Connect to alexa.amazon.com:443 [You've received an Alexa Link] failed: connect timed out

dev:12502020-01-10 11:19:27.013 am errorEcho (v3.3.0.1) | getWakeWord | Request Timeout (Possibly an Amazon/Internet Issue) | Msg: Connect to alexa.amazon.com:443 [You've received an Alexa Link] failed: connect timed out

Is there a way to do the equivalent of saying "Alexa, set Soundbar volume to 7"?

I've got a Samsung sound bar (HW-Q90R) that is the preferred speaker for one of our rooms. I've got the echo automatically playing music through it when it's time for dinner, but it's always too loud since it's using the previous volume setting.

I suppose I could build a soundproof box with two Echo Dots in it and have one issue the command to the other, but I'd rather not go that route. =)

Set your sound bar (HW-Q90R) to a "static" volume you like.

Adjust the volume of the echo device.
Reference the ES help for the setVolumeSpeakAndRestore command.
There are also other setVolume commands you can use; they all have their quirks..

Thanks, but that's not going to work. An acceptable level for dinner background music is way different from the level at which we watch TV/movies.

I have a webcore piston that sets the volume levels on my various Echo Dots around the house based on the Hubitat mode... I had the same issue of having the speakers still set to volume 10 from playing music for housework in the afternoon, and then asking the Dot to change the thermostat cuz it's too cold at night... only to have it scream OKAYYY in the middle of the night.

I'd imagine you could do similar in RM or something, with a set volume command or something.

Is your dinner time music set for the same time every day? If so, just look into adding that volume set command to it.

That's the difference, unfortunately. Changing the volume of any of the Echo devices is easy. Changing the volume of a separate "works with Alexa" speaker is where the difficulty lies. I don't need to just do the equivalent of "Alexa, set volume to 7". I need to do "Alexa, set volume of soundbar to 7".

I think I have a workaround thanks to some undocumented local API functionality on the soundbar, but will need further testing to confirm.

Not a Hubitat solution, but be aware that if you whisper your command to Alexa, she will whisper back. If this behaviour isn't already enabled:

1. Open the Alexa app
  2. Open the main menu and select settings
  3. Select Voice Responses (located under Alexa Preferences)
  4. Enable whisper mode by sliding the switch to the right into the β€œon” position
1 Like

Ah yes, I missed that it was an alexa compatible soundbar, not an echo device itself :smile:

I’ve been looking at this and it looks great. The one thing I’m not finding - is it possible to control directly from another Groovy app or do you have to setup routines and trigger those?

@tonesto7 I'm seeing something new today, probably just in the last hour. I've known there are some rate limits, although I've never seen any exact definition of what triggers it. But now, I'm hearing "Amazon force unit selection" repeated twice. The logs show:

Several tests give erratic results, but it is more likely if I try to speak a message on two or more devices. Sometimes the intended message or the error message never sounds. Something new from Amazon?

1 Like

I heard that too, thought I was hearing things.

I'm not sure what they have been doing. They've been making changes to the WebAPI lately.
I almost think they are working towards blocking this whole exploit.
I seen a lot of rate limiting happening the last couple days

Same here.

Me too. Something strange in the event logs as well. They usually look like this when the dot is not in use:

Then around 11:00am yesterday, all of my dots (just 3) started showing "audioTrackData" every 60 seconds and have been since:

I have no idea what it means or if it has anything to do with it but it does appear they've changed something.

I changed my rule to use the dots as a "music device" instead of "speech device". That appeared to get rid of the strange message. I only checked it once as I had to run out but we'll see when I get home today.

1 Like

I have ES installed on my ST and linked using HubConnect. I’m hearing the same thing on routines set up on Alexa as well.

1 Like

@tonesto7 I went to go update the device portion to the latest and this error message popped up top:

expecting '}', found '' @ line 3194, column 1.

Add a } on line 3194.

Sorry if this has already been answered. I just installed Echo Speaks, but I'm not seeing an option for selecting a "button" for an event trigger. It's not an item on the selection list. Any thoughts? I'm running app version v3.4.0.0, socket v3.2.0.1, and server v2.3.1.

Thanks!
-RS