[RELEASE] Conditional Image Server --> for dynamic dashboard background

I've been thinking about / wanting this for some time now, glad it appeared up the list of latest posts, will definitely give it a go at some point soon. Would love to alternate the background of a dashboard based on the time of day, e.g. darker more moody backgrounds and styling at night vs a brighter interface during the day.

Simon

Hoping for a little more on how to use with RM and the virtual device. You say "access the device" in RM, but it is not clear what actions to run--I think this is what you mean by "Access" it. Can you lead me to water? I am trying to change the icon or tile color associated with a dashboard tile based on the state of a water sensor.

I’ve got several Nest cams, that with the new driver, shows the latest image at a url. Could this app rotate those images through a single image tile on my dashboard?

1 Like

Is there a way to have 3 tiles on a dash board, each having a different background?

Not at the moment. Wouldn’t be too hard to enhance tho. I’ll add it to my list to do at some point.

If you had dedicated URLs for each camera, you could use rule machine to periodically change which image displays.

if you go into the app code and change Line 31 from
singleInstance: true
to
singleInstance: false

you can install multiple instances and then have multiple tiles with different images, it works but (it's not pretty) when you go into the apps you have to figure out which one you need to modify by opening each one (or remembering the app numbers)

i've got 3 images on a dashboard but could do more if I wanted to

edited to add line #

How do I use rule machine to change the url on the Dynamic Image URL device?

Its the Set DashboardBackgroundUrl command in rule machine that I cant seem to find.

Have you done this?

I missed that step.

In the Device do I use GVar:DashboardBackgroundURL?

I unintentionally installed this. It will not allow me to remove the app or the device it created. Please help.

Please provide a log showing any errors with the uninstall

I just discovered that the "remove" app was in the gear icon. Usually it's at the bottom of the main page. Got it handled now.

1 Like

@JustinL Looks great. Trying out using the Custom Device setting.

How to change the URL on RM for the Custom Device - Dynamic Image URL Device.

I am planning to use this for a dynamic image based on Mode changes, So Global RM Variable pointing to a physical device is not viable as Mode is not a physical device.

You can set the global variable however you like. Doesn’t have to be tied to a physical device.

I have this working and it is amazing, thank you. I am wondering if there is a way to make it so that the custom URL is based on an actual URL, not an internal URL. I have my own domain and I would like to tie the URL to that, so that the dashboard displays the correct background image when I am outside of my home. Is there a way for this to work? Thank you.

No, I’m afraid this is a current limitation of Hubitat. Recent discussion about that limitation here:

FYI I have developed a new app in beta that implements all underlying logic for selecting between images based on common criteria, e.g., holidays, weather conditions and alerts, location mode, schedule, etc. All you have to do in this app is specify the image paths. No rule machine needed unless you want to use custom logic not handled by the app.