[RELEASE] Conditional Image Server --> for dynamic dashboard background

IMHO custom device is easier for new user to understand and deploy. If you want the app to be extra users friendly custom device. If you want the app to to super duper user friendly, make either an option.

Nice work!

The new version does this. It also supports PNG and SVG file types

1 Like

App is in HPM

3 Likes

Sweet job Justin, thank you.

Hi - this looks very interesting and I was able to get it installed via HPM. I looked through Rule machine but nothing appears to have changed.

Can you please post an example of how to use it?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

The app doesn't change anything in Rule Machine, so not sure what you mean by this. If you select to store the URL in a custom device, use Rule Machine to access that custom device.

If you select to store the URL in a Global Connector, create the Global Connector in Rule Machine. See here for more info on that. Then open the app and select that created Global Connector from the dropdown menu, and then use Rule Machine to change the value of the Global Connector under different conditions.

So in the Conditional Image Server it will look like this:

And in Rule Machine it will look like this:

Then just set up rules in Rule Machine to change the value of the Global Connector however you'd like

1 Like

@JustinL its going to feel like I'm bombarding you today with questions on different threads ! Sorry wasn't targeting, just happened to be working on apps you have made. I have struck out a second time.
Getting the following in the logs:

It seems to pickup the right image based on RM. I'm using a Dynamic URL device

Edit: I'm storing the URL's on my hubitat. If that is not a good idea please let me know.

Hmm. I don't know. I haven't tried that. Does it work if you store the image elsewhere, with say a normal URL on the internet?

Normal internet URL

Also tried using global variable connectors. Same issue.

Is anyone else having the same issue of receiving a “Bad Request” in the log?

I've been thinking about / wanting this for some time now, glad it appeared up the list of latest posts, will definitely give it a go at some point soon. Would love to alternate the background of a dashboard based on the time of day, e.g. darker more moody backgrounds and styling at night vs a brighter interface during the day.

Simon

Hoping for a little more on how to use with RM and the virtual device. You say "access the device" in RM, but it is not clear what actions to run--I think this is what you mean by "Access" it. Can you lead me to water? I am trying to change the icon or tile color associated with a dashboard tile based on the state of a water sensor.

I’ve got several Nest cams, that with the new driver, shows the latest image at a url. Could this app rotate those images through a single image tile on my dashboard?

1 Like

Is there a way to have 3 tiles on a dash board, each having a different background?

Not at the moment. Wouldn’t be too hard to enhance tho. I’ll add it to my list to do at some point.

If you had dedicated URLs for each camera, you could use rule machine to periodically change which image displays.

if you go into the app code and change Line 31 from
singleInstance: true
to
singleInstance: false

you can install multiple instances and then have multiple tiles with different images, it works but (it's not pretty) when you go into the apps you have to figure out which one you need to modify by opening each one (or remembering the app numbers)

i've got 3 images on a dashboard but could do more if I wanted to

edited to add line #

How do I use rule machine to change the url on the Dynamic Image URL device?

Its the Set DashboardBackgroundUrl command in rule machine that I cant seem to find.