[RELEASE] Device Watchdog

Device Watchdog uses the Last Activity data to know if a device is reporting or not. If hub mesh is somehow updating this data field, then there isn't anything I can do about it. I would recommend using DW on each hub instead of using it with devices shared across hubs.

1 Like

Bryan, I have been using your App for about a year and it works great and very helpful. Recently I happened to notice my Aeotec Siren 6 has stopped reporting Activity. It was doing fine and while I rarely set it off, I did the other day and it never registered. I did notice that in HE device event log it shows "switch" on or "switch" off and not siren. Not sure if that is related or not. Have you heard anything from others about reporting issues using this device?
After a bit more research I see there is a "New" driver for this device and saw some issues raised with this driver. While I was unaware of the "new" driver I had not changed to it so I will look at trying that to see if it helps with your app.

Hi,
As I've mentioned several times, all DW does is check the Last Activity field for each device. If the device isn't working properly, then DW won't work either. Simple as that. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey Bryan,
After migrating from C5 to C7 hub I have been having issues with device activity. I run activity report every 6 hours, report on devices that have not had activity in 24 hours, and refresh if no activity in last 6 hours with delay at 2000. I'm getting devices not reporting in 1D, 18H - meaning they have been refreshed 6 times with no new activity.

If I run the activity report a second time it usually clears them (sometimes more than 2 times). I'm adjusting my settings to no activity in 5 hours and increasing delay to 3000 to see if it helps. Won't know until tomorrow, likely as I just cleared everything by running the report several times.

Weird this started after C7 migration - not sure if it is related. But only time I ever had alerts was when devices really weren't working.

G'day @bptworld,

I am keen to be able to show the status of groups of devices on my dashboards. Was wondering if you could add an option to flick a switch when there is something to report in those reports that have that conditional reporting option, such as battery status or special tracking reports? Basically I want to provide an indicator that something may be wrong, then use the notification / report as the follow up detail.

Come to think of it, flicking a switch here or even something similar when a notification comes into the Follow Me driver would also be useful....

Simon

Not sure I'm following you, a switch has been in DW since the beginning... :man_shrugging:

Hmmm.... Maybe I was on board early enough that dw was not covered by HPM... Let me make sure I am up to date and report back if I still need anything...

1 Like

Ah yes, I am on the latest version and completely missed that option in the battery report, thanks @bptworld.

With the other reports I produce on my dashboards, using either the status or special tracking reports, I don't think it makes sense to include a switch like I was requesting as well. There would be too many variables to account for I expect. I think I will handle this in an RM rule.

Simon

1 Like

I have started using Device Watchdog recently and have a few questions:

1. I am tracking the Sonoff contact sensors, using the special tracking option. When attribute "presence"="not present". But, i see that unlike activity and battery reports, the special tracking does not have an option to turn on a switch when the trigger is found. Is there any way for me to turn on a switch when special tracking trigger is true?
  2. Is there a way, so that if there is anything to report across Battery, Activity or Special tracking, then a switch should be turned on?
  3. If I choose to turn on a switch, when there is anything to report in Battery report, will the switch later be turned off automatically too, when there is nothing to report?
1 Like

I had exactly the same thoughts / question yesterday :slight_smile: I wondered whether it may get a bit complicated to achieve the configuration required, but would be interested to get Bryan's thoughts. If it does get developed I would also be interested in the number of devices that have something to report.

1. Yes, in the new release
  2. No, you could always use RM or EE to do this though
  3. Yes

In new release

New release on GitHub...

2.4.2 - 11/14/21 - Added a data switch to each type of reporting
- Added Attribute to store how many devices are reporting in each section
- Fixed multiple typos/missing stuff while adding these options.

3 Likes

Super appreciated! Thank you for being an integral part of this community!!
I'll try out the the new release.

Trying to update to the latest version , but I receive this error (see screenshot)

I just installed it just fine on another hub. Please try it again.

Nope - would not update this AM or twice this PM. Any troubleshooting steps I can take?

You can always update manually.

I just bumped up the version number and ran the update on HPM. Again, everything installed just fine. So it's not something with my GitHub or DW. :man_shrugging:

I would try doing a repair in HPM and see it that helps.

1 Like

Super - Thanks for checking!

I just updated using HPM with no problems.

3 Likes

Wondering how I can seperate the title from the value ...
I use Tile Master 2 to generate tiles for Android Dashboard. During creation of the tile I can display an attribute. In the case of Device Watchdog - I want to display 'No Data' for the attribute bpt-watchdogActivity1. The value stored on the device is 'Activity Report - No Data'. I can't find a way to parse just the 'No Data' value and drop the Activity Report portion of the string so that I can control color of the Title vs the attribute response - it seems to be hard coded. I believe the App is sending the concatenated string to the tile which is fine if I used the pre-created Device Watchdog Tile which has no flexibility - but for use in other Tiles, rules etc... I could really use a 'pure' value of the attribute!
I believe it may be easier to modify the Device Watchdog child to configure a variable under Report Options that gives an On/Off for 'Title of report on/off' which determines whether the passed value to the attribute of the Device includes the 'Activity Report -' (or Battery Report etc) or not.

1 Like