[RELEASE] Device Watchdog

1. Yes, in the new release
  2. No, you could always use RM or EE to do this though
  3. Yes

In new release

New release on GitHub...

2.4.2 - 11/14/21 - Added a data switch to each type of reporting
- Added Attribute to store how many devices are reporting in each section
- Fixed multiple typos/missing stuff while adding these options.

3 Likes

Super appreciated! Thank you for being an integral part of this community!!
I'll try out the the new release.

Trying to update to the latest version , but I receive this error (see screenshot)

I just installed it just fine on another hub. Please try it again.

Nope - would not update this AM or twice this PM. Any troubleshooting steps I can take?

You can always update manually.

I just bumped up the version number and ran the update on HPM. Again, everything installed just fine. So it's not something with my GitHub or DW. :man_shrugging:

I would try doing a repair in HPM and see it that helps.

1 Like

Super - Thanks for checking!

I just updated using HPM with no problems.

3 Likes

Wondering how I can seperate the title from the value ...
I use Tile Master 2 to generate tiles for Android Dashboard. During creation of the tile I can display an attribute. In the case of Device Watchdog - I want to display 'No Data' for the attribute bpt-watchdogActivity1. The value stored on the device is 'Activity Report - No Data'. I can't find a way to parse just the 'No Data' value and drop the Activity Report portion of the string so that I can control color of the Title vs the attribute response - it seems to be hard coded. I believe the App is sending the concatenated string to the tile which is fine if I used the pre-created Device Watchdog Tile which has no flexibility - but for use in other Tiles, rules etc... I could really use a 'pure' value of the attribute!
I believe it may be easier to modify the Device Watchdog child to configure a variable under Report Options that gives an On/Off for 'Title of report on/off' which determines whether the passed value to the attribute of the Device includes the 'Activity Report -' (or Battery Report etc) or not.

1 Like

New version on GitHub...

2.4.4 - 11/22/21 - Added option to remove report titles

1 Like

That was - insane. Thank you Brian! Using your code, I now have dynamic reporting on the tile:

I want to say that I think you might want to consider setting the Default of that to True - so as to maintain previous folks. I am really grateful. When I can in the near future I'd like to send you some coffee - a little later this month.

2 Likes

Looks great! and thank you.

FYI i can't seem to upgrade Watchdog via HPM (Hubitat Package Manager). Anyone else having similar issues?

"Error Occurred During Installation
An error occurred while installing the package: Failed to upgrade app https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bptworld/Hubitat/master/Apps/Device%20Watchdog/DW-child.groovy."

UPDATE: did the "Repair" function and seemed to work at least.

Flagging what I think may be an unknown problem - searched the thread and didn't find anything like mine.

I have virtual switches that go on when the Watchdog runs and finds something. When I clear these issues, I verify it is cleared by running the reports.

When the report runs, and is clear - it should toggle off the switch. AFAICT the switch only toggles off on a re-run of watchog timer. Because I run my watchdog daily, that means it is showing an error condition even tho the error has been cleared. I believe added the switch routine to the end of the reports is necessary.

Running the Reports in the 'Reports Section', is simply a visual report. It doesn't effect switches or send push messages.

You need to add a switch under 'Other Options' to manually run the report. This will turn your virtual switch on/off and/or send push as needed.

Yea. Got that - I'm taking full advantage -

As I mentioned - it's simply that running the report - imho - should also trigger resetting the switch (off OR on). At this time, on re-running the report it does not turn the switch off, only on. The switch does go off if I re-run at the schedule.
This:

Might need the opposite - like a 'Turn this OFF if there is no activity to report'. I know the test says 'switch will automatically shutoff when there is no data' but that only seems to be checked on report run (I do it daily at 2pm). I'm going to try setting to run every 2 hrs and see what the impact is. Maybe I can live with that :).
update: I created a rule if it sees a virtual report switch go on, starts a timer and every 2 hours runs the DW. Tested. works. still a kludge tho!

as a side note - @bptworld you write so many great tools - lots with text basis - I wonder if you saw what someone did in the Noob CSS thread - the scrolling text is so cool:

1 Like

Feature Request -
DW is one of my most used/important apps. So first, thank you.

I have a few lights that are rarely used. DW shows that they haven't had activity for a while, and during the daily 'check' it sends a command to them. I believe I read that it sends a 'refresh'. What occurs in my environment is DW turns them on. I'm perfectly comfortable with that, but then I have to manually turn them back off. It's annoying to walk into my office and have to turn off my test bulb, or the living room mood lamp.
The feature I'm asking for would be to put a delay, then send the off command to follow. In this way, the activity log would reflect activity, the bulb would have toggled and no one would have known or cared!
In addition, as it stand now, I need to run a virtual switch that re-runs DW to clear the tile, Otherwise the tile, after having reported a negative state, stays that way.

Thanks for your consideration.

DW simply sends a 'refresh', it doesn't turn anything on. If no 'refresh' is found, it then looks for a 'configure' button. It's the same as you going into the device page and clicking the 'refresh' button.

So let's do an experiment - go to your device page and click on 'refresh' and/or 'configure'... what happens?