[RELEASE] Echo Speaks v3 + Actions

@tonesto7 Anthony, just a heads-up for you...

The latest update I applied to ES now locks my hub up (repeatable) anwhere between 6-8 minutes. I guess this timeframe corresponds to the amount of time it takes to use up any free hub "resources" after a reboot.

I opened a ticket with support & they confirmed it was ES that is in Bobby's words "eating your hub alive".

The WEIRD thing is I DID disable all ES related stuff; the App + 3 children, and eventually all the ES devices themselves. I took yet another reboot after that to get the "resources" to release, because despite disabling all, "ES devices were still locking your database a few hours ago."

Since this last reboot, ES remains disabled and my system is its "usual" self again...
I will be enabling ES again in due course, more than likely this evening, as a final test.
As mentioned, ES was running fine until this last update.
I like ES, love it in fact. Love my wife more! So I had to pick :slight_smile:

I’m sorry that’s happening. I didn’t add in anything new that would affect the operation or load

I suspected as much. But I sure as shite am missing ES already, and don't know what I will be doing to get speech back if the issue persists. Here is crossing my fingers and toes that when I re-enable tonight, all stays stable...

1 Like

Is there anything that I can do about this error? It happens randomly and I am not sure why or if it is related to the other errors that are being reported. BTW, This error occurs when Echo Speaks is not speaking so it is not triggered by use.

Edit: Here is some more info.

@Otto_Mation see ​https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-echo-speaks-v3-actions/22879/380?u=zarthan and the response two posts down from there.

Thanks I saw those. I have been trying to figure out what the problem is. Each of my errors are associated with an individual Echo device and each and every one on my system triggers that same error. Hopefully @tonesto7 can track the problem down.

I just wanted to provide a quick response so you guys don’t think I'm avoiding you.

I’m traveling for work and won’t be able to review any of this until at least Saturday

2 Likes

These errors are now coming up with v3.4.0.0

@tonesto7, just so you know, Echo Speaks seems to be working in spite of the error messages.

This is fantastic!

Quick question, Is there a way to upload or create your own sound?

Thanks!

Sorry if this has been mentioned before and I miss it.
But I use to have Echo Speaks installed before in HE and removed it about 3 months ago. So last night I decided to give the Echo Speaks v3 a try.

I noticed during the setup with Authorizing Amazon, "Developer Notices".

After I finished the setup and did the Testing, again I noticed the say "Noticed" listed again. Did I do something wrong?

I wasn't sure if I made a mistake during the setup, so I uninstalled everything just to be sure. I'll try it again later once I understand what happen.

Thanks

No. That is a note from the author of the app @tonesto7 that you will likely see those errors until he has a chance to resolve the issue this weekend. I see those errors in my logs also but everything is working fine as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

@Otto_Mation
Thanks!

From an earlier post [RELEASE] Echo Speaks v3 + Actions

1 Like

Just reinstalled Echo Speaks again, did the Device Testing and worked just fine.
But seeing a lot of Errors popping up. :anguished:

Yep. What you are seeing for the most part is the same error on different Echo devices. It looks like you might have 7 or 8 or more Echo's? I didn't count carefully to get the exact number but quite a few. Some of the device numbers are repeated.

1 Like

Yep, 11 Echo devices, plus an Echo-Auto. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Amazon is trying to tell you something...
Shutup. Talk less. Hush. Zip it.

You can talk with a max of 3 devices simultaneously. Even then I run into a similar issue.

You can avoid this by putting delays between your device speak requests but then any requirement for sync talking is lost.

I use a motion strategy to only talk at a device if there was motion within the past 5 minutes in the device location. Despite this I still occasionally exceed the 3 device limit.

One can also use hardcoded Alexa routines to talk to all devices triggered by something in HE. Amazon doesn't rate limit itself. But then you have the issue of hardcoding several phrases on the Alexa web site if you want to use them. Ideal for some cases but doesn't work at all if you build speak request phrases dynamically.

As far as the rate limit with speech the queue should address that and retry the message again

You can easily execute an Alexa routine using an ES Action

Anthony, this may be true as you say, but real world evidence as observed says otherwise by several posts referencing this issue in this thread alone. Less than 3 devices at the same time and you are typically good, more than 3 and one can reproduce these issues pretty much on demand.

Again, executing an Alexa routine with a ES Action doesn't negate the need to "hard code" the response on Alexa side; one simply cannot build a dynamic speech request on the Hubitat side & pass it to a routine using an ES action (assuming I understand this correct). I would love to stand corrected in this respect!