[RELEASE] Device Watchdog

Configure turns on the bulb! Refresh doesn't exist. Using "Advanced Zigbee CT Bulb' driver from HE...

The "Configure" command with the "Advanced Zigbee ... Bulb" family of drivers on Hubitat runs some tests on the bulb and turns it on as part of that process (never been clear if it's supposed to turn it off after, but I don't think it has on any device I've tried). Maybe some option in the app not to revert to configure() if refresh() isn't found could help with this--assuming you prefer the "Advanced" over "Generic" drivers for this device, as the latter doesn't have this quirk (but also works differently and is generally less-featured).

Further exploration - yes indeed. All the devices that are having problems and 'ghost' enabling run this driver OR the Advanced Zigbee RGB... !!!

I have about 15 devices using this driver. It totally explains everything. I like the driver as it has level limit and transition speed. It's a shame I can't use it - does anyone have a recommended replacement?

@bertabcd1234 I swapped the driver for the 'generic (dev) one. It also has this problem. (are we gonna call it a feature? cuz in my book, it's a bug.)

I don't think those do that. You'll definitely want to run Configure after switching between the two. Might need to switch to "Device" and clear state and schedule, too, though I don't think I ever did...

That's definitely a bug, why would it turn the bulb On!? Very weird.

Anyways...

New version available...

2.4.5 - 02/28/22 - Added switch to not call 'config' due to a bug in some drivers

New version available...

2.4.6 - 03/01/22 - Added ability to use 'Custom notes' from the Data section of any device

Check out @thebearmay's awesome new addition, Custom Device Note App. This update makes it possible to use this custom data in DW battery reports!

@danabw :hushed:

6 Likes

Just looking at this for the first time. I must be missing something because I just setup a button for the status report. I only just bought the button and the status report says last status report was last year, in November. It is a sonoff push button.

Screenshots...

• how you have it setup
  • what the status report looks like
  • debug log - any errors?

Hi there, just installed the Device Watchdog yesterday. Took me a little bit to figure out how it worked but once you do its a great addition. Can you tell me if the image indicates a problem.
It lists 1 device but says total devices 2. Do I have some device with no name?

I just tried to use Device Watchdog on linked devices from other hub and it didn't work. I doubled checked my settings and have been using the app for almost a year on the hub where the devices are on. I first did it with a device tile that was also linked and another try using a local device tile, each being setup as a "Device Watchdog Tile".

Am I doing something wrong?

See post 670

Ok, makes sense.

just for information, anyone using a Hue light which turns on blue randomly, after scratching my head for a few weeks ive found that this app sends a configure command and that turns the light on blue.

• endpointId: 0B
  • model: LCT026
  • application: 02
  • softwareBuild: 1.88.1
  • firmwareMT: 100B-0111-01001A00
  • manufacturer: Philips

This app only sends a 'refresh' and/or 'config', IF YOU TELL IT TO. In no way, shape or form does it send an on command or specify a color!

BTW, I have a bunch of Hue bulbs and don't have any issues with them.

1 Like

It was for other user information really, the lamp in question is a hue go. If you click or send a config command it turns on blue after the config has run

I have a hue strip light which is also zigbee and Bluetooth using the same driver and it doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

Did you try it w/this setting turned off:

i have now, the information i was trying to relay is the fact that this app can have this effect on the specific hue lamp (hence posting the model details).
It was more if some one searched for "Hue blue light" or the model/firm/etc it would take them hear for the potential reason.

Take another look at the screenshot I posted. It does give you the option. This issue is with that lamp/driver, not this app. A light should never turn on if sent a config command. Do a search, this has been talked about before.

1 Like

This is not an app problem or bug ive never said it was (but have now emphasised it in bold), it is a quirk of a specific Hue lamp, brought to light by using this app, even rule machine sending a configure command would turn the light on blue.

updated my post accordingly noticed that i wasn't on the latest version and you had added a config option toggle

1 Like

Device watchdog is working very well for me. One minor problem I am facing though, is with my "sengled element classic" bulbs, which are using "advanced zigbee bulb" driver. These bulbs are in a part of the house, where they are used less often. The problem is that if the bulb are not switched on, the last activity field does not get updated. This causes device watchdog to mark it as an issue device. Do I need to be turning each bulb in the house on and off every few days for device watchdog to work? Does not seem correct.