[RELEASE] Custom Device Note App

Wow...just, wow. Really cool. Thank you!

2 Likes

Ok I thought that is what you were saying, but wanted to be sure.

So I guess it will do the job for you? :rofl:

Put the code out at
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thebearmay/hubitat/main/apps/devDataDisp.groovy
so that I don't lose it.

2 Likes

Ah...um....yes! :smiley:

I think it deserves it's own release thread...as long as you're willing to deal w/people endlessly asking you to update and modify it, something I would never do. :smiley:

But now I have to tell Bill Gates to cool it on the coding. That guy, every time I ask him for a small favor he's so helpful. :wink:

2 Likes

Now, if you just add it to HPM.... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Added to HPM, and will give it its own release thread shortly.

Edit: Release thread at:
[Release] Device Data Item Display
(I "borrowed" @danabw's screen shots.)

3 Likes

Found an issue, or misunderstanding by me. After successfully adding or updating any number of devices, the message Update Successful appears. Fine. Click Done, go back into app and the Update Successful notice is still there. Shouldn't it be reset to blank, or void or something?

Right now it is set to show the result of the last note add/update attempt.

I am having an issue with the latest release. After installing, I can enter something in the Custom Note Text field. However, after I enter anything in the Custom Note Name field and it loses focus, I get the following error:

The logs show this:

I have installed/uninstalled manually and using HPM. Same result.

Scott

Is this v1.0.3? Try doing a repair, looks like I typo'ed something when I did the promote to github.

2 Likes

I just tried to add some notes and had same issue as @spalexander68. Doing the repair has seemed to fix the issue for me.

2 Likes

Yes, it was 1.0.3. But a HPM repair fixed the issue it would seem.

2 Likes

Question: I'm somewhat confused.
I want to open up a new field for a particular device, so as to document it.
I used the app, and is is what I got:

How do I get a new field opened up on the device page, so I can add some documentation to it?

You add the name and the contents in the app and it then appears on the device page. You can't enter anything directly on the device page.

3 Likes

@thebearmay

Just looking for ways to cause trouble until the next beta build drops... :wink:

Was thinking that the names of the apps could be aligned (I sort of think of them as buddies like Turner and Hooch, or The Captain and Tenille) w/more consistent names, by using "Data" in each app:

• Custom Device Data
  • Device Data Display

Getting deeper into the rabbit hole, another type of change would clearly communicate the "read" vs. "write" capabilities of the apps, and would also (bonus!!) allow them to sit next to each other in the app list (and they have mentioned that they feel a bit lonely sitting next to other bigger apps that sometimes aren't so friendly):

• Device Data Editor
  • Device Data Display

Using "Data" consistently aligns the apps w/each other, and also w/the Data section on the Device pages.

But really this is just about 1) Me having a little free time on my hands, and 2) My app naming OCD, which was legendary at the company I used to work at, and can be safely ignored as long as you don't have to live w/me. :smiley:

Off now to talk to Kevin Feige about a couple of the upcoming MCU releases where I have some very specific suggestions about the titles...

6 Likes

You can always rename the Custom Device Note to be whatever you want. I use two different ones and renamed them both to describe the note I am adding.

1 Like

Yup, but when I've done that in the past and then not dealt w/the app for a long while it has caused me some confusiong looking for the wrong app name in the forums to ask a question. :slight_smile: But that's my issue. I just thought that it would be good to have the stock names adjusted as I noted to resolve my OCD/compulsion for everyone else, too. :wink:

Don't want to come off all fanboy-ish, but just did some updates on batteries on a motion sensor and leak sensor today, recording battery change date, and I absolutely love how I can manage this all in HE now, and the data is right there in front of me, either in the Data section of the Device page or in the Device Note Display app.

Five stars is not enough!

3 Likes

Another request for this fantastic app. Before selecting the devices to add notes to, have a selection box of device capabilities to select from. For instance, be able to select only battery devices, so its easier to populate them all with one template with battery type and battery date. I'm sure other device capabilities (if that is the right term) would be helpful to automatically select the target devices, but battery is the most important one for me.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly.
It appears you can only add one (the same) note to all devices you pick.
Unless you are supposed to select one device at a time, add the note, save it. Select another device, add the note, etc, etc.
I want to track the date I change the battery in a device.

This app is a great idea but I was really hoping to be able to add a note field directly into the device config/details screen.