[RELEASE] Device Activity Check - Get notifications for "inactive" devices

For anyone curious about the first change I mentioned, new reports (with both LAN and cloud options available), I'm ready to share some progress on that. If you want, you can try that out by manually updating your app and following a couple other instructions:

1. Update the app code: Under Apps Code, update your copy of Device Activity Check by copying/pasting or importing the following code: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RMoRobert/Hubitat/master/apps/DeviceActivityCheck/deprecated/DeviceActivityCheck2.groovy
  2. Enable OAuth: Select OAuth, select Enable OAuth in App, and then select Update.
  3. Re-initialize the app: Navigate to Apps, open Device Activity Check, and simply select Done at the bottom (repeat if you have multiple instances, though the intent of the app is for you to really only need one...).

If you open the app again, you should now have LAN and cloud report links towards the bottom of the app. LAN is recommended unless you need other access. Either should take you to a report page with the same information as the "View current report" page, except this lives outside the regular app UI (and communicates to it using some HTTP endpoints, hence the need to enable OAuth above). I'm leaving the "old" page available for now, though it may be removed at some point if everyone finds the new pages a good replacement.

I'm still working on the second change I mentioned, separate child apps for each "group," ideally without the need to re-create everything to make in-place upgrades easier, but no updates on that yet. :slight_smile: Just a sort of preview/beta for now in case anyone wants to try!

8 Likes

Has there been any consideration given to activity checking a Konnected I/O system. For example checking if the boards are on the WiFi network every hour? I don't see Konnected hardware in the list of devices to check.

If there was a spare output/input I could pulse the output and monitor the "loopback" input ... but that is "expensive" in terms of cost and I/O utilization and most of my board's I/O are fully utilized.

Any suggestions would be useful.

What detection methods are you using? "Last Activity At" shows literally every device, so there's no reason this should be happening there. If you need a custom attribute, that will depemd on what is implemented. I'm not familiar with how those drivers work.

Thanks for responding so rapidly.

So given I probably don't know what I am talking about ... I think the difference is that the Konnected boards are not actually devices. The boards and the Konnected driver allow "devices" like doors and windows to be seen by Hubitat. So the boards are not shown in Device Activity Check "Select devices to monitor" dialog ... the doors and windows are.

Rick Lithgow happened to mention a solution to my problem in another thread. What I have done is used Hubitat to ping the two boards and I publish a notification based on whether the boards are "pingable."

If this can be done in in Device Activity Check I would still be interested to hear about the method.

@bertabcd1234 Is there any chance of having an Advanced Option that will only run the report if a switch is set, or will not run if a switch is set? Either option would work for me.

I assume you mean regarding the daily schedule? If so, I would suggest using the "switch" or "button" options for the notification instead of a daily schedule, then turn on the switch or push that button, etc. (either likely virtual) based on whatever schedule or other criteria you want. My hope was more intricate needs could use one of these options--the schedule in-app isn't required.

3 Likes

That works!

@bertabcd1234 Now another question. I have a group set up with an interval of three days for "Last Activity At" and want to change it to 1 day. I don't see any way to change it, and would have to delete it and create a new one. It appears that the value group1.intervalD is the value to change, but I see no way to change it. Am I stuck having to recreate this instance?

You're looking too hard. :smiley:

Click/tap into the group (in the regular UI, of course), and you'll get all options, including the ability to change the interval.

1 Like

I'm such an idiot. :flushed: Thanks, Robert.

@bertabcd1234 Thanks for a nice app. I have just installed in. However it has an issue... when I get my daily inactivity notifications in the Hubitat app, they stay for like 3 sec and disappear... not enough time to review.

go in the app on your phone and select notifications to review all prior notifications..

1 Like

Is there anyway to append the activity report to a variable for RM usage? I am trying to use custom notification sound for a specific report as I use pushover for my notifications. Or a clever way to append custom verbiage to the notification?

Would it make sense to setup another instance of the app and then you can send the notification to a different notification device? I think you can setup multiple pushover "devices" if I am not mistaken.

Otherwise, would it work if you pushed the notification to a virtual notification device (that stores it as an attribute)? Then you could grab the attribute from RM.

Here is a link to the Virtual Notification driver I have used before: Getting more out of notifications - #2 by thebearmay

2 Likes

Awesome. I didn't even think of making another pushover device and setting the default sound to a custom selection.

However, the virtual notifications is a fantastic approach. I could utilize this even further for other needs. Thank you, @jtp10181. :raised_hands:

Yes you can and you get an additional 10k notifications per month … or whatever it is.

I have a separate pushover ID for messages from my edgerouter setup - originally configured while I was debugging my arp notifier but I have left it in place. I was also thinking about setting up separate IDs for each HE.

Luckily I never go over 10k to need another pushover account. JTP is correct that you can have unlimited devices in HE under 1 pushover account. I went with the route of creating another pushover virtual device under my original account, specifically for this report to have custom notification sound. I tried virtual notification driver to push the report to an RM rule with custom sound, but it added html code from that driver to the pushover message that I didn't want to see. It also seemed like another rule that doesn't need to be ran to achieve the same results once the first report triggers.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t even hit 1k in a month myself but when I was debugging my arp driver I hit 1k in a few days. It was also nice to separate the traffic in the pushover interface.
I have three HEs that all use the same pushover key so I have to send a hub identifier with certain messages. I just thought individual keys would make it simpler.

Hi,
I would like to trigger an event based on the online-offline status of a wifi device. I only have status, not capability, so I cannot use Rule manager or webcore without checking the status every hours or so. I would like to minitor real time and update a variable or a switch, anything that can help trigger my webcore piston as soon as my device turn online. Is there something this app can do?
Thanks!

No.

This app allows you to

I still think it would ultimately do what you are looking for, just not in the exact way that you are wanting (which is normally unreliable, though I am not familiar with your specific device).

1 Like